The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

So if you can't trade for a D. You can't sign a D because you can't move out money. You can't draft a D because it only addresses the problem 5-6 years from now. 

What's the plan here?

That's the million dollar question.  I hear lots of talk but no action.........say what you want about JB, but he did make moves toward an end goal, regardless of the outcome.

I like PA, but they need to start doing something here, and soon

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That's the million dollar question.  I hear lots of talk but no action.........say what you want about JB, but he did make moves toward an end goal, regardless of the outcome.

I like PA, but they need to start doing something here, and soon

Yeah agreed. Not doing anything is equally as bad as making bad moves. 

If we're not improving, and we're not acquiring future assets, we'll be stuck right in the middle where franchises go to die.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Also to be fair, you can't just draft for need either...that has bit us before.

It has, I agree.  Though I assume you're talking about OJ and that story hinges on injuries, we don't know what OJ actually could have been

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So only blow out wins count? Come on, you've listed 4 games out of how many since December? 

Your own statement..."we came back down 3-0" and "should have lost".  They won, so that's the takeaway there.

Also...there were many games where we outplayed the other team and deserved to win but didn't. It's how hockey is.

Wins/losses are a good indicator of how a team played and we were much better than many give us credit for.

We were better,  yes.

But even JR acknowledged that level of play was likely unsustainable for this roster over an entire season.   There's typically a 'bump' in play with a new coach and we faced a lot of backup goalies against visiting teams on back-to-back games. 

Yes, we were better in 2nd half but it's risky to believe a pace like that is sustainable for 80+ games with essentially the exact same roster in place. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Exactly..... It is all about balance, that's why you need good goaltending, depth up front with goal support and good defense. We really only have 1 of those so you just contradicted your point. If your goalie bails you out and is the main reason you're competitive then the team ISN'T BALANCED.

You can't expect your goalie to be the only reason you're competitive and have a chance at playoffs That means the team in front of him isn't good enough to compete with the best teams. 

It can't be any more straight forward. If Demko get's hurt this is 25-30 Win team.

Almost like when a top scorer gets hurt...

You're talking in extremes.

Again, I was just pointing out a goalie is a position on a team. The quality/level of any player should be taken into account when addressing the rest of the teams needs. 

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I think you are.

Did you see the team from December onward? Quite different and people don't factor that in. 

If you take those rose colored glasses off for just a sec, it's painfully obvious Demko single handedly stole about 10-15 games for us down that stretch. If you don't realize that you weren't watching nearly close enough - he was absolutely peppered. Demko masks this team faults. We are nowhere near a playoff team without him.

If Demko get's injured we are a 25-30 win team. I've factored many things in, that's why I post examples and statistics - not just a random opinion.

Edited by Harold Drunken

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Again, I was just pointing out a goalie is a position on a team. The quality/level of any player should be taken into account when addressing the rest of the teams needs. 

Not the same, at all.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So only blow out wins count? Come on, you've listed 4 games out of how many since December? 

Your own statement..."we came back down 3-0" and "should have lost".  They won, so that's the takeaway there.

Also...there were many games where we outplayed the other team and deserved to win but didn't. It's how hockey is.

Wins/losses are a good indicator of how a team played and we were much better than many give us credit for.

No, but blow out wins usually indicate you’re team played well and controlled the game.

I listed only 4 games, because those games were wins in December. The rest were losses. 

There was also a game against Carolina, that we managed to barely squeak out a win……without their best player.

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I can keep posting examples of how you're wrong. Mackinnon missed almost 20 games this year they were 13-3-1 without him. Did that hurt Colorado? I'll wait. 

Want to know why Colorado was still good without him? Good D and scoring depth throughout the lineup = BALANCED.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

They may own 2 homes then. I know they post a lot in Van if you follow their Instagram 

They rent here.  They live in Pittsburgh.  JR said management will worry if Miller isn’t traded by one month before the 2023 TDL. He didn’t mention they will be worried if he isn’t signed.  He said traded.  Miller will not relent-sign here.  Trade him before the 2023 TDL or see him do the Goudreau and walk for nothing.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Not the same, at all.  

I used the word 'almost' for a reason. 

And I was pointing out a flaw in logic regarding how some see the goal position on any team.

No team has stars in all positions. If you have a Sid or a McJesus ( am I allowed to call him that under the new CDC rules?) you can count on them for a certain amount of points. Similar if you have a top goalie, you can rely on them to stop a certain amount of points.

Hope that clears it up for you.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They rent here.  They live in Pittsburgh.  JR said management will worry if Miller isn’t traded by one month before the 2023 TDL. He didn’t mention they will be worried if he isn’t signed.  He said traded.  Miller will not relent-sign here.  Trade him before the 2023 TDL or see him do the Goudreau and walk for nothing.  

Are you sure about the rent and own? Regardless, from what I’ve seen with his family posts, they seem very happy here

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I can keep posting examples of how you're wrong. Mackinnon missed almost 20 games this year they were 13-3-1 without him. Did that hurt Colorado? I'll wait. 

Want to know why Colorado was still good without him? Good D and scoring depth throughout the lineup.

Did you miss my comment about balance?

I swear you even quoted and agreed.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I used the word 'almost' for a reason. 

And I was pointing out a flaw in logic regarding how some see the goal position on any team.

No team has stars in all positions. If you have a Sid or a McJesus ( am I allowed to call him that under the new CDC rules?) you can count on them for a certain amount of points. Similar if you have a top goalie, you can rely on them to stop a certain amount of points.

Hope that clears it up for you.

I didn't need clarification.  If your stars aren't producing, it's rough, but you have multiple other skaters to compensate.  If your goalie isn't playing well, you're toast no matter how many goals you score.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Did you miss my comment about balance?

I swear you even quoted and agreed.

Are you insinuating we have the same balance and depth as Colorado therefore we can afford to lose Demko and remain competitive like they remained competitive without Mackinnon? Boy I sure hope not.

Apples to hand grenades, we aren't even in the same league. 

Also, losing you're top tier staring goalie is not the same as losing one of your top forwards. The Mackinnon example proves your point wrong.

Edited by Harold Drunken

Just now, stawns said:

I didn't need clarification.  If your stars aren't producing, it's rough, but you have multiple other skaters to compensate.  If your goalie isn't playing well, you're toast no matter how many goals you score.  

I get you.

Unless youre the 80's Oilers you are pretty much right.

Still, and again. A good goalie is part of the team and should be taken into account when trying to put together a balanced line up. If you are strong in net, in theory, you can assign more attribute to other areas. 

• Vintage 1