The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

14 minutes ago, BPA said:

So say they get more experience and Miller walks away for nothing.  Losing any potential assets.

So what is next summer strategy?  Load up on UFAs (and overpay) to get back into the playoffs?  Use draft picks to get rid of unwanted contracts?  Seems like the Benning model.

Other than Rathbone and Klim, I don’t see any cheap ELCs coming in. 

Karlsson, Aman, Lockwood, maybe Filip Johansson all have a chance at this after 1-2 seasons in Abby. 

Edited by JM_

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Ask any flames fan now and after this year if they would have traded Johnny hockey at last year's TDL.

yeah but hindsight is easy. If you'd asked them during the year I suspect the fanbase would have been split on it. How many want Tkachuk gone now, since he's likely walking in a year? 

14 minutes ago, BPA said:

So say they get more experience and Miller walks away for nothing.  Losing any potential assets.

So what is next summer strategy?  Load up on UFAs (and overpay) to get back into the playoffs?  Use draft picks to get rid of unwanted contracts?  Seems like the Benning model.

That’s very optimistic on Klim, he is a long-term project probably 2-3 years from spot duty on club if grows a lot. 
Very inconsistent effort especially defensively last year. Impressive as an 18 year playing in the AHL but has a lot of development to go. 

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Karlsson, Aman, Lockwood, maybe Filip Johansson all have a chance at this after 1-2 seasons in Abby. 

So bottom 6 forwards?  Where’s the D?

I keep hearing Canucks D suck but nothing (so far) is changing and no D prospects on the RHD.  Canucks have one of the most expensive D core that needs fixing.

10 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Ask any flames fan now and after this year if they would have traded Johnny hockey at last year's TDL.

True, but had they won the cup that number would be a lot closer to zero. Every year a bunch of teams will waste good assets on rental players because they have a shot. Sometimes that rental player already belongs to you.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, BPA said:

So say that doesn't happen?

Whats the value of experience on any individual player and as a group?

These things we cannot know. 

1 minute ago, BPA said:

So bottom 6 forwards?  Where’s the D?

I keep hearing Canucks D suck but nothing (so far) is changing and no D prospects on the RHD.  Canucks have one of the most expensive D core that needs fixing.

Whats wrong with bottom 6 F's on ELCs? isn't that a key area to have good value?

FJ is a RHD. 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Hindsight is 20/20 

Shouldn't be hindsight though.  A great Manager doesn't let their star get to be a UFA without some sense of direction.  With that said, I recall the Sedins going to UFA status (I think the year they dropped the large donation).  It's such a huge gamble and it destroys a team to let a star walk away unless you have the luxury of having too many stars.

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

True, but had they won the cup that number would be a lot closer to zero. Every year a bunch of teams will waste good assets on rental players because they have a shot. Sometimes that rental player already belongs to you.

Even without hindsight, I'm sure more people would have been willing to take that bet in the flames last year over our the Canucks this year. The flames were legit contenders last year, I haven't seen anyone besides a few people here have that sort of confidence as the Canucks even with how we stand right now. Most have us as a bubble team, just like last year.

Personally I'm 100% unwilling to see this team keep JT, scrape into a playoff spot to be bounced in the first or second round. Losing JT for nothing or signing him for an 8 year contract both seem bad for the team long-term. This team, as constructed can not beat the powerhouse teams in a best of 7. This team also has very few avenues to get better if we don't make change if we stick to our guns and keep trucking forward as is. We need cap space and prospects if we want to get better.

If JT is willing to sign a team friendly contract this is all moot. I'm all in if he wants to sign a 4 or 5 year deal. But so far we haven't seen any indication he is willing to do that. From the little we hear, the rumor mill seems to indicate he is more keen on leaving then staying and giving a team friendly deal.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

So say that doesn't happen?

Whats the value of experience on any individual player and as a group?

These things we cannot know. 

So we hope Miller re-signs a fair contract and he doesn’t pull a Gaudreau?

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

So we hope Miller re-signs a fair contract and he doesn’t pull a Gaudreau?

until we see different, sure why not? 

JR has been very clear on this too, he's said JT won't be here after the TDL if there's no extension. So we might as well try to convince him to stay up to that point. Its really one of the few things we have clarity on regarding the situation. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Even without hindsight, I'm sure more people would have been willing to take that bet in the flames last year over our the Canucks this year. The flames were legit contenders this year, I haven't seen anyone besides a few people here have that sort of confidence as the Canucks even with how we stand right now. Most have us as a bubble team, just like last year.

Personally I'm 100% unwilling to see this team keep JT, scrape into a playoff spot to be bounced in the first or second round. Losing JT for nothing or signing him for an 8 year contract both seem bad for the team long-term. This team, as constructed can not beat the powerhouse teams in a best of 7. This team also has very few avenues to get better if we don't make change if we stick to our guns and keep trucking forward as is. We need cap space and prospects if we want to get better.

I agree with this but not many predicted Calgary to be so dominant last year either.

My POV is that if PA can sign JT to what he feels is a reasonable deal he will. If not, he’ll trade him for what he sees as the best offer. Either way a lot of  PA’s reputation and the Canucks’ fortunes will be tied to the outcome. Since I don’t know where the negotiations or trade offers stand I will reserve judgement and give him time and space to make the best deal either way.

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

But the Canucks now have a standard to base their actions on in this case.  No one should want to be Calgary at this time next year

The problem is it’s not a black or white situation.  

What if they want to keep him but just haven’t found a deal that works yet? 
What if they want to move him but they can’t get what they want from potential trading partners? 

What if you go into the season and are competing for a playoff spot (with Miller bring a big factor). How do you then move him for futures and face the players that are left when you’ve essentially told them you have zero faith in them to get the job done? 

22 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

But we don’t have a shot..

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Playoffs + cup contender status > getting some assets for your top player while being projected as a top contender. Not rocket appliances lol