The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

7 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I Keep Seeing Penguins for Boeser

I heard john marino is part of what Vancouver wants for Boeser 

I mean maybe they would do something like this:

John Marino+ sam Poulin+ conditional 1st (if Brock signs a new deal with them) 

You can’t have a pick conditional on a player re-signing anymore 

7 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Not enough insight on the pens players to determine if that's fair or not, but Marino seems like a good fit for us and Boeser is a perfect fit for the Pens top 6 short term.

3 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Ovechkin? He scored 50 early sure, but the only time he scored consecutive 50 goal seasons was right around that peak the study spoke of. If anything he is a prime example of why that study works. Stamkos started putting up a better ppg within late 20s range as well.

Yeah players may lose a bit of speed, but they also get much smarter with age...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yeah players may lose a bit of speed, but they also get much smarter with age...

Exactly correct. That's why the peak is where it is. In recent years we have seen players entering the league at a higher level due to advancements in physical fitness. Even 10 years ago it was rare for a 20 year old to enter the league and dominate because they simply didn't have the body for it. These kids are training from a very young age at an elite level now though.

We have seen massive advancements in young athletes physical development, but brain development still takes time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Just let them work out an extension ahead of the deal. 

I'd strongly consider that offer if it's actually on the table... Didn't think Marino would be available. Somehow doubt we'd get all three pieces either..

Sounds like the return will need to include a good, young D.  My guess, with OEL and Hughes taking up the top two LD spots, they'll be looking for a RD for Quinn. 

* my preference:

(RD) Justin Barron - COL

(RD) Andrew Peeke - CBJ

(LD/RD) Jake Bean - CBJ

(RD) Sean Durzi - LA

(RD) Brandt Clarke - LA (highly doubtful) *
(RD) Helge Grans - LA

(LD/RD) Ty Smith - NJ

(RD) Braden Schneider - NYR (highly doubtful) *

(RD) Nils Lundkvist - NYR *

(RD) John Marino - PIT (highly doubtful) *

(RD) Timothy Liljegren - TOR *

(LD/RD) Travis Dermott - TOR

(LD/RD) Rasmus Sandin - TOR

Other LDs they could target, if Quinn plays the right side

(LD) Bowen Byram - COL

(LD) Carson Lambos - MIN

(LD) Shakir Mulkhamadullin - NJ

(LD) K'Andre Miller - NYR

(LD) Pierre-Olivier Joseph - PIT

(LD) Martin Fehervary - WAS

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

would Boeser for Byram straight up be acceptable for anyone?  Maybe a clause saying the get a compensation draft pick if he can't play?

We don't really need a LHD. I'd personally like to sign Brock long term at a team-friendly deal. I really think he'll have a bounce back offseason and be back to his former self, which sees his skating much improved compared to this year after his early season injury. But, the reality is that we need a young stud RHD, so if Brock can net us that return then we might just have to pull the trigger. I worry what that will do to the team culture, especially with how Brock has expressed wanting to stay with the team. 

19 hours ago, coryberg said:

The study was in 2014. Hard to believe that human physiology has changed in the past 8 years.

As for boesers rookie year vs his recent performance? In his rookie year he had a .89ppg% last season he had a .88ppg%.... talk about downhill!!!

What about all the other seasons? .81 .79 .65 but sure let's all ignore his decline. 

Edited by Ferlands_Head
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Ovechkin? He scored 50 early sure, but the only time he scored consecutive 50 goal seasons was right around that peak the study spoke of. If anything he is a prime example of why that study works. Stamkos started putting up a better ppg within late 20s range as well.

Ovi scored 65 before he was 25 and scored 56 a season after those were his best goal scoring years at ages 23-24 does that not count as consecutive 50 goal seasons? Also he may have scored 50 around the peak the study spoke of but his points fell off hard, Stamkos also scored 60 before the age of 25 and had his only 50 goal seasons before the age of 25. 

There's nothing in that study that proves goal scorers score more at around 28 years old unless your're a late bloomer like Marchand

11 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Ovi scored 65 before he was 25 and scored 56 a season after those were his best goal scoring years at ages 23-24 does that not count as consecutive 50 goal seasons? Also he may have scored 50 around the peak the study spoke of but his points fell off hard, Stamkos also scored 60 before the age of 25 and had his only 50 goal seasons before the age of 25. 

There's nothing in that study that proves goal scorers score more at around 28 years old unless your're a late bloomer like Marchand

But your example doesn't line up. Very few players are able to do what Ovechkin does. Many more players hit their prime in their mid to late 20s. You can't use him as an example of his entire career is his prime.

I'm not gonna bother arguing it because... Well numbers show it. I have spent the last 2 years having people deny numbers ain't gonna get into it again here.

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

I really like Brock as a person.  He's genuine, and just an all around nice guy.  Because of that, I'm hoping he's not greedy and comes in at a fair deal.  $6M to $6.5M AAV is fair, and it'd be awesome to keep him at that range for 4 or 5 years anyways. 

Our team has a lot of firepower when it's clicking... the fact we've averaged over 4 GPG in the last little while tells a lot.

Toffoli…

God damn it.

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sounds like the return will need to include a good, young D.  My guess, with OEL and Hughes taking up the top two LD spots, they'll be looking for a RD for Quinn. 

* my preference:

(RD) Justin Barron - COL

(RD) Andrew Peeke - CBJ

(LD/RD) Jake Bean - CBJ

(RD) Sean Durzi - LA

(RD) Brandt Clarke - LA (highly doubtful) *
(RD) Helge Grans - LA

(LD/RD) Ty Smith - NJ

(RD) Braden Schneider - NYR (highly doubtful) *

(RD) Nils Lundkvist - NYR *

(RD) John Marino - PIT (highly doubtful) *

(RD) Timothy Liljegren - TOR *

(LD/RD) Travis Dermott - TOR

(LD/RD) Rasmus Sandin - TOR

Other LDs they could target, if Quinn plays the right side

(LD) Bowen Byram - COL

(LD) Carson Lambos - MIN

(LD) Shakir Mulkhamadullin - NJ

(LD) K'Andre Miller - NYR

(LD) Pierre-Olivier Joseph - PIT

(LD) Martin Fehervary - WAS

Again, and again again, Schenn is the perfect partner for Hughes.

Schenn is very close to the Hughes family from his time in Toronto when the Hughes brothers were hanging out with the Leafs.

A stay at home defenseman, Schenn is ideal for Hughes to skate circles around the opposition. Schenn also give massive confidence to Hughes, and therefore the entire team.

Remember the years Schenn was in Tampa Bay. Hughes basically was getting rag dolled. 

Schenn comes back and Hughes stars for the Canucks again.

No other player is better to play with Hughes than 5OA08 Luke Schenn, especially at his salary.

Not everything is about points and analytics.

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

But your example doesn't line up. Very few players are able to do what Ovechkin does. Many more players hit their prime in their mid to late 20s. You can't use him as an example of his entire career is his prime.

I'm not gonna bother arguing it because... Well numbers show it. I have spent the last 2 years having people deny numbers ain't gonna get into it again here.

Ok let's not compare Ovechkin then. What about other players guys like Tarasenko, Zibanejad, Toews 

The numbers you speak of from UBC took data from 97-98 to 2011.  Here's some more recent data from 08-2016

This study here shows players peak from 22-25 which is more in line with modern nhl players imo.

evo-war-graph.png