The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

20 hours ago, CJ44 said:

I'd rather see coaching and management change rather than roster turnover...we had/have some pieces of a good young core...have we really seen the best of them and what they are capable of? Likely not....would be nice to see what it would look like under a different coach and system. The blueline is the only part of the roster I'd like to see blown up frankly. It's a knee jerk reaction to be looking to blow this team up right now but it should start at the top...the roster is better than what level they are playing at right now.

if it's a toxic dressing room then a new coach isn't going to make a difference and he will be coming into a toxic situation with players and dressing room dynamics he's not familiar with.  Solve the dressing room first, then bring in a new coach if needed.

I don't think people realize the effect dressing room issues have on a team

• Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

if it's a toxic dressing room then a new coach isn't going to make a difference and he will be coming into a toxic situation with players and dressing room dynamics he's not familiar with.  Solve the dressing room first, then bring in a new coach if needed.

bored d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

You bet.   Regardless of a new coach, if they won't be coached or have a division  in the room then it needs to be excised with a scalpel.    Messier days 100% wrong with whom they cut out.   At least in the short term.    

• Wat 1

On 11/24/2021 at 10:16 PM, CanucksJay said:

Can you take less than 7.5?

If so, canucks should offer 7m x 6 with performance bonuses that could take him up to 8.5m if he plays like some of us think he can (over pt / game and 40 goals) 

That would be fair to both sides. 

Not possible to have performance bonuses on normal contracts.

Performance bonuses are only possible on ELCs within defined parameters, 1 year contract for players age 35 or older and 1 year contract for players with 400 NHL games who have spent at least 100 days on IR the season before.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

"If" Its a toxic dressing room. We don't know that it is we don't know that it isn't. Even if it is, it doesn't mean turning over the roster...could be one player. could be 2. All speculation and hearsay, regardless this organization needs a change at the top. They'll obviously need to address the speculated locker room issues thats stating the obvious.

Edited by CJ44
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Agreed. I think a good example of this would be how none of the players in Edmonton had drive for the longest time. I don't know how (or if) there was drama there, but they certainly kept going through coaches like a revolving door for a while.

I honestly kind of hope the locker room issues aren't as bad as the media makes them out to be because, if this is the case, we might be having trouble for a long time.

• Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Agreed. I think a good example of this would be how none of the players in Edmonton had drive for the longest time. I don't know how (or if) there was drama there, but they certainly kept going through coaches like a revolving door for a while.

I honestly kind of hope the locker room issues aren't as bad as the media makes them out to be because, if this is the case, we might be having trouble for a long time.

It depends on how deep the divide is (if there is one)  If it's just 2-3 players, it's not so bad to cut the head of the snake, but if we're looking at an evenly divided room that'd be a big problem

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   Regardless of a new coach, if they won't be coached or have a division  in the room then it needs to be excised with a scalpel.    Messier days 100% wrong with whom they cut out.   At least in the short term.    

We don't even know if there actually is a division in the locker room let alone how many players it involves or magnitude...its all speculation and hearsay. Benning and Greens track records and resume however are not hearsay and in fact on paper and in front of our eyes. It makes no sense to blow the team apart before making changes at GM and coaching which is why they won't and why teams almost always make that change first. then potentially get rid of a player or two who are locker room issues......IF that indeed exists. History has repeatedly shown us the changes will start at the top first.

Edited by CJ44
added
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

So what are you saying. keep Green and Benning and blow up the team and assume they'll both do a better job with a different roster or are you saying blow up the roster and make changes at the top? Saying they need to get rid of the locker room issues (if they exist) is just stating the obvious. Neither of them have been able to do much with different players either.

Edited by CJ44

2 hours ago, CJ44 said:

So what are you saying. keep Green and Benning and blow up the team and assume they'll both do a better job with a different roster or are you saying blow up the roster and make changes at the top? Saying they need to get rid of the locker room issues (if they exist) is just stating the obvious. Neither of them have been able to do much with different players either.

I'm not providing any solution because I don't know the situation. None of us do. If you want a solution, you're not going to get one, at least not one you should probably trust. lol

I don't know if it was your intention to put words in my mouth, but that seems to be what you're doing here.

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I'm not providing any solution because I don't know the situation. None of us do. If you want a solution, you're not going to get one, at least not one you should probably trust. lol

I don't know if it was your intention to put words in my mouth, but that seems to be what you're doing here.

The statement that you said "Agreed" to stated that a coaching change  wouldn't solve anything and that they would need to change the dressing room personnel first. What I was saying is there's no proof of a rift in the dressing room but lots of proof coaching and scheme issues and beyond thats all. I never put words in your mouth, you Agreed to a statement offering a solution.

Edited by CJ44
  • Wat 1

43 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

The statement that you said "Agreed" to stated that a coaching change  wouldn't solve anything and that they would need to change the dressing room personnel first. What I was saying is there's no proof of a rift in the dressing room but lots of proof coaching and scheme issues and beyond thats all. I never put words in your mouth, you Agreed to a statement offering a solution.

This is incorrect. Just because I agreed with what stawns said doesn't mean I'm offering a solution. If anything, that would be on stawns, and I don't even think he was even offering a solution. If anything, it's stating firing Green might NOT be the end all solution if the issues are as bad as what the media are making them out to be. That's it. How that's a solution in your mind is beyond me.

Now please drop it. You absolutely are putting words in my mouth at this point and being insistent on things that I never said and I honestly have no idea why you are on this petty soapbox you're on.

Edited by The Lock
  • Wat 1

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Whatever rift is in the dressing room that's a problem. 

JB isn't free and clear either.   And of the two - i'd wager Travis Green gets a shot before JB does if they both get fired.   Know a large portion of the CDC thinks they could do a better job then Green, who's been an assistant coach/gm since 2008...they are likely wrong.   It's for sure a personnel problem.   Expecting a coach to continually deal with half a new roster, year in year out without some hiccups is ludicrous.   Know this isn't popular and i don't care, and it's not about being right, this team is flawed.   How can a coach take a bottom six of AHLers, two "regulars" in QHs and Myers (both who's faults have been covered over and over again on this site) and a bunch of AHLers again who can't kill penalties and expect him to make us into a good playoff or regular season team?   When your best young stars aren't performing too.  A mess.   Like Mess-ier level Mess.

I have to agree.  Probably both should go and a couple players at least, not likely to be a single magic bullet to fix things.

I would prefer they fire Benning and Weisbrod, hire a President who can make some organizational guy like Smyl and Gear as interim GMs while he does a search.

Leave Green in until at least late in the season so the new bosses can get a sense of who would need to replace him.  We aren’t going anywhere this year at all anyways, so the only thing I am worried about is the current GM making changes  that negatively effect the future… and there is no question changes need to be made.

On 11/23/2021 at 12:32 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

A few months ago, Benning had Aquilini convinced this was a playoff team with a good young core group. How does him now going to Aquilini and saying he needs to trade Miller or Boeser show anything but a complete lack of insight into the team he actually built? If I was Aquilini all it would tell me is to fire him.

A few months ago, we, including you from your high horse, thought that Pettersson and Boeser were legit 1st line calibre talents that would play a major role in driving this teams’ offense.  Benning and Aqua thought the same.  Silly us?

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

A few months ago, we, including you from your high horse, thought that Pettersson and Boeser were legit 1st line calibre talents that would play a major role in driving this teams’ offense.  Benning and Aqua thought the same.  Silly us?

Pettersson and Boeser are still legitimate 1st line talents. They just aren’t good dump and chase players. Get real coaches that can coach a puck possession/puck support style and they will turn things around I think. 

The problems with this team are below average coaching and a lame duck GM who still thinks the coaches are great.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Pettersson and Boeser are still legitimate 1st line talents. They just aren’t good dump and chase players. Get real coaches that can coach a puck possession/puck support style and they will turn things around I think. 

The problems with this team are below average coaching and a lame duck GM who still thinks the coaches are great.

Boeser and Pettersson had their best years under Green's system, even won the calder. They are both now having their worst. Maybe their success should be attributed to Newell Brown?

Boeser has 8 points in 18 games, EP 10 points in 21 games. Pettersson is falling all over the place. Boeser is missing the net frequently. Both are losing puck battles frequently and both look slow. That's not on Green or his system.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

He is paid millions to be a General Manager in the NHL and has access to significant resources of an almost billion dollar business.

It is foolish logic to defend him by saying he gets almost as much or sometimes as much right as random people on the Internet.

His job is to create a team that makes the playoffs and is competitive.  He has HD 8 years to do that and the team is worse than when he started.

He is worse at the job than anyone else who has the same role in the league.  The only guys who have done worse have been fired or are hobbled with internal budgets by owners who want to spend as little as possible.

Benning is terrible at his job.  Full stop.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Boeser and Pettersson had their best years under Green's system, even won the calder. They are both now having their worst. Maybe their success should be attributed to Newell Brown?

Boeser has 8 points in 18 games, EP 10 points in 21 games. Pettersson is falling all over the place. Boeser is missing the net frequently. Both are losing puck battles frequently and both look slow. That's not on Green or his system.

Take another look at how predictable and static the pp is. When EP and Boeser were lighting it up, it was because both were used as shooting options on the pp. the Hughes to EP to Hughes to Miller to Hughes to EP to a lost puck and a clear by their pk is a huge reason they have suffered offensively. 

Neither are playing great but Green being unable to adjust is a huge factor. These are not dump and chase guys.