The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

Imo, he's barely worth the deal he's on now

Yeah but it's also a down year. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes? Petey earlier in the year was also not worth it and people were talking about moving him etc... 

Would you agree Brock was much better last year? 

With Brock, the concern is that I've seen him play slow and uninspired previously (before the bubble) and realized after that he was still recovering from back injury. 

I have no idea what is going on now. 

If he is affective only half the time then yes I agree, move him but is there a chance he'll bounce back to last year Brock and remain consistent? 

Even as I write this, I'm not entirely convinced either. 

I would say move him if the offer is good but don't give him away unless hes going for max money. 

If he's willing to sign for a fair price, then sign him and hope he bounces back. We can kick the can down the road later and trade him then if it doesn't work out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Brock is alright, but I can't see how the Canucks pay him $7+

Maybe he accepts $6.5 for 3 years? (as a show us more deal)  I think he likes playing in VAN, but then if they re-sign him, others have to go, like maybe Garland or Myers.

I think they need to get more aggressive and faster

• Vintage 1

He's a great, quality character, there's no doubt about that. But IF you can land good value, think they should move,

We need to keep injecting more speed(esp wingers)..the stuff that can't be taught.

We also need to reallocate some fwd cap AAV towards a sturdier blueline.

A Boeser deal can accomplish a few objectives in one fell swoop.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

He's a great, quality character, there's no doubt about that. But IF you can land good value, think they should move,

We need to keep injecting more speed(esp wingers)..the stuff that can't be taught.

We also need to reallocate some fwd cap AAV towards a sturdier blueline.

A Boeser deal can accomplish a few objectives in one fell swoop.

How much does more speed on the wing help the other forwards and the d-men looking for an outlet pass? That said the trade of Boeser, Miller or Garland has to bring back a player with top 4 d-side capabilities. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

How much does more speed on the wing help the other forwards and the d-men looking for an outlet pass? That said the trade of Boeser, Miller or Garland has to bring back a player with top 4 d-side capabilities. 

Certainly has to be the right guys to learn. Had someone in Sept/Oct projected the pivotal roles guys like Lammikko & Highmore would provide, their comments would've been disregarded.

Changes a team so much if you've got 6-8 guys with such jets, sprinkled throughout a roster. Rivals with McD, Connor types can be neutralized. The PK breakaways start becoming more of a threat, rendering rival PP's more hesitant.

I hope it's an ingredient they eagerly seek out.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Could maybe circle back to Boston and Jake DeBrusk.  Could be a little more cost effective.  I like Boeser, always have right from the get-go but that qualifying 

offer is way out of line as it sits now.  Pretty sure it must be on his mind too.  Pressure!  Renegotiating would be advisable if he has aspirations of staying put.

Unfortunately agents get in the way with their greed.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:45 PM, coryberg said:

A study at UBC business school found that NHL players peak at age 28, Brock just turned 25 a week ago :picard:

How old was that study? Most modern NHL goal scorers have their peak goal scoring years before 25 (Ovechkin, Zack Parise, Eric Staal , Stamkos, Bure the list goes on.)  I feel like Brock hasn’t even matched his rookie season in all these years. If u look at his rookie season highlights his release was exceptional and he was better at creating space for himself. I feel like he’s lost that quick release along with foot speed. It could be that he bulked up to 205 vs 185 in his rookie season or he’s damaged goods. 

• Huggy Bear 1

With Brock set to receive $7.5 (his QA), could this actually lessen the return? Another team picking him up has to pay his hefty salary.

Is it possible the Canucks don't get as much as we're hoping in a Boeser trade?

to NJ for Zacha and Bahl

?? seems underwhelming

3 hours ago, Muttley said:

Could maybe circle back to Boston and Jake DeBrusk.  Could be a little more cost effective.  I like Boeser, always have right from the get-go but that qualifying 

offer is way out of line as it sits now.  Pretty sure it must be on his mind too.  Pressure!  Renegotiating would be advisable if he has aspirations of staying put.

I agree; getting Debrusk from Boston for Boeser would be perfect, given his lower QO. This would allow us the room to resign Miller and Horvat next year. We just need to find a dance partner to take Dickenson off our hands. Maybe in a package with Myers and draft picks going to ARZ for Chychrun?

Podz-Petterson-Garland

Pearson-Horvat-Debrusk

Hogs-Miller-Motte

Sutter/FA-Lammiko-Highmore

OEL-Hamonic

Hughes-Schenn

Chuchrun-Poolman

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

How old was that study? Most modern NHL goal scorers have their peak goal scoring years before 25 (Ovechkin, Zack Parise, Eric Staal , Stamkos, Bure the list goes on.)  I feel like Brock hasn’t even matched his rookie season in all these years. If u look at his rookie season highlights his release was exceptional and he was better at creating space for himself. I feel like he’s lost that quick release along with foot speed. It could be that he bulked up to 205 vs 185 in his rookie season or he’s damaged goods. 

The study was in 2014. Hard to believe that human physiology has changed in the past 8 years.

As for boesers rookie year vs his recent performance? In his rookie year he had a .89ppg% last season he had a .88ppg%.... talk about downhill!!!

McCann, on pace for over 30 goals and 50 points just got a $5M AAV deal over 5 years.  McCann also plays in all situations, and does it quite well too.

Surely this would be the benchmark for Boeser.  I'd say Boeser is probably worth a bit more as he does have a 70 point pace season under his belt last year, plus more consistent offensive output over the past 5 years.  However, I still think he shouldn't get anything more than $6.5M AAV... and that's on the high end.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

McCann, on pace for over 30 goals and 50 points just got a $5M AAV deal over 5 years.  McCann also plays in all situations, and does it quite well too.

Surely this would be the benchmark for Boeser.  I'd say Boeser is probably worth a bit more as he does have a 70 point pace season under his belt last year, plus more consistent offensive output over the past 5 years.  However, I still think he shouldn't get anything more than $6.5M AAV... and that's on the high end.

The key on McCann; "plays in all situations". Brock does not. He isn't worth more than Garland in my opinion.

Edited by BC_Hawk

5 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

The key on McCann; "plays in all situations". Brock does not. He isn't worth more than Garland in my opinion.

Well, if he does sign for something between $5M and $6M, you can guarantee this entire core will stay together because we could definitely afford Miller at $9M+ then.

On 3/7/2022 at 8:14 AM, CanucksJay said:

Yeah but it's also a down year. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes? Petey earlier in the year was also not worth it and people were talking about moving him etc... 

Would you agree Brock was much better last year? 

With Brock, the concern is that I've seen him play slow and uninspired previously (before the bubble) and realized after that he was still recovering from back injury. 

I have no idea what is going on now. 

If he is affective only half the time then yes I agree, move him but is there a chance he'll bounce back to last year Brock and remain consistent? 

Even as I write this, I'm not entirely convinced either. 

I would say move him if the offer is good but don't give him away unless hes going for max money. 

If he's willing to sign for a fair price, then sign him and hope he bounces back. We can kick the can down the road later and trade him then if it doesn't work out. 

he was ok, but last year is a pretty low bar for the rest of the team too.  

17 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Ovechkin? He scored 50 early sure, but the only time he scored consecutive 50 goal seasons was right around that peak the study spoke of. If anything he is a prime example of why that study works. Stamkos started putting up a better ppg within late 20s range as well.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

he was ok, but last year is a pretty low bar for the rest of the team too.  

Gotta give credit where credit is due... he was pretty darn good last year... on pace for 34 goals and 72 points would put him right up there in the NHL.  In fact, he finished 29th overall in NHL scoring last year (21st overall in goals).  If the "bar" is the entire NHL, then  he did pretty good lol

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Gotta give credit where credit is due... he was pretty darn good last year... on pace for 34 goals and 72 points would put him right up there in the NHL.  In fact, he finished 29th overall in NHL scoring last year (21st overall in goals).  If the "bar" is the entire NHL, then  he did pretty good lol

Lol sometimes its hard to take off our hate blinders

I am more chill about Brock because prior to the bubble, i was so adamant in wanting him off the team. 

Too slow, poor defensive awareness etc.  I had forgotten how good he was when he was healthy before the back injury. 

He then played amazing in the bubble and carried it on to last season and made me eat my words. 

I see how much he cares about this team. I saw how upset he was after the Matthews turnover goal. I habe no idea whats going on in his personal life (hia father etc). We know he is a solid character so there are no character issues. 

My hope is that he signs a contract at a fair price, works his butt off in the summer on his skating and becomes a solid part of our core. 

To think we would keep guys like Dickinson over Brock makes no sense to me unless Brock is asking for the moon. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol sometimes its hard to take off our hate blinders

I am more chill about Brock because prior to the bubble, i was so adamant in wanting him off the team. 

Too slow, poor defensive awareness etc.  I had forgotten how good he was when he was healthy before the back injury. 

He then played amazing in the bubble and carried it on to last season and made me eat my words. 

I see how much he cares about this team. I saw how upset he was after the Matthews turnover goal. I habe no idea whats going on in his personal life (hia father etc). We know he is a solid character so there are no character issues. 

My hope is that he signs a contract at a fair price, works his butt off in the summer on his skating and becomes a solid part of our core. 

To think we would keep guys like Dickinson over Brock makes no sense to me unless Brock is asking for the moon. 

I really like Brock as a person.  He's genuine, and just an all around nice guy.  Because of that, I'm hoping he's not greedy and comes in at a fair deal.  $6M to $6.5M AAV is fair, and it'd be awesome to keep him at that range for 4 or 5 years anyways. 

Our team has a lot of firepower when it's clicking... the fact we've averaged over 4 GPG in the last little while tells a lot.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I really like Brock as a person.  He's genuine, and just an all around nice guy.  Because of that, I'm hoping he's not greedy and comes in at a fair deal.  $6M to $6.5M AAV is fair, and it'd be awesome to keep him at that range for 4 or 5 years anyways. 

Our team has a lot of firepower when it's clicking... the fact we've averaged over 4 GPG in the last little while tells a lot.

Brock is still young. If Brock gets back to last year form (and I don't see why he couldn't), that contract would be great value. 

Something is off this year. His skating is more labored. If someome compared skating clips of last year vs this year, you would see that he is capable of another gear he hasnt shown this year. 

I see he wants to do well...maybe hes just overthinking everything. Even Petey looked slower this year when he lost his confidence. 

• Vintage 1