Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

4 minutes ago, BertaNuck said:

Sigh 

stillman

studnicka

miller over Bo 

Allvin is in over his head and JR is probably wishing he was still in retirement 

#fire management 

Stillman is terrible but I don't really have a issue with the rest of the players PA brought in. Aman Lazar kuz mik Joshua studnicka bear are all not the problem. That's some solid young cheap change. The issues lie with all the existing talent they inherited. Been digging their own Graves before year 1 with the horrible boeser and Miller contracts and now trying to get locked into get another one with Bo lol.

We need to purge nearly every single member of the team they inherited to actually create meaningful change.  Obvs keep some young guys 

Well on the bright side hopefully we can get a solid return for Bo. If we trade him with 50% retention it also opens up negotiations with more teams. A young C, RD, and pick would be awesome. Especially if the C can slot into a 3C role in the next two years.

Edited by Maginator
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's it for Bo.  Tweet outright says the Miller contract handcuffed the team

They made their bed by not trading Miller at the deadline, draft, or during the summer. They had multiple opportunities to not screw the pooch but they hitched their wagon to him and made their bed. 

Should have signed Horvat first at the very least.

22 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Should have done that with Miller- maybe they are learning.

Maybe, too little too late though it seems.

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Whatever the "best offer" for Horvat is.

It means this team is done for the year.  It also suggests that they knew which is why we saw Miller at centre yesterday during practice.  

It doesn't matter what they suggest or do.  They do not have a centre to take Horvats draws, d-zone starts or replicate his scoring.  

The moment he is gone, we go from losing a few to losing the majority.

That would mean the most common sense thing to do afterwards is also cash in on Schenn and Kuzmenko.

I would also go even further to suggest that trading Boeser for a moderate return by taking back a similar shorter term contract on a non productive player is also a smart move.  If Myers can also be moved for a moderate return by taking back a shorter term comparable contract of the same type of non productive player they do it.

The writing is on the wall for this team once Horvat is gone and management can accept that they can weaponize the cap space they can garner by smart trades and short term pain to retool around Hughes/Pettersson/Demko and Podkolzin over the next 2-3 seasons or they can continue doing the same thing the organization has done for a decade and hope for different results.

This is where it gets interesting.

Yup, and while Horvat isn't a Selke guy by any means he's certainly better defensively than Miller. Miller at center long term likely results in more goals against, I've argued that Horvat made Miller's job a lot easier last season because he took on more of the defensive and faceoff loads, Miller just had to focus on offense. Now he won't be able to do that. 

Yup, losing Horvat immediately makes us less competitive. We don't have anyone who can replace what he brings while filling all the roles he does in the system.

Maybe it's the move this team needs to actually embrace more of a rebuild. 

Trading Boeser for a similar contract with less term would be a win. Myers we can wait on tbh, one year left after this one. Could be gone next season at 50%. 

Should have started rebuilding around those guys last season by trading Miller. 

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He should have been the priority last summer, and traded Miller. Canucks going to feel this mistake for the next 5 years. 

Yupppp, chose the wrong wagon.

4 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Oh boy.

F*** me. Trade Miller if you can and retain Bo. Who cares about the optics. Give Bo 8.5 if you can get rid of Miller.

Hopefully EP can really grow into a top center in the league (both ends of the rink), otherwise this team is screwed.

Def, I'd keep him over Miller. They'd have to take a contract back with medium/long term to make it work though. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Maginator said:

Well on the bright side hopefully we can get a solid return for Bo. If we trade him with 50% retention it also opens up negotiations with more teams. A young C, RD, and pick would be awesome. Especially if the C can slot into a 3C role in the next two year.

They should absolutely be willing to retain on Bo, get as much as we can. They can't afford to miss on this trade. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Stillman is terrible but I don't really have a issue with the rest of the players PA brought in. Aman Lazar kuz mik Joshua studnicka bear are all not the problem. That's some solid young cheap change. The issues lie with all the existing talent they inherited. Been digging their own Graves before year 1 with the horrible boeser and Miller contracts and now trying to get locked into get another one with Bo lol.

We need to purge nearly every single member of the team they inherited to actually create meaningful change.  Obvs keep some young guys 

Kuz and mikheyev fell into there laps, mikheyev suprised them by wanting to come here on free agency 

lazar also wanted to come here, didn’t have to work too hard on that one 

even there 1rst round draft pick looks like a swing and a miss 

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

Haha loser franchise 

Why spend 5+ years rebuilding when you can spend 10 years of waiting till dead cap expires so we can spend the money on more dead cap for another 10 years of fun ::D

Remember rebuilds take a looooong time and we couldn't handle things taking that long :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, BertaNuck said:

Bo has the right to be pissed if they gave Miller the moon and left nothing for there CAPTAIN

Bo is a player this team needs

we will be looking for a player just like him for years 

Management miscalculated Bo's character in the sense that they believed he, our captain, would accept a fair contract ala Landeskog. He obviously wants to cash in and ostensibly move on instead.

I, personally, don't think he's worth more than what they're likely offering him, but he's showing up in his contract year (now that he wants to show up), so I'm ready for him to move on. 

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Why spend 5+ years rebuilding when you can spend 10 years of waiting till dead cap expires so we can spend the money on more dead cap for another 10 years of fun ::D

Remember rebuilds take a looooong time and we couldn't handle things taking that long :lol:

Oh man. Trading Bo is a huge step back. If he’s traded I want a full rebuild. Miller isn’t taking this team anywhere 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BertaNuck said:

Kuz and mikheyev fell into there laps, mikheyev suprised them by wanting to come here on free agency 

lazar also wanted to come here, didn’t have to work too hard on that one 

even there 1rst round draft pick looks like a swing and a miss 

Bit of a suspect take. You can't just pick and choose what you want to give them credit for because it doesn't help when trying to crap all over what they have done. Lekki was said to take 3 or so years of development. We got nearly a PPG Russian dman in the 7th round and new EP looks like a solid dman from the 3rd round.

I'm not praising them but I'll give them props in some areas. Sucks it's been countered with horrible decisions obviously but that's life for us canucks fans at this point :lol:

• Cheers 1

Obviously trading Miller and signing Bo in the offseason would have been the way to go, but given the current situation, I think this could be the best step forward.  Rather than signing Bo to a contract in a career year, we move him at his highest value and get several key pieces to the future.  Bo should return something much larger than what Miller would have because he is a true two way C and captain for a reason. 

If we do this, it should trigger a strong re-tool with trying to also get rid of Miller, Garland, Boeser, Pearson, Myers and probably Schenn if teams are willing to overpay.  Get the assets from Bo, Schenn, Boeser, Garland and maybe Miller and build the team our properly.  Sign Livingstone and build the team out with a younger core.  It's the only way we could actually improve. 

• Cheers 1

Boeser for Monahan + a pick, use the cap space in the offseason. 

No idea what you get for Horvat... 1st/top prospect/roster player? Maybe the Rangers are willing to part with Schneider for him? Avs for Girard? Idk I'm not good at this sh*t. 

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Oh man. Trading Bo is a huge step back. If he’s traded I want a full rebuild. Miller isn’t taking this team anywhere 

I want the massive step back to stay in the lottery personally. It's soo pathetic we signed Miller first. Makes zero sense to anyone other than the super diehards who loved him as a player which I understand... But it just caused nothing but lose lose scenarios now :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Blow the team up at this point. 

The day Horvat gets traded over Miller will be a very dark day in this franchises history. Turning our backs on our captain for a floater.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Devron said:

I’d be looking at trading Hughes and Petey too. They’ll be UFA’s before we compete

Hughes will want to go to jersey with his brothers 

petey will want to compete, and if we treat our captain like this , i think he would be next in line, why would he stay 

we could be headed towards a few dark years 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1