The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

7 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

He's still worth a shot though no?  His numbers might not jump off the page but they're fairly comparable to Dadonov and Panarin.  Might as well see what he's got if you ask me.  I'm sure Edmonton would feel the same way.

yes, I'm just saying its no big loss if he gets bribed by the Oilers and promised first line time with McDavid. He's a free, cheap asset, who clearly has some skill and also has played on a line with Podz and had chemistry so for sure worth a flyer. If we don't sign him, its not a big deal though in my view. He's not Panarin is my point, is probably the best way to say it.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Cheers 3

On 5/30/2022 at 9:05 AM, Alflives said:

Fans might, as the high picks are exciting.  But JR is saying no steps back and trading Bo for a pick (even a high one) is clearly a step back.  If Bo is traded (or Miller) JR will bring back 23-27 aged guys, who will step into the lineup.  

Yeah. A top five pick would be nice. But it would definitely cause the team to step back. Who’s going to fill Bo’s shoes in the top six if he’s traded for a player who probably 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 9:15 AM, Baratheon said:

He's still worth a shot though no?  His numbers might not jump off the page but they're fairly comparable to Dadonov and Panarin.  Might as well see what he's got if you ask me.  I'm sure Edmonton would feel the same way.

He’s definitely worth a shot. Free asset that costs just money? Yes please. 

If he doesn’t work out, cut bait. 

16 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. A top five pick would be nice. But it would definitely cause the team to step back. Who’s going to fill Bo’s shoes in the top six if he’s traded for a player who probably 

Who’s going to fill or replace JT ? 

to me I’d rather move Bo to probabilities in the now or future.

Than JT to the same thing.

The difference between signing either of them is a difference of 2-3 million .  
But the loss of Miller is greater, his inclinential growth to how he has established himself here in 4 years has been amazing.

Bo we drafted,  I get there’s lots of attachment to that ..  but this is about being the best team we can be ,  one, with its players constantly getting better not , playing on a plateau.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Trading Bo doesn’t make us a better team and leaves arguably as big if not a bigger hole to fill in our roster. He is so criminally underrated/appreciated here. 

Couldn't agree more. He's one of my all time favorite Canucks. He has built a life here, bleeds blue and green. He is bullt for the playoffs and is one of the best, if not best faceoff centers in the NHL

I want him retiring as a Canuck. 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Who’s going to fill or replace JT ? 

to me I’d rather move Bo to probabilities in the now or future.

Than JT to the same thing.

The difference between signing either of them is a difference of 2-3 million .  
But the loss of Miller is greater, his inclinential growth to how he has established himself here in 4 years has been amazing.

Bo we drafted,  I get there’s lots of attachment to that ..  but this is about being the best team we can be ,  one, with its players constantly getting better not , playing on a plateau.

He's only been here for three seasons. 

He won't replace Miller per say, but I'm on board with the idea of giving Pettersson the 1C slot and letting him run with it. Faceoffs can be worked on, he's a very intelligent player at both ends of the ice and he'll likely continue to get better. There's a lot to like with Petey at 1C imo, he's likely to be a difference maker for this club a lot longer than either Miller or Horvat. That, and Rutherford's spoken pretty highly of him so I could definitely see it. 

Being able to have Pettersson and Horvat down the middle is a nice thing, it's part of why I got on board with moving on from Miller ages ago. Pettersson and Hughes aren't just the present, they're the future. At least that's how I see it. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Trading Bo doesn’t make us a better team and leaves arguably as big if not a bigger hole to fill in our roster. He is so criminally underrated/appreciated here. 

I get that he is a steadfast player, by that I mean fairly consistent.

but he could potentially bring back 2 pieces that arise to the same level inside 3 years.

We’ll only receive the same back for Miller,.  But giving up the leadership, mentorship, drive, with the higher point output for the next 3 years that Miller can.

Its all interesting regardless,  better minds are at play in all of the ones in this board, many flip flopping around on deals designed from their own imagination.

Neither player will bring anything back to the club but potential, and far from something equaling the same value.

Id rather keep both players ,   Personally, I think management would as well,.  And all options are up on the board.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

He's only been here for three seasons. 

He won't replace Miller per say, but I'm on board with the idea of giving Pettersson the 1C slot and letting him run with it. Faceoffs can be worked on, he's a very intelligent player at both ends of the ice and he'll likely continue to get better. There's a lot to like with Petey at 1C imo, he's likely to be a difference maker for this club a lot longer than either Miller or Horvat. That, and Rutherford's spoken pretty highly of him so I could definitely see it. 

Being able to have Pettersson and Horvat down the middle is a nice thing, it's part of why I got on board with moving on from Miller ages ago. Pettersson and Hughes aren't just the present, they're the future. At least that's how I see it. 

That’s a distant future,   When we actually hold cards of something much closer than that.

Just now, SilentSam said:

I get that he is a steadfast player, by that I mean fairly consistent.

but he could potentially bring back 2 pieces that arise to the same level inside 3 years.

We’ll only receive the same back for Miller,.  But giving up the leadership, mentorship, drive, with the higher point output for the next 3 years that Miller can.

Its all interesting regardless,  better minds are at play in all of the ones in this board, many flip flopping around on deals designed from their own imagination.

Neither player will bring anything back to the club but potential, and far from something equaling the same value.

Id rather keep both players ,   Personally, I think management would as well,.  And all options are up on the board.

650 today had a good discussion about Bo and Miller.  They were saying Bo will get extended.  Then they started talking about JR offering Miller a contract Miller very likely would refuse.  Then saying they tried to sign him at the press conference talking about him being traded.  So an offer Bo will accept.  And an offer Miller will not accept.  Then it’s bye bye Miller.  We tried, but we really didn’t try to sign him.  Apparently JR did this with Motte.  He offered Motte a contract there was no way Motte was going to accept.  

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

650 today had a good discussion about Bo and Miller.  They were saying Bo will get extended.  Then they started talking about JR offering Miller a contract Miller very likely would refuse.  Then saying they tried to sign him at the press conference talking about him being traded.  So an offer Bo will accept.  And an offer Miller will not accept.  Then it’s bye bye Miller.  We tried, but we really didn’t try to sign him.  Apparently JR did this with Motte.  He offered Motte a contract there was no way Motte was going to accept.  

Well,  it’s too bad if that happens,  
Pretty sure we’re back to .500 hockey if Miller gets traded.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

That’s a distant future,   When we actually hold cards of something much closer than that.

Could be distant, could be as soon as next season. We can beat Horvat or Miller staying or going to death, but Pettersson likely outlasts them both in terms of impact on this club because of pedigree and age.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I am / was on the same train as you re Bo/Miller. But, as I think about it more I feel like JR has a Lamaello aspect to his approach, re cap. He wants an internal cap to ensure he can address other needs.

He seems to come from the school of we need players who are willing to take discounts so we can fill out the roster with more depth, and if you're going to pay a player alot, he has to be young a star and willing to commit long term.

The issue with Miller is, he won't take a discount (rightly so, he's earned the right not to), he's not young anymore, and arguably, if you can use that 9 mil to pay a younger RD, 3C, winger with other cap moves, we are likely further ahead.

I played competitive sports growing up, so I cannot discount the heart aspect of Miller vs Bo. Love Bo, but Miller is the emotional engine, and it is a HUGE risk to be removing that from a team that clearly did not react well to losing Tanev and Markstrom. That being said, perhaps its time for Bo and Petey to stop leading from behind....

I'm with you but also get the 'organizational perspective'

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

But JR said no steps back.  

When JR trades Miller, and it sure sounds like he plans to, the return will be younger guys (23-27) who step in and play.  

Canucks receiving lots of interest from Horvat.

Indeed they do. Lots of merch sold with his name on jerseys. Massive amounts. In fact, Horvat was made captain of the Vancouver Canucks. I don’t know if anybody knew that. It happens a few years ago.

Imagine that. 

Lots of interest.

Trader Jim looked super conservative compared to the lot of yawl.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

I am / was on the same train as you re Bo/Miller. But, as I think about it more I feel like JR has a Lamaello aspect to his approach, re cap. He wants an internal cap to ensure he can address other needs.

He seems to come from the school of we need players who are willing to take discounts so we can fill out the roster with more depth, and if you're going to pay a player alot, he has to be young a star and willing to commit long term.

The issue with Miller is, he won't take a discount (rightly so, he's earned the right not to), he's not young anymore, and arguably, if you can use that 9 mil to pay a younger RD, 3C, winger with other cap moves, we are likely further ahead.

I played competitive sports growing up, so I cannot discount the heart aspect of Miller vs Bo. Love Bo, but Miller is the emotional engine, and it is a HUGE risk to be removing that from a team that clearly did not react well to losing Tanev and Markstrom. That being said, perhaps its time for Bo and Petey to stop leading from behind....

I'm with you but also get the 'organizational perspective'

The other interesting aspect is that if traded in the Summer or without being signed,  he is still traded as a “rental”. That aspect lowers the expectation of a return in a trade unless he is signed or comes to an agreement with the club he “potentially “ goes to.

So , unsigned and traded in his last season won’t bring much being a pending UFA.

another aspect is ,.   How many teams are poised to sign a 9m per player?

The cap isn’t moving much.

As much as I value Miller,  I think his incremental successes here, is of a lesser value than someone who has consistently played (3 years or more previously) at the level he did last season.

I think the number for Miller should come in around the 8 - 8.2 m point  6-7 yrs, movable after 3 seasons, I think that is fair value in this day and age.

Hertyl just signed at 8.2 x8 which I think is too much for Hertyl,.   but again,  possibly fair for Miller.

perhaps the attention to movable players should be made players like Pearson and  Boeser.

The uncertainties with Boeser might have him wanting to be closer to home?  That should be part of the discussions with his agent just to be fair to Brock.

like I say,  it’s all interesting,  and better minds with all of the information are handling it.

The wish lists I see on these threads though are neck wrenching.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Canucks receiving lots of interest from Horvat.

Indeed they do. Lots of merch sold with his name on jerseys. Massive amounts. In fact, Horvat was made captain of the Vancouver Canucks. 

Imagine that. 

Lots of interest.

Trade Jim looked super conservative compared to the lot of yawl

It Is Bromance GIF

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

It’s as if they don’t remember how BEAST he was in the bubble playoffs.

• Cheers 1