The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Horvat isn’t going to re-sign with another bubble wildcard team. He wants to play on a contender.

Detroit isn’t in a better state than what we’re currently in. Most of their top picks have struggled to make any impact in the NHL thus far (aside from Raymond and Seider). And then, you’re asking for a top prospect and two young players in a return for Horvat. That pretty much cripples their prospects pool.

Every player says they want to win until they’re handed a big bag of money. He could convince himself they’ll be a contender soon if they pay him 9 mil a season. Remember how Ehrhoff said Buffalo gave him the best chance to “win”?

Trading Rasmussen, Zadina, and Wallinder would not cripple their prospect pool.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Every player says they want to win until they’re handed a big bag of money. He could convince himself they’ll be a contender soon if they pay him 9 mil a season. Remember how Ehrhoff said Buffalo gave him the best chance to “win”?

Trading Rasmussen, Zadina, and Wallinder would not cripple their prospect pool.

If Detroit isn’t willing to pay Larkin over 8m. What makes you think they’re willing to pay Horvat 9m?

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

If Detroit isn’t willing to pay Larkin over 8m. What makes you think they’re willing to pay Horvat 9m?

I don’t know what they’re willing to pay Larkin or not, it’s all speculation. 

Horvat has considerably more goals than Larkin and probably plays a style that Yzerman likes more.

Who knows? Maybe Larkin just wants to move on and Detroit knows it. Maybe signing Bo is their way to convince him to stay?

Theres lots of reasons they could be interested in Bo. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

They want two roster players and a top prospect.

Johnston, Dellandrea, and Harley would fit the bill. Decent but not exactly a home run IMO.

For New Jersey it would have to be Mercer/Sharangovich, Holtz, Mukhamadullin

Two roster players and a top prospect you say?

Counter your Dallas proposal with Johnston, Bischel & Dellandrea.

nothing against you or* Harley, RHD with size is much needed.

NJD top prospect is L.hughes, Nemec or Mukhamadullin? preference to RHD in Nemec + 2 roster players

Nemec, Bahl and I guess Holtz though I'd prefer a C

Edited by GhostsOf1994
or*

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Two roster players and a top prospect you say?

Counter your Dallas proposal with Johnston, Bischel & Dellandrea.

nothing against you or* Harley, RHD with size is much needed.

NJD top prospect is L.hughes, Nemec or Mukhamadullin? preference to RHD in Nemec + 2 roster players

Nemec, Bahl and I guess Holtz though I'd prefer a C

Nemec will be a no go.

If they’re trading him it would be for Meier who’s younger and is an RFA after the season.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lysell is the top prospect.  Frederic is a guy that Tocchet would love and is a roster player.  So instead of the prospect Mast it will be another roster player.  I don't think it will be Carlo though, Boston needs him for their playoff run.  

Connor Clifton can fill Carlo's role, I don't think they need him for a playoff run. I agree that Tocchet would love Frederic, gives us a Jannik Hansen type. Personally I'd prefer Brett Harrison to Lysell as the prospect coming back.

Carlo + Frederic + Harrison 

Edit: maybe throw in Schenn for a 2nd

Edited by Diamonds

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t know what they’re willing to pay Larkin or not, it’s all speculation. 

Horvat has considerably more goals than Larkin and probably plays a style that Yzerman likes more.

Who knows? Maybe Larkin just wants to move on and Detroit knows it. Maybe signing Bo is their way to convince him to stay?

Theres lots of reasons they could be interested in Bo. 

The Red Wings have three games in four nights this week before an eight-day hiatus – their bye week which leads into the All-Star break. Larkin will make his third appearance at All-Star weekend (Feb. 3-4) as the team’s lone representative.

When the Red Wings return to action on Feb. 7, the trade deadline will be 24 days away.

That is often viewed as the deadline for getting key players re-signed. Teams not in the playoff hunt typically don’t want to risk losing them for nothing in free agency, so they get whatever assets they can.

Yzerman under ordinary circumstances wouldn’t hesitate to move or cut ties with a prominent player if contract talks were at an impasse or if there were some other issue. He showed it in Tampa Bay with the likes of Martin St. Louis, Vincent Lecavalier and Jonathan Drouin.

Larkin is different. He’s a metro-Detroit native whose love for being a Red Wing has been clear since the day they drafted him 15th overall in 2014. He has played eight seasons for the team and seems destined to be a lifetime Red Wing. Never mind that trading him also would set back a rebuild that’s seven years deep, since they would be more apt to get futures (young player, prospect, picks) than a player of equal ability who could make an immediate impact.

Yzerman and Larkin’s agent, Pat Brisson, have maintained good communication, talking regularly.

The sides have agreed on the maximum eight-year term. They remain apart on the average annual value. The Red Wings would like him at $8 million per season. Larkin’s camp is eying closer to $9 million.

It looks like if they trade Larkin, Yzerman would want prospects, picks, or a younger player back. As they are still in a rebuilding phase. Having Horvat at 9m, as a replacement just doesn’t make sense for their rebuild.

Edited by shiznak

2 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Connor Clifton can fill Carlo's role, I don't think they need him for a playoff run. I agree that Tocchet would love Frederic, gives us a Jannik Hansen type. Personally I'd prefer Brett Harrison to Lysell as the prospect coming back.

Edit: maybe throw in Schenn for their 1st which will very likely be 28-32nd overall 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nemec will be a no go.

If they’re trading him it would be for Meier who’s younger and is an RFA after the season.

If part of the deal is resigning him what’s the difference between Meier and Horvat.  Both trades are “win now” type moves.  Good centers can always play wing and teams wanting playoff runs need a horvat type winning draws.

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

It looks like if they trade Larkin, Yzerman would want prospects, picks, or a younger players. As they are still in a rebuilding phase. Having Horvat at 9m, as a replacement just doesn’t make sense for their rebuild.

Except you need veteran players as part of a rebuild.

Im sure they believe they can be a playoff team in the next couple seasons. Having a leader like Bo be part of that does make sense.

All those prospects and cap space built up will allow them to acquire players from other teams and fill in the holes quite quickly.

Edited by DeNiro

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nemec will be a no go.

I agree, no way are we getting a player picked in the top 5 of a recent draft from anyone. Doesn't mean that good prospects can't be expected but not this good.

Same goes for those expecting Wright be included in a deal for Bo. No way does Seattle trade their future number one centre for the next 12 years for a rental. 

4 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Edit: maybe throw in Schenn for a 2nd

Lysell was the best skater in his draft class. Speed kills these days. Just ask Seattle. Plus he is a good 200’ player. I am sure that Tocchet can get him into a top 6 role playing with Miller. And if we get lucky Bedard as well. 

3 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

If part of the deal is resigning him what’s the difference between Meier and Horvat.  Both trades are “win now” type moves.  Good centers can always play wing and teams wanting playoff runs need a horvat type winning draws.

Meier is a better fit in New Jersey and has good chemistry with their Swiss players.

Also being a year younger and a winger makes a difference. The Devils don’t really need a center with Hischier and Hughes down the middle. They need wingers.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Except you need veteran players as part of a rebuild.

Im sure they believe they can be a playoff team in the next couple seasons. Having a leader like Bo be part of that does make sense.

All those prospects and cap space built up will allow them to acquire players from other teams and fill in the holes quite quickly.

Again, Horvat isn’t staying on a team that’s going through a rebuild. He can be shipped to Detroit at the deadline, but he controls his own destiny once July 1st comes around and I doubt he’s staying with Detroit after that. Of course, everything can change if they manage to re-sign Larkin.

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Again, Horvat isn’t staying on a team that’s going through a rebuild. He can be shipped to Detroit at the deadline, but he controls his own destiny once July 1st comes around and I doubt he’s staying with Detroit after that. Of course, everything can change if they manage to re-sign Larkin.

How do we know what Bo wants to do or how he feels about Detroits potential? Every player says they wanna win. A fat contract can convince any player that a team will be a winner soon. Means nothing.

This is Bo’s best chance to cash in big. Not many contenders have the cap space to sign him. If he can get a huge offer from Detroit I’m sure he’ll take it.

Any deal with Detroit would be with a contract agreement. They’re not looking for a rental.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How do we know what Bo wants to do or how he feels about Detroits potential? Every player says they wanna win. A fat contract can convince any player that a team will be a winner soon. Means nothing.

This is Bo’s best chance to cash in big. Not many contenders have the cap space to sign him. If he can get a huge offer from Detroit I’m sure he’ll take it.

Any deal with Detroit would be with a contract agreement. They’re not looking for a rental.

Considering Bo said he’s tired of losing and playing meaningless games in March. I’m pretty sure he values winning than getting a big contract. If a team like Carolina pays him reasonably well (7m). I think he takes that deal over what Detroit is willing to pay. 

I’ve always said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Horvat took less than market value to play on a contender. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Still dont like the fact that when Joshua got cross checked from behind by Domi Bo did absolutely nothing.  I know they are buddies and all but he didnt invest much into his teammate at that moment.

He’s as good as gone

Nor the game before when Garland took the right cross right beside Bo..

I don’t get where his head is at,  or is this seriously how the Sedins handed off an emotionless Captaincy?

• There it is 1