The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Do people actually believe Pettersson will be a long term centermen moving forward? He’ll probably move over to the wing at some point in his career. Especially, if the team wants to maximize his potential. 

Yes, Petey plays like a centre not a winger.  He is probably the best defensive centre we have.  Great 200' game, great vision of the ice.  Didn't Gretzky compare Petey to himself?

Gretzky wasn't great on faceoffs either, but everything else about him made him a centre.  Petey will be a 1C with us.  Miller is the guy who will move over to the wing at some point permanently as he gets older.  Nothing wrong with playing the two of them together and loading up.  McDavid and Draisaitl play together all the time...

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, Petey plays like a centre not a winger.  He is probably the best defensive centre we have.  Great 200' game, great vision of the ice.  Didn't Gretzky compare Petey to himself?

Gretzky wasn't great on faceoffs either, but everything else about him made him a centre.  Petey will be a 1C with us.  Miller is the guy who will move over to the wing at some point permanently as he gets older.  Nothing wrong with playing the two of them together and loading up.  McDavid and Draisaitl play together all the time...

Lol, best defensive center we have.

That why, he’s rarely out there against opponents top 6s, deployed in defensive situations 5v5, or takes any faceoffs in the defensive zone. His career faceoffs percentage is well below the leagues average at 42%.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Key faceoffs late in the game = 2 centers in case #1 gets bounced.

If 3 great centers is a problem, it's a damn good one to have.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Lol, best defensive center we have.

That why, he’s rarely out there against opponents top 6s, deployed in defensive situations 5v5, or takes any faceoffs in the defensive zone. His career faceoffs percentage is well below the leagues average at 42%.

There’s a lot more to defensive play than faceoff percentage.  Being in the right position at all times and being able to read the play make a big difference.  Most fans see when there has been a big recovery after a mistake has been made but the two way excellence is snuffing plays out before the chance materializes.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

how is EP being paid as a "top center" salary dictates your position? there are as much "top wingers" making as much if not more than the "top center" in the league. When will EP e capable of being the center that can take 1000+ faceoff a year?? possibily not till he's 26-27.. which is what? 3-4 years away? Miller wasn't even a 1000 faceoff guy till last season. By the time EP is ready to be the go to guy at center.. Miller will prolly be at the end if not past his prime and bo close behind.. 

Oh so Petey is no longer considered a "Center" anymore? Really? First I heard of that. I believe he is playing wing until he makes the transition to the top center position. I see the natural transition from Miller to Petey as to eventually taking over #1C. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Oh so Petey is no longer considered a "Center" anymore? Really? First I heard of that. I believe he is playing wing until he makes the transition to the top center position. I see the natural transition from Miller to Petey as to eventually taking over #1C. 

Lol so first you claimed he’s paid like a top center. Then you say he’s playing wing until he makes the transition to the top center. So how is he going to make the transition to center if he’s playing wing and not taking faceoff? Even lammiko took significantly more faceoff than EP while playing less games and way less minutes. Chances of EP ever being good in the faceoff? Probably low. Horvat and miller started their career at 50% and slowly climbed up.. chances of EP getting over 50% I doubt it. He’s like a low 40% ish faceoff guy maybe he improves 5% throughout like most center in this league.. he ain’t reaching 50. There are plenty of things he can work on in the off season to get even better. Faceoff is probably no where near the top of the list. What’s wrong with having EP as a winger that can occasionally step in as a center long term? Seems more like you want EP to play center even if he will struggle in faceoff probably his entire career just so u can justify getting rid of bo. 

so if ep is playing on the wing until he’s ready to take over as you claim. Then there’s an even bigger reason to keep bo? As he would be your 2c and behind it is question marks again

18 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol so first you claimed he’s paid like a top center. Then you say he’s playing wing until he makes the transition to the top center. So how is he going to make the transition to center if he’s playing wing and not taking faceoff? Even lammiko took significantly more faceoff than EP while playing less games and way less minutes. Chances of EP ever being good in the faceoff? Probably low. Horvat and miller started their career at 50% and slowly climbed up.. chances of EP getting over 50% I doubt it. He’s like a low 40% ish faceoff guy maybe he improves 5% throughout like most center in this league.. he ain’t reaching 50. There are plenty of things he can work on in the off season to get even better. Faceoff is probably no where near the top of the list. What’s wrong with having EP as a winger that can occasionally step in as a center long term? Seems more like you want EP to play center even if he will struggle in faceoff probably his entire career just so u can justify getting rid of bo. 

so if ep is playing on the wing until he’s ready to take over as you claim. Then there’s an even bigger reason to keep bo? As he would be your 2c and behind it is question marks again

So why are you asking me how he is going to be deployed? I am not the coach. ::D Is there a magic number(face off percentage) he is to reach in order to be a center? 

It is a question that has to be considered though is what are the plans for Petey. If he is just going to be a winger, like you say, and utilized as a Center on a occasion then yes that makes Bo all the more important to remain on the team, but what if that is not the plan? 

At some point , we are going to have to decide what to do with 3 very capable centers. I think if Bo comes in at a reasonable contract, then this is all mute and we are very lucky to have these 3 as our centers. 

But because there are a lot of unanswered questions, this idea should at least be considered. 

Just like a lot on here were adamant that Miler was getting traded, I don't think we can say for certain that Bo is 100% going to be resigned.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, flat land fish said:

There’s a lot more to defensive play than faceoff percentage.  Being in the right position at all times and being able to read the play make a big difference.  Most fans see when there has been a big recovery after a mistake has been made but the two way excellence is snuffing plays out before the chance materializes.  

Amongst forward, he’s 2nd on the team in xGA/60 and HDSCA/60, while only having 121 defensive start the entire season. He’s not bad as a defensive player, but he’s not “the best” defensive player we have, as the previous poster mentioned.

Edited by shiznak

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Amongst forward, he’s 2nd on the team in xGA/60 and HDSCA/60, while only having 121 defensive start the entire season. He’s not bad as a defensive player, but he’s not “the best” defensive player we have, as the previous poster mentioned.

Having fewer defensive starts honestly doesn’t mean anything.. he has fewer defensive start than others because he’s pretty terrible at faceoff.. I don’t think you want to put him out in the defensive zone for a draw as your center unless you are forced to on an icing. You can win a draw and instantly be out of your zone.. you can lose an offensive draw and instantly be back in your defensive zone.. so defensive zone start honestly means nothing other than faceoff..  Yes I would place Pettersson as the best defensive player we have as he’s well above average in terms of positioning backchecking breaking up plays and stealing the puck. Which of our top 6 forwards is better at that? At least on the eye test pettersson stands out from the others with his back checks and breaking up plays with his stick

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

He's not in the low 40's, he's already hit 45%.  If he improves another 5-6% then that is all he needs to be a 1C.  He's on the same trajectory as Connor McDavid who also started off at 41% and just hit over 50% for the first time last year after his 7th year in the league...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Bo & Myers for...

Pulock & Pageau???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, this one is interesting.  Even the cap works both ways.  We get a top 4 RHD and a pure 3C and the Islanders get a RHD to replace Pulock plus a 2C to play behind Barzal.

The more I think about this one the more I like it...

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's not in the low 40's, he's already hit 45%.  If he improves another 5-6% then that is all he needs to be a 1C.  He's on the same trajectory as Connor McDavid who also started off at 41% and just hit over 50% for the first time last year after his 7th year in the league...

Difference is mcdavid takes 800+ faceoff every season so he gets plenty of practice and they will toss him out whenever they can just because he’s mcdavid 

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hmmm, this one is interesting.  Even the cap works both ways.  We get a top 4 RHD and a pure 3C and the Islanders get a RHD to replace Pulock plus a 2C to play behind Barzal.

The more I think about this one the more I like it...

You mean the more you drink about it?

Thats the only way anyone could like that trade. It’s horrible.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

You mean the more you drink about it?

Thats the only way anyone could like that trade. It’s horrible.

Pulock is a legit top 4 RHD and is a MAJOR upgrade on Myers.  Pageau is a legit 3C, one of the best in the entire NHL and shoots right.  You are over valuing BO which this fanbase like to do.

I'm pretty sure the Islanders fans would say the same thing you are saying.  At the end of the day if you break down this trade objectively it is fair for both sides and the cap works both ways.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pulock is a legit top 4 RHD and is a MAJOR upgrade on Myers.  Pageau is a legit 3C, one of the best in the entire NHL and shoots right.  You are over valuing BO which this fanbase like to do.

I'm pretty sure the Islanders fans would say the same thing you are saying.  At the end of the day if you break down this trade objectively it is fair for both sides and the cap works both ways.

We have zero need for Pageau. Seems like you’re overvaluing our need for a 3rd line center.

Pulock is an upgrade over Myers yes but not enough to give up our 30 goal scoring captain.

We’re not this desperate. People need to stop making horrible proposals for any D man because they’re a right shot. There’s a serious obsession with right shot D on here right now. :lol:

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Difference is mcdavid takes 800+ faceoff every season so he gets plenty of practice and they will toss him out whenever they can just because he’s mcdavid 

Petey took over 550 faceoffs last year and hit over 44% so he is on the right trajectory.  I agree about McDavid being thrown out there and taking more faceoffs than he should, but he has improved his numbers year over year so he is obviously getting better with more practice.

Petey needs to play mostly centre this year if Boudreau plans to roll 3 lines.  If that is the case he could hit 700+ faceoffs and hopefully improve his % to 46-47%...

17 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Having fewer defensive starts honestly doesn’t mean anything.. he has fewer defensive start than others because he’s pretty terrible at faceoff.. I don’t think you want to put him out in the defensive zone for a draw as your center unless you are forced to on an icing. You can win a draw and instantly be out of your zone.. you can lose an offensive draw and instantly be back in your defensive zone.. so defensive zone start honestly means nothing other than faceoff..  Yes I would place Pettersson as the best defensive player we have as he’s well above average in terms of positioning backchecking breaking up plays and stealing the puck. Which of our top 6 forwards is better at that? At least on the eye test pettersson stands out from the others with his back checks and breaking up plays with his stick

When you put into context that he’s 2nd in xGA/60 and HDSCA/60, while have less defensive starts than his teammates, and playing against inferior opponents. It means something. I remember Kyle Wellwood used to be good at backchecking and closing out the passing lines, but he was far from being the best defensive forward on the team.

Like I said, he’s probably better off suited as a winger moving forward and that’s more of a likelihood scenario when/if we re-sign Horvat.