The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Doesn't matter what management thinks since it's Boudreau's decision and he's made it clear that that's his game plan for this season. However, you're right, it could not last the entire season depending on how they perform as a 1 2 3 punch

I disagree, it absolutely matters what management thinks because I don't see Boudreau being here for more than another 2-3 seasons tops whereas Pettersson will likely be here for the long haul. 

I fully expect Bruce to retire sooner than later, he'll be 68 in January. 

Edited by Coconuts

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Nah it’s a stupid narrative and I find it hilarious when people not in the room talk like they know who is better as a Captain. JT is already a part of the leadership group of this team. Putting a C on his jersey doesn’t turn this to a cup team. If we’re not a cup team with him having an A on his sweater adding a C does literally nothing to change that. 

Of course as a hypothetical, same would go for Bo. If we're not a cup team with Bo NOT having a C on his jersey, (he would STILL be a part of the leadership group with or without an "A", as you referred to JT) keeping the C there would do literally nothing to change that. 

Only way Bo is not the captain is if he is out for the season with injury then it would be passed to the other A's till he returns.Or he gets traded,or he just has a breakdown and steps aside as captain which will not happen.Bo us the captain till he retires or gets traded.

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Go back and watch the season under Green. Miller was literally on the ice throwing hissy fits. Smashing sticks, slamming doors. So yeah, I am gonna call it how I see it. I love Miller as a player, not as a captain.

People kill Bo and prop up Miller, but never once has Bo done anything to be slighted as our leader, let alone done the on ice hissy fits that Miller did early last season. Bo has been a respected professional literally from the moment he wore a Canuck jersey. He stayed calm cool and collected when everything was going wrong. He's loved by the young core, they call him Cap. I am tired of people giving Miller's attitude a pass and killing Bo for no reason.

Calm cool collected /.  Invisible to supporting his team mates, but anxious to WAIT in the slot for a pass.

With the Canucks having very little flexibility with the cap now and moving forward, it does seem feasible that Horvat could be moved if the right offer were to be presented to Vancouver General Manager Patrik Allvin. Even Horvat himself raised some questions over his own future by saying on Monday that he’s a “Vancouver Canuck right now.” That is hardly a ringing endorsement.

So, with that being said, it is hard to think that the Canucks wouldn’t pull the trigger on trading their Captain and ridding themselves of a salary cap headache if they got an attractive package back in return. With a plethora of prospects and plenty of draft capital, the New York Rangers could make that trade and it would make a lot of sense.

22 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

With the Canucks having very little flexibility with the cap now and moving forward, it does seem feasible that Horvat could be moved if the right offer were to be presented to Vancouver General Manager Patrik Allvin. Even Horvat himself raised some questions over his own future by saying on Monday that he’s a “Vancouver Canuck right now.” That is hardly a ringing endorsement.

So, with that being said, it is hard to think that the Canucks wouldn’t pull the trigger on trading their Captain and ridding themselves of a salary cap headache if they got an attractive package back in return. With a plethora of prospects and plenty of draft capital, the New York Rangers could make that trade and it would make a lot of sense.

Interesting to ponder but the Rags are just as capped out as we are and have no large contracts coming off the books any time soon. It's the same issue folks brought up when folks would propose Miller to the Rags. Any Horvat deal would have to bring cap back to make a deal work, and a sizeable amount unless we retain. 

Retaining is an option though, the Canucks could retain 50% and that'd help the Rags for this season but I question whether the Rags would be interested in renting Horvat. As it stands it doesn't appear they'd have space to extend him long term. Their having gone out and filled the Strome hole with Trocheck might be the magic bullet that kills any potential Horvat deal. If the Canucks had looked at it prior to their signing Trocheck? Who knows. 

At the very least they'd probably need to dump Goodrow and I don't see too many teams wanting that contract, not without the Rags giving something up to move it. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

Rangers will also need to give out raises to RFA's in Schneider, Miller, Laffy, and Kakko again sooner than later. I think a team could probably pry Kakko away from them but the Rags seem high on Laffy and Schnedier. They'd be dumb to let Miller walk imo, they're set on their right side and he fits well on their left side. Brings size, grit, and upside. They'll also either need to re-up or replace much of their bottom six pretty quick. 

Something's gonna have to give for them capwise, I just don't see them being able to sign another high cost forward to term. They'll have about 3.5M in dead space freed up after this coming season but that'll likely go back into their RFA's. 

Edited by Coconuts

20 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I love people that think Bo isn't captain material but Miller visibly crying and moping on the ice is captain material. Bo is somehow more disrespected than Hank.

Comparing Bo to Hank is laughable. While Hank wasn't a strong outwardly emotional leader, his game did the talking consistently.  Balanced with Burrows and Kes, the energy was there.

Like I said, I love Bo and love him on this team, but I want a passionate leader with the C or at least the captain to take the team on his back when needed.  Bo is more of a keep the peace kind of a guy but the reality is that for this team to be successful, the team has to be ready to go to war.

For both points, emotion, and readiness for war, Miller does fit the bill more than Bo.  Tough to knock Miller like you did considering that Miller had much more to do with the playoff push than Horvat.....by a long shot.  So I'm curious why you think Bo is better as a captain than Miller......not if Bo could be a good captain, but why he'd be better than Miller.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Comparing Bo to Hank is laughable. While Hank wasn't a strong outwardly emotional leader, his game did the talking consistently.  Balanced with Burrows and Kes, the energy was there.

Like I said, I love Bo and love him on this team, but I want a passionate leader with the C or at least the captain to take the team on his back when needed.  Bo is more of a keep the peace kind of a guy but the reality is that for this team to be successful, the team has to be ready to go to war.

For both points, emotion, and readiness for war, Miller does fit the bill more than Bo.  Tough to knock Miller like you did considering that Miller had much more to do with the playoff push than Horvat.....by a long shot.  So I'm curious why you think Bo is better as a captain than Miller......not if Bo could be a good captain, but why he'd be better than Miller.

To me we do not see the dressing room and Bo has shown so far he is a good captain.Speakimg of going to war last playoff Bo did show his leadership.Bo is the captain and has earned it so nobody else will take that away unless Bo decides to give it to another player or gets traded, or retires.

6 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

There is nothing wrong with some internal competition, even as leadership goes.   And as far as the late push goes, it was Horvat scoring the majority of the goals, even more then EP.   Actually went on a torrid scoring clip down the stretch, exactly what you hope for from your Captain.    I'm not sure Horvat was the right choice, feel if Sutter wasn't always in the infirmary, that they might have given it to him instead.   Horvat just was the only guy at the time to give it too.   I believe Horvat will sign an extension, and that all this will go away.   Can't see their camps been too far off.   

Horvat's last year of play, was 6.5 million worth according to the experts that figure this stuff out.   He's played a little more then his contract value over his RFA years.    That will end up getting paid back and some over the duration of his next deal,  exactly how it's supposed too for guys entering their UFA years.   6.5-7 x 8 years.    We should get full value for maybe half of that deal, after that it will fade.    Horvats game is also well suited for later in his career.     

Miller ... well sure he'd make a great Captain too.   But don't see any logical reason to strip the C from Horvat, just because Miller has been the best forward on this team since he arrived.   For sure deserves the A.   

Id be awfully worried, if going into next season we trade Horvat for futures and run with Miller and EP as our top two centers.    Only thing that makes some sense, is if we get a young RHD that could play with QHs long term.   But it's going to hurt.    Horvat is an important part of this core. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/16/2022 at 9:12 AM, wai_lai416 said:

So eer what 1 goal game are you referring to? We won 3 or 4 1 goal game in regulation under boudreau since he took over. Let’s add a couple of games in there we scored an empty net goal to bump the difference to 2. How often do you see nhl coaches break up their lines and start double shifting players when they are winning? Rare? You are clueless if you think who’s better defensively is based on who’s out there and ep is almost the worse defensive forward out of the top 9 based on that rather than actually watch the game. You are welcome to your opinion since you don’t need to watch the game and just read stat sheets to determine who’s better. Boeser is such a great defender out there last min on the game all the time can put pucks in the net. Wonder why there was no interest in a great 2 way forward based on stats sheet. Anyways don’t bother replying you are entitled to yours I’m entitled to my opinion 

I’m talking about in general, not just with BB. Green never used Pettersson in these type of situations as well. Don’t you think a coach would want their best defensive forwards out there defending a close game, when the goalie is pulled? Pettersson is rarely seen late in the game, when the game is close.

Most coaches would mix up their forward group late in the game and double shift players. Cooper does this, when he wants to put Stamkos out there late in the game. He usually plays with Palat/Paul instead of Point/Kucherov. Trotz did it when he coached Washington breaking up Backstrom/Ovechkin. AV was notorious for it, when he coached here. 

I find it funny that you insult my integrity of watching games, when I’m a subscriber to Sportsnet now premium.

Edited by shiznak

44 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I’m talking about in general, not just with BB. Green never used Pettersson in these type of situations as well. Don’t you think a coach would want their best defensive forwards out there defending a close game, when the goalie is pulled? Pettersson is rarely seen late in the game, when the game is close.

Most coaches would mix up their forward group late in the game and double shift players. Cooper does this, when he wants to put Stamkos out there late in the game. He usually plays with Palat/Paul instead of Point/Kucherov. Trotz did it when he coached Washington breaking up Backstrom/Ovechkin. AV was notorious for it, when he coached here. 

I find it funny that you insult my integrity of watching games, when I’m a subscriber to Sportsnet now premium.

Holy crap I already said you are entitled to your opinion I’m entitled to mine I don’t want to argue with you coz I’m disagree with how you just base your opinion on stats rather than your eyes. Most people around the league agrees EP is above average with his defensive awareness and defensive play but you seem to think he’s worse than boeser and everyone else on the canucks because they don’t double shift him like some coaches in the league. Is boudreau one of those that double shift their player? Prolly not? You rarely even see him double shift miller or ep even when they are losing. 

I don’t care if you subscribe to sportsnet premium. I have sportsnet premium and nhl center ice too so what? Wth does that even mean? what u like to see and chooses to see is none of my business I can care less if you like to look at stats only. I’ll repeat again stop quoting me you are entitled to your opinion and I’m entitled to mine I don’t want to waste my time going back and forth with you.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks
13 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Why is Friedman giving his opinion of how much it will be? He has no idea what they’re discussing and what kind of term. Hate when the media tries to manipulate things like this. They did it with Miller and they were way off.

They also said the Miller deal wasn’t close and then it was done. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why is Friedman giving his opinion of how much it will be? He has no idea what they’re discussing and what kind of term. Hate when the media tries to manipulate things like this. They did it with Miller and they were way off.

They also said the Miller deal wasn’t close and then it was done. 

To be fair, Miller himself said the deal wasn't close at all then got done in a matter of days. Saying that Horvat isn't close doesn't mean the same thing won't happen, it's just the facts. It's their job to stir things up, people enjoy reading it and it sparks conversation. Even you, who clearly doesn't like it, was the first to reply. Now I'm replying to you, and a discussion has been started. It worked.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

To be fair, Miller himself said the deal wasn't close at all then got done in a matter of days. Saying that Horvat isn't close doesn't mean the same thing won't happen, it's just the facts. It's their job to stir things up, people enjoy reading it and it sparks conversation. Even you, who clearly doesn't like it, was the first to reply. Now I'm replying to you, and a discussion has been started. It worked.

Yep...

Wasn't it the same with EP last year?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Shayster007 said:

Don't recall. Seems to be how these deals come together though. If both sides are motivated to make something happen, it will. Just like with Miller.

Last year, there were concerns EP wouldn't remain a Canuck....

He was skating on his own (with QH and Tkapuke), as they couldn't agree on a contract.