The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I see Miller as a winger in the next few years as age catches up to him.

Saying we have center depth now doesn’t mean it will stay that way. 

We need to keep Bo as our second line center.

Miller Petey Podz

Garland Horvat Boeser

That’s how I see our real depth.

But how you & I see this(or any avg fan) might not fit the bill. It might be a question of how the other 31 GM's see Bo. What would they pay? Never easy to do, but that '98 dealing of TL set the table for decades of profit.

Personally have long felt a key to succeed in this cap paradigm is to establish a top-notch, top-4 D set. If somehow it can be done cheaper(like Col just displayed), this should be a target.

Unsure how the mgmt will get there, but some of this offensive capital will(sooner or later), have to be transferred to the blueline

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

But how you & I see this(or any avg fan) might not fit the bill. It might be a question of how the other 31 GM's see Bo. What would they pay? Never easy to do, but that '98 dealing of TL set the table for decades of profit.

Personally have long felt a key to succeed in this cap paradigm is to establish a top-notch, top-4 D set. If somehow it can be done cheaper(like Col just displayed), this should be a target.

Unsure how the mgmt will get there, but some of this offensive capital will(sooner or later), have to be transferred to the blueline

True but there are other ways than trading core players. 

Maybe it involves a Garland or a Boeser trade, but like you said there are cheaper (creative) ways to get those players.

Clearly the Islanders undervalued a player like Toews. We need to put more investment in our analytics department and find those players that are being undervalued around the league.

In the meantime I don’t wanna trade away good players unless we’re getting a player that is a legit top 4. No more trading for players like Gudbranson and hoping.

I think management needs to be patient and wait for the right deal. If they can make the cap work in the meantime and wait for some contracts to come off the books they’ll be in a position to do so.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

6.5 would be low, I'm hoping that we can land him around 6.9 on 8 year deal.

You won't find another guy on the open market with his skillset. In free agency, he's about 7.5 - 7.75, maybe as high as 8.

6.9x8 would be a nice deal

Nice 69 GIF - Nice 69 Rubiks - Discover & Share GIFs

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think management needs to be patient and wait for the right deal. If they can make the cap work in the meantime and wait for some contracts to come off the books they’ll be in a position to do so.

I don't follow media coverage(esp local) closely, being out of NA; yet from poster reaction/comments here, it appears mgmt has been holding their cards pretty close to the vest. Media appears oblivious..who knows what they're(JR & PA) up to?

So I've wondered if maybe they received/discussed offers on ALL our C's(not just Miller) over a period of months? Maybe they got a sense that Bo might land a relatively comparable(or ever better?) return, due to his age & various attributes. Perhaps a younger C, or cheaper & appropriate for bottom-6, alongside a fine young, drafted D-man?

Just don't see Bo as the type to quibble over every dime. But if he senses Mgmt might be considering some serious offers, he could certainly have his back up.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Let me get this straight, you want the captain of the team engaging in on-ice drama, instead of keeping calm, which is what wins games???

Yeah, REGULAR SEASON GAMES:lol:

Keeping calm has never been an asset to us in the playoffs. Players have been hurt over the years including Daniel, Naslund,  Boeser and Petey. 

Teams have manhandled us over the years such as the Bruins or Ferlund's Flames. 

I want a Captain who will go to War for his team mates and not say "Lets get back at them on the PP boys". ::D

...............that'll show them.  If they are going to go down, I want to see them go down with a fight.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Keeping calm has never been an asset to us in the playoffs. Players have been hurt over the years including Daniel, Naslund,  Boeser and Petey. 

I want a Captain who will go to War for his team mates and not say "Lets get back at them on the PP boys". ::D

...............that'll show them.  If they are going to go down, I want to see them go down with a fight.

You have overall team toughness that addresses that. I've never seen Horvat just skate away unless the situation calls for it.

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Me too. If they're going to lose, at least go down swinging.

The last time they went down with a fight was in '94, when a real captain, TL scored 2 goals in game 7 of SCF to make it a game, and he gave the opponents hell. He had cracked ribs, torn rib cartilage, and he was still crushing guys, like when he laid the shoulder on Brian Leetch and scored to cut the 2-0 deficit to 2-1.....and in the '82 SCF, where they had no business even being there vs. the mighty NYI, lunch bucket guys like Captain Stan Smyl led the charge.

A quote from Cliff Ronning (who had a broken hand in that series) on the '94 SCF: "You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final," Cliff Ronning said. "You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

After all of these years, the images of Naslund's "We choked", and the Rat speed-bagging Hank Sedin in the head in 2011 SCF will never fade from this fan's memory.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Cheers 2

Anything between 6.5-6.8 on an 8 year deal is acceptable for me. Can't be 7+ it just can't.

We are the only team that can offer him the 8th year. The max I believe he would get on the open market is 7.5 million over 7 years and I'm being generous. Thats 52.5 million. Our offer of 6.5-6.8 million over 8 years would be 52mill-54.4 million. I know he'd have to play an extra year here to make the same amount but he'd be like 36/37 when his contract is up. It's not like he's signing another huge deal at that age. He's likely calling it a day.

Like others have mentioned I would be using Brayden Schenn as the comparable contract 6.5 x 8years. Bo's camp will argue he brings more to the table leadership wise and scores more goals + cap going up. Canucks gotta hold firm

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Let me get this straight, you want the captain of the team engaging in on-ice drama, instead of keeping calm, which is what wins games???

Win?? You want your captian looking at his teammate getting 2 v 1 and horvat just skates back to the bench?  We have seen him do that soooo much. I'm not doing 7+ x 8 for that I'm sorry. 

I'll do a team friendly 6.25 x 8 or he can enjoy Philly, And we can enjoy their top 5 pick :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scottydzik said:

Like I’ve suggested multiple times the offseason plan should of been to fix our d First. He’s done absolutely nothing to fix it and should be held accountable if your telling me 2023 2nd or 3rd Garland Hoglander can’t fetch a top 4 D your crazy. He cleared zero cap space a guy like Jan Rutta would of been low risk high reward signing. 

This doesn't work the way you might think imo. You can't just pluck great teams lower end talent and place them on a meh team thinking they will excel though. The cost is waaay to high. I do exactly what PA did via the fwd group simply due to lack of money and unwillingness to pay the trade price to aquire them. I want massive change too but we will keep compounding the issues if we force moves like that 

7 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Win?? You want your captian looking at his teammate getting 2 v 1 and horvat just skates back to the bench?  We have seen him do that soooo much. I'm not doing 7+ x 8 for that I'm sorry. 

I'll do a team friendly 6.25 x 8 or he can enjoy Philly, And we can enjoy their top 5 pick :P

we obviously watch a different team.

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, Rackdawg said:

F$@king eh...i lost all respect for the guy when he did a fly by and left OEL to fight after i believe it was podkolzin was crunch with a hit..ffs stand up for your teamates..

I remember that one, I spilled my beer I was so pissed, and that wasn't the first flyby by him either. Many here want to disregard those things, as it doesn't support their narratives, but I vehemently do not think he's the captain to lead us to the SC.

I tell myself that I like Bo in some aspects as a player, but is it my homer glasses on that's telling me this? He's good on the dot, but he rarely shows tenacity, he doesn't drive play, nor is he great defensively....and some people are okay with him being here for the next 8 years, at $7.5 AAV. What?!?

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I remember that one, I spilled my beer I was so pissed, and that wasn't the first flyby by him either. Many here want to disregard those things, as it doesn't support their narratives, but I vehemently do not think he's the captain to lead us to the SC.

I tell myself that I like Bo in some aspects as a player, but is it my homer glasses on that's telling me this? He's good on the dot, but he rarely shows tenacity, he doesn't drive play, nor is he great defensively....and some people are okay with him being here for the next 8 years, at $7.5 AAV. What?!?

Offer him $6 x 8, or else trade him.

Rackdog made a good point saying Horvat did that flyby when OEL had to deal with things. I remember that. Not really a fan of Bo being the captain, I understand why they gave him the C though. Who else were they going to give it to. Edler?

Gotta say, Miller with the C in the black skate jersey would be pretty sharp.  

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Rackdawg said:

The reason people are so enamoured with horvat is ..the last 9 yrs hes bin basicaly the best of the bunch and thats bin mediocre at best. Time to move on from him imho..

You mean the guy that had rotating plugs like Kenins, Eriksson, and Baertschi? 

Yea I wonder why he could have been mediocre…:picard:

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You mean the guy that had rotating plugs like Kenins, Eriksson, and Baertschi? 

Yea I wonder why he could have been mediocre…:picard:

Time to move on from the passive horvat..didnt rutherford say he 

Wanted to change the core group..guess what

their still here..