The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Nov. 29, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

And that's fine, I don't take issue with people thinking Bure was more talented. I took issue with the exaggeration. 

But again, different players with different capabilities and gifts playing in different eras. 

Bure and the Sedins crossed era's ... Bure was all but done and the twins just starting.  Last three seasons, first three - the biggest difference is Bure never played a game in the non redline, no obstruction dead puck era gone era.   He was great from the start until the end ... sucked about his knees.   Sedins for sure more durable and of course different players.   

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

19 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

A fan who watches the game on tv and buys merch, or the season ticket holder has to 100% know that their $ is as good as gone...the team can do whatever they want, they can sit on their ass and meddle like they are now and we have to accept it. Yes, it sucks but it is out of our control at the end of the day. Sad part is, all of us who do that are showing passion/caring...something the owners seem to have none of!

Agree totally man

We need a coaching change, how can it possibly hurt at this point?

I have a weird allegiance for the rest of this NHL season.  

I'll be cheering for all the bottom feeders other then Arizona and Ottawa.  There's just no way that we catch them, but I think that finishing in the bottom 11 is very reasonable.  

Canucks will go on a couple of runs this year when the top players pick up their form, but I don't think we have any chance of making the playoffs being this far back.  

In other words, I want Vancouver to be respectable for the rest of the year and get to 75 to 80 points, enough to be entered into the draft lottery.  This is the new format for the NHL draft lottery that's being implemented this year: 

"Two more rule changes that will be in place for the 2022 draft lottery are: 1) A team cannot jump more than 10 spots in the lottery. So the top bottom 11 teams have a shot at first and the bottom 12 have shot at second. 2) Teams cannot win the lottery more than twice in a 5 year span."

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t think it’s an exaggeration. Bure became a superstar after his first game in the NHL. The Sedin twins took 5 years just to become front line players. And they needed two of them playing together regularly to do it. Bure dominated games all by himself. He was a one man wrecking crew. The Sedins played almost every shift together over an 18 year period.  Bure hit 100 points in his second NHL season. Henrik didn’t do that until he was 29. 

I love the Sedins. They are my Swedish brothers. But I also have to speak the truth.  They choked in the playoffs. That game 7 in 2011 was an embarrassment. Bure and Linden gave it everything they had. They played like their lives depended on it. Bure even stuck up for himself. He was abused just as much as the Sedins were if not more. But he actually pushed back hard and gave it back to his enemies. Just ask Shane Churla. Meanwhile with the Sedins we have to live with the memory of Brad Marchand using Daniel’s face as a punching bag for the rest of our lives. 

In 1994 Canucks fans were on their feet in Game 7 cheering the team on all the way to the end of the game. In 2011 I know people that walked out of Rogers Arena in disgust after the second period. 

It's tough.

People are comparing the greatest hockey player to ever put on a Canucks jersey.

Is Bure better than Henrik? Easily. Without question. Undeniably. If you don't believe so you probably didn't see Bure play live. 

That doesn't mean Henrik is bad. Bure was simply significantly better. Just look at the all time playoff points per game.

I think Loungo was better than McLean but I'd take McLean in a game 7 over Loungo every time.

I'd also take Linden over Henrik game 7 all day long.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 4

8 hours ago, AC30 said:

It may be coaching - Petterson’s problems - 

but Miller just keeps on getting points

some players just don’t get affected or don’t follow the coach and therefore get the points 

Character players find a way to over come, they don't make excuses or give up. We are seeing a perfect example of who is going to over come, and who is going to make excuses with this core. This will be the same in the playoffs, which is scary to think about. I couldn't handle going to game 7 again, and losing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steven Stamkos said:

I’m not arguing who has more skill. Bure is the best player this organization has ever seen. I’m just saying we had two 90+ point players and that saying “that Bure had more talent in his pinky finger than anyone on that team” is wrong. The Sedins will be in HOF because they were some of the best skill guys in the game during this time. 

If Bure had a twin brother, we would have a Stanley Cup under our belt. ::D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, that Marchand moment, will always be a stain in Daniel's legacy (imo); and perhaps a very big reason, why he is hated here so much.  It would had probably been a different series, if Daniel had started to fight back; but it is not in there nature to engage in that manner.

Still irritates me , another piece to that 2011 puzzle was the Canucks power play was unstoppable until that series and it dried up. Management and the Coaches (AV) philosophy was we could win any series if we received more power plays than the other team and the players were instructed not to engage between whistles hoping the penalties/power plays would  follow. Unfortunately the combination of SCF ( Colins kid playing for Boston ) the penalties dried up as well as our ability to score on the few PP’s we had.

Like you said “ in their nature to follow instructions, no engagement.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, igorwasgreat said:

Still irritates me , another piece to that 2011 puzzle was the Canucks power play was unstoppable until that series and it dried up. Management and the Coaches (AV) philosophy was we could win any series if we received more power plays than the other team and the players were instructed not to engage between whistles hoping the penalties/power plays would  follow. Unfortunately the combination of SCF ( Colins kid playing for Boston ) the penalties dried up as well as our ability to score on the few PP’s we had.

Like you said “ in their nature to follow instructions, no engagement.

Yeah, that series started out well for the Canucks (2-0) but ended disappointingly.   The douchery of the Bruins was obvious; as if they knew something about the Zebras.  Anyways, just like 94, it seemed like both teams were going against the Zebras/league & the other team.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

It's tough.

People are comparing the greatest hockey player to ever put on a Canucks jersey.

Is Bure better than Henrik? Easily. Without question. Undeniably. If you don't believe so you probably didn't see Bure play live. 

That doesn't mean Henrik is bad. Bure was simply significantly better. Just look at the all time playoff points per game.

I think Loungo was better than McLean but I'd take McLean in a game 7 over Loungo every time.

I'd also take Linden over Henrik game 7 all day long.

Yes, 100% agree. I saw Bure live in Moscow and I saw him live in Vancouver. And, by the end of the day, I end up living in Vancouver because of Pavel

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Good thing you didn't like a player from Afghanistan....haha 

It might be funny, but I got into huge argument with my wife about moving to Vancouver. She had a point- we have relatives in GTA, but we did know anybody in Vancouver, except Canucks, it is very hard to move into a new country without support. But, at the end of the day, Canucks won::D

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, AC30 said:

At the same time - people learn - in a year the younger players grow in character as well... we don’t know what Petterson will do in a year - it’s up to him - he may have a bounce back year 

Ovi had a few ‘bad‘ years goal scoring wise - but nothing like what Petey is going through 

To me it's all about how he shows up for camp next year. If he looks the same, like he slacked off at the gym, that's bad news. 

• Upvote 1