The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks have been outplaying their opponents since the Colorado game..........can they turn it around?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Last night on Petey's goal he was left alone to get off his one timer with nobody in the way to block it.

Montreal immediately adjusted and on subsequent opportunities there was someone right on Petey and blocking his shooting lane.

This is a microcosm of the game with in the game on special teams.  Canucks need to try the Petey one timer but if it is not available they need to game plan for an alternative.  ie if the opponent is dedicating one man to be on Petey and take away his shooting lane this has to open an opportunity elsewhere.

This is what I find frustrating about our coaching.  It is like - give it to Petey.  If there's a shooting lane great if not they simply give it to him anyway and have him shoot into the defender or miss the net.

Where is the alternative when Petey has no clear shooting lane? Coaching makes a huge difference on special teams.

Why not switch out Miller for Boeser on the first unit? Miller can score, true, but he's also prone to turnovers.  It's time for the return of the Triangle of Death. Where if Petey is covered, Hughes dishes to Flow. Get his one timer confidence back.  And if both are covered Hughes probably has a lane to shoot himself.

• Upvote 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Right. But at the end of the day, we didn't win any of those games. And that's all that matters at the end of the day. 

Could have, should have, would have. To me, the process is important, yes, but it feels like that can be used as an excuse for poor play and poor coaching. Unfortunately, this is a results driven business. You don't perform, you're going to be replaced, player and coaching staff. 

I'm not making any excuses, I'm am suggesting that an immediate coaching change could very easily change some of these L's to OTL's or W's.  Our roster is not as bad as our record indicates.  

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

The Canucks have been outplaying their opponents since the Colorado game..........can they turn it around?

Our record aside, the Canucks have been outplaying their opponents outside of the Pittsburgh game.   Lets have a look:

-We outplayed Colorado (after the first 10 minutes of the game)

-Outplayed Winnipeg

-Outplayed Chicago

-Outplayed Columbus

-Boston was a toss-up 

-Outplayed Montreal

So outside of our game against Pittsburgh, and a toss-up against the Bruins, the Canucks arguably could have gone 5-1-1 over these last 7 games.  Obviously, they did not, but the fact remains that the Canucks have been playing some decent hockey over these last 7 games outside of the Pittsburgh game.  They are clearly a fragile bunch right now but sometimes all it takes is one game to start something. 

While the Canucks chances of making the playoffs this year are slim to none, can they get on a hot streak at a certain point this year to make things interesting?.........and perhaps   set the tone for next season?    Last year for instance, despite our horrible season, we still managed to pull off one hot streak of 8-3-2 between the Pettersson injury and the Canucks covid outbreak.

A win over Ottawa next game and maybe the Canucks get their confidence back.  

Having puck possession on the perimeter isn't outplaying to opposition. Thats called keepaway. Opposition just needs to sit back and watch our players on the perimeter until we hand the puck over. I'd do the same if I was the opposition.

32 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

You forgot the likely scenario… be mediocre for another 52 years 

Try and be positive.  On average, the Canucks make the cup every 14 years [(12+12+17)/3]

I’m not sure how old you are but I’ll be 41 in January and so I’m expecting somewhere between 2-3 cup runs before my time is up.  None of us know how these things will work out.  I’ve already seen my other teams win (BC Lions, Seattle Seahawks, Toronto Blue Jays, Miami Heat), and so the Canucks is all that’s left for me.   If it happens, great.  If not, I have plenty of other things to be grateful for.  Some guys in third world countries have to drink sulfuric water and eat dog sh1t for breakfast every day just so that they can live and dream for the next day and so I consider all of us here in Canada to be extremely fortunate.

Outplayed?

Shots on net, yes.

Dangerous chances, not so much. 

Having said that, yes, I think they can turn it around as they build better chemistry but the roster needs upgrade, which is going to be hard to pull off in the middle of the season. 

Hog-Miler-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

x1-EP-Podkolzin

Motte-Dickinson-x2

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schenn/Hamonic

x3-Poolman

Replace x1, x2, and x3 with someone better than Dowling, Chiasson, and new Burr and we might turn it around.

But how? Without subtracting a significant piece from the current lineup? 

Maybe load up on the third line with Motte moving up and promote Lockwood or get a physical presence for a 4th line right wing spot? 4th line won't get many minutes but they would certainly bring energy to the game.

Address x3 by trading Rathbone and a pick for say Ben Chiarot in Montreal? I don't know how the cap would work out though.

10 minutes ago, khay said:

Dangerous chances, not so much. 

Having said that, yes, I think they can turn it around as they build better chemistry but the roster needs upgrade, which is going to be hard to pull off in the middle of the season. 

Hog-Miler-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

x1-EP-Podkolzin

Motte-Dickinson-x2

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schenn/Hamonic

x3-Poolman

Replace x1, x2, and x3 with someone better than Dowling, Chiasson, and new Burr and we might turn it around.

But how? Without subtracting a significant piece from the current lineup? 

Maybe load up on the third line with Motte moving up and promote Lockwood or get a physical presence for a 4th line right wing spot? 4th line won't get many minutes but they would certainly bring energy to the game.

Address x3 by trading Rathbone and a pick for say Ben Chiarot in Montreal? I don't know how the cap would work out though.

I agree. We have carried possession against some of these teams, which is great (and was an issue for us 5 on 5 in the past), but it doesn't mean much if we aren't scoring. Most of the shorts this team generates tend not to be very difficult to stop - though the shot heatmap from the Boston game (I think) did seem to indicate quite a bit of net front presence. For a change.

While our roster could (and should) be improved, I don't believe that the holes we have are the reason for our lack of success. I've always said that a guy with true shutdown ability on the blueline is important, but for the 3LW and 4RW positions you show that are lacking in your lineup, I think it's not quite as glaring as you think. There are lots of teams which rely on a rookie or less-than-stellar player or two in their bottom 6.

I'll say it again - the issues with this team aren't too related to the roster itself, imo. I think we need individual star players to play like they can, and we need new special teams systems that are actually effective. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I agree. We have carried possession against some of these teams, which is great (and was an issue for us 5 on 5 in the past), but it doesn't mean much if we aren't scoring. Most of the shorts this team generates tend not to be very difficult to stop - though the shot heatmap from the Boston game (I think) did seem to indicate quite a bit of net front presence. For a change.

While our roster could (and should) be improved, I don't believe that the holes we have are the reason for our lack of success. I've always said that a guy with true shutdown ability on the blueline is important, but for the 3LW and 4RW positions you show that are lacking in your lineup, I think it's not quite as glaring as you think. There are lots of teams which rely on a rookie or less-than-stellar player or two in their bottom 6.

I'll say it again - the issues with this team aren't too related to the roster itself, imo. I think we need individual star players to play like they can, and we need new special teams systems that are actually effective. 

Agree.

Regarding special teams, I think we have everything we need for an effective powerplay just missing the right strategy.

For PK, I think personnel is also a problem.

For example, just Motte returning made a big difference in my opinion.

IMO, having a shutdown defenceman on the left side is equally important to having the right PK strategy.

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Last night on Petey's goal he was left alone to get off his one timer with nobody in the way to block it.

Montreal immediately adjusted and on subsequent opportunities there was someone right on Petey and blocking his shooting lane.

This is a microcosm of the game with in the game on special teams.  Canucks need to try the Petey one timer but if it is not available they need to game plan for an alternative.  ie if the opponent is dedicating one man to be on Petey and take away his shooting lane this has to open an opportunity elsewhere.

This is what I find frustrating about our coaching.  It is like - give it to Petey.  If there's a shooting lane great if not they simply give it to him anyway and have him shoot into the defender or miss the net.

Where is the alternative when Petey has no clear shooting lane? Coaching makes a huge difference on special teams.

EP should learn to make that shot harder - Al Macinnis hard and let's see if anyone wants to block that shot.  Always, wondered how Ovechkin & Stamkos, continues to score in the same spot: perhaps the shot ?

• Haha 1

I mean, sure i cans ee the argument being made here.

it's part of why I keep suggesting firing the coach before making major trades.  At least let them play under a new coach until the TDL then jettison Pearson/Miller and possibly Boeser and recoup the picks in this and next years drafts.

A team as talented on paper as this does not have the same exact consistent failures and break downs we see without it being pinned directly on the coach at some point in time.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I mean, sure i cans ee the argument being made here.

it's part of why I keep suggesting firing the coach before making major trades.  At least let them play under a new coach until the TDL then jettison Pearson/Miller and possibly Boeser and recoup the picks in this and next years drafts.

A team as talented on paper as this does not have the same exact consistent failures and break downs we see without it being pinned directly on the coach at some point in time.

Yeah; and doing anything else outside of a coaching change is counter-productive cause outside, of Miller &  Garland, most of the players are underperforming and there is no cap space.  Canuck brass needs a voice, that has autonomy and the experience & track record to: build & win in the NHL.  The mismanagements, are soo bad that even highly skilled players are looking like highly paid plugs on the ice; the record of this leadership group (including the staff) is abysmal and the blame is on Aquaman (like Melnyk, with the ever rebuilding Sens) cause it is Aquaman, who created this leadership group.  

Even sadder than the Canucks, are the ever rebuilding Sens and both have meddling owners.

Screenshot_20211130-140828_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by ShawnAntoski

38 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Good post,

So since the Columbus game:

-Columbus 

-Boston

-Montreal 

Along with our solid puck possession game, we are starting to add a more prominent net position to our repertoire.  Canucks should build on that.

15 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah; and doing anything else outside of a coaching change is counter-productive cause outside, of Miller &  Garland, most of the players are underperforming and there is no cap space.  Canuck brass needs a voice, that has autonomy and the experience & track record to: build & win in the NHL.  The mismanagements, are soo bad that even highly skilled players are looking like highly paid plugs on the ice; the record of this leadership group (including the staff) is abysmal and the blame is on Aquaman (like Melnyk, with the ever rebuilding Sens) cause it is Aquaman, who created this leadership group.  

Even sadder than the Canucks, are the ever rebuilding Sens and both have meddling owners.

Screenshot_20211130-140828_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Ottawa’s lackluster play has really surprised me this season.  Given the way they finished last season, I thought they’d be on the ride this season.  They were basically boning Calgary for the entire 2nd half last season.

21 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Ottawa’s lackluster play has really surprised me this season.  Given the way they finished last season, I thought they’d be on the ride this season.  They were basically boning Calgary for the entire 2nd half last season.

Same can be said, for the decline of MTL AND THE RISE OF CGY.  Both coaches were hired last year during the season; and the biggest difference, (imo) were the offseason from each team: MTL didn't add to there roster cause Berg had already made the decision to re tool, whilst, CGY tweaked there roster to be more reflective of there coach.

As for the Canucks, they spent heavily in futures & cap space, but failed to recognized - if the coaching staff was capable of putting it all together cause it seems they were to focused on personnel.  JB gambled, with Green (perhaps buying the hype that he is still an up & coming coach in the NHL), and the only thing Green has earned, is his mediocre record.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Outside of the Pittsburgh game, I think one can make a pretty strong argument.  Boston was probably a toss up.   We were outplayed by the Avs for the first ten minutes.  

Like stated by one of our own reporters, Boston turned it on for 7 minutes of the game and came out with the win... that would suggest that our definition of "outplaying our opponents" has essentially become keeping up with them.. 

• Like 1

Every season around Dec/Jan, a few teams surge & a few hit the wall. Seems I recall Minny often providing cases of the latter. This being an Olympic yr, might also feature some drop-offs in the campaign's later stages(Mar, Apr).

I'm not giving up on our boys yet. Another stumble & you kibosh Green - but there's still time to get this thing rollin'.

7 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Like stated by one of our own reporters, Boston turned it on for 7 minutes of the game and came out with the win... that would suggest that our definition of "outplaying our opponents" has essentially become keeping up with them.. 

Been noticing, that alot of the better teams are trying to keep the games entertaining against the struggling Canucks, by allowing them the outside shots.  Also, during most of the games, the Canuck would go through long stretches with a shot.   At this point, let see how the roster does with a different staff.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

You know what. It was just good to see Petey score yesterday against Montréal. 

He hasn't done that enough this season. Must feel good to be able to score. I hope this inspires him to play better especially tomorrow against the Sens. Another bad team (like us), but we can be the less worse team. It's not much, I know, but in a season where we are not even 30 games in, and it feels like the season is lost, got to try to find something positive. I'm tired of hearing all the negativity and no solutions to it (by the owners up to this point). It's draining

Of course it's good to see Petey score, but it doesn't take away from the fact that scoring on the PP like he did last night is not going to work as often as they think it will. Case in point is how Montreal adjusted for the rest of the PPs against Petey. That's why I said he should just keep blasting at the opponent's body to make them hesitate, rather than Petey doing the hesitation.