The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Pittsburgh Penguins @ Vancouver Canucks | Saturday, December 4th, 2021 @ 7:00pm PST | CBC, SN

Rate this topic

goalie13

48 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Yeah, and Garland himself has said he doesn't like the nickname.

I like the comparisons to Johnny Canuck more. With the full beard, he has that lumberjack look.

I wasn’t aware he didn’t like it. I thought originally he embraced it. Makes it not funny anymore. 

• Huggy Bear 1

48 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

What has Petan done to indicate he has any business playing in an NHL lineup?  Both him and Chiasson are absolute trash and Green should have never been allowed to cut two useful players instead of these plugs.  Petan is just as bad as Chiasson; playing either fo them is a disgrace to the franchise.  We have guys in Abbotsford who deserve a shot, why not play of of them instead of continuing with Plug Love?  We've also passed on about 20 guys on waivers who would have been upgrades over Petan and Chiasson.  Sadly, Green doesn't seem to make being an actual NHLer a priority for getting into the lineup.

I’d rather have Chiasson and Petan than Lammikko, Dowling, Highmore, etc.

Chiasson plays his role well. He’s a 4th liner crash and bang. He does what he’s supposed to do and I’m glad he’s not playing anywhere else but the 4th line. 

Petan besides that one Calgary game in the pre season was probably one of our best forwards, again. Pre season. 

Chiasson is doing better than Dickinson if I had to be honest. Dickinson is slow, doesn’t hit often, is not effective on the penalty kill, and can’t win face offs to save his life. If anything, he warrants far more criticism. Dickinson can’t even get a shot on net from 5 ft out. Chiasson at the very least provides physicality and that sound simple game he brings. 

Edited by Odd.

17 minutes ago, teepain said:

Chiasson is our only net front guy, we got no one else. Dont know who will fill that role , maybe garland but we dont need him to take one in the ankle and lose him for week to week. Bo is a fake net front presence, he always peels off for the one timer which defeats the purpose.

Maybe we should have kept Jonah gadovich but he hasnt been able to staple himself into the SJ lineup either

Was going to say Podkolzin, as I seemed to recall a few of his Russian junior and SKA goals being netfront, but after watching this video, it was because Podz drove to the net to score - that's why he was "netfront" .....

Edited by Googlie
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, teepain said:

Chiasson is our only net front guy, we got no one else. Dont know who will fill that role , maybe garland but we dont need him to take one in the ankle and lose him for week to week. Bo is a fake net front presence, he always peels off for the one timer which defeats the purpose.

Maybe we should have kept Jonah gadovich but he hasnt been able to staple himself into the SJ lineup either

I watched a couple of their games and they are not utilizing Gadjovich like we did. 

They’re moulding him to be a tough guy crash and bang player when he’s there’s so much more he can offer. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Quint said:

Let's hope Boeser gets another hattie v Pittsburgh. While Lemieux is my favourite player, how do the hockey gods let Pittsburgh have Lemieux and Jagr, then later in my lifetime Crosby and Malkin? Fook.

Yeah Pittsburgh got blessed twice and won multiple Cups both times.  Edmonton is now in the same position, first Gretzky and Messier and now McDavid and Draisaitl.  Life isn't fair really...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The Summer of Benning produced:

Tucker Poolman +4

Conor Garland +3

Luke Schenn +4

Jason Dickinson +4

OEL 0

Re-sign Quinn Hughes +4

The only negative was Elias Pettersson so far.  But it was to be expected given he missed most of last year with injury.  

Vasily Podkolzin is looking good, JT Miller is a stud and Nils Höglander is competing.  Demko is a star.  Even Tyler Myers is a 0 so he's not actually hurting the team.

So what is the actual problem and why do we suck so bad?  Petey is a -6, Boeser is a -8, Sutter wasn't able to play, we are missing a LHD and we don't have a proper penalty kill.  The only one of those things Benning is directly responsible for is not getting a proper LHD to start the season.  All the other things were really out of his control.  And of course he re-hired Green which was probably Aquilini's decision.

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's like arguing between cold leftover pizza and warm beer...

Hmmm, the breakfast of champions  -  cold leftover pizza.  And you havent lived life to the fullest until you've "gullet downed" a pint of warm Guinness. (I used to work with an Irishman in London who could one- gulp 2 in quick succession... then he'd sip on one for 20 mins or so, then another 2 gulped and back to work after lunch.  I'd manage just one poured down, then sip on a second in that time, wuss that I was)

33 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I’d rather have Chiasson and Petan than Lammikko, Dowling, Highmore, etc.

Chiasson plays his role well. He’s a 4th liner crash and bang. He does what he’s supposed to do and I’m glad he’s not playing anywhere else but the 4th line. 

Petan besides that one Calgary game in the pre season was probably one of our best forwards, again. Pre season. 

Chiasson is doing better than Dickinson if I had to be honest. Dickinson is slow, doesn’t hit often, is not effective on the penalty kill, and can’t win face offs to save his life. If anything, he warrants far more criticism. Dickinson can’t even get a shot on net from 5 ft out. Chiasson at the very least provides physicality and that sound simple game he brings. 

I agree 

I think Dickinson should be waived and sent to Abby. 

41 minutes ago, Quint said:

Let's hope Boeser gets another hattie v Pittsburgh. While Lemieux is my favourite player, how do the hockey gods let Pittsburgh have Lemieux and Jagr, then later in my lifetime Crosby and Malkin? Fook.

It's comes down to the word that is taboo to Canuck ownership..... rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

For those of you who want to trade Bo Horvat:

Faceoff Stats:

Wins:  Bo Horvat - 338 (1st overall)

Win%:  Bo Horvat - 57.8% (5th overall)

Why trade one of the best faceoff players in the NHL when winning faceoffs is arguably our greatest weakness?  Kinda dumb to be honest...

True

But I also wonder why Bo isn't taking control and coaching face offs. 

He's learned from one of the best, thanks Manny, I was thinking he would spend time with our forwards and teach them. 

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

True

But I also wonder why Bo isn't taking control and coaching face offs. 

He's learned from one of the best, thanks Manny, I was thinking he would spend time with our forwards and teach them. 

He's not a coach. We pay someone for that.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Petan was great for providing offense but was a give away machine all pre season. 

Of the group of Lammikko, Dowling and Highmore I have been pleased with Dowling's play. He is good on faceoffs (56.3% this year) and for a smaller guy he does well on the boards.

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

No

*Rigged draft*

LOL

No one forced Jim to take Jake or OJ.    I was yelling at the TV in disbelief.  I was also stunned when they took Petey.  I think I said , "who" then " what the ****.   LOL