The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Here is some of his thinking:

Asked about whether hockey is less offensively inclined:

- Forechecking - fine if the opportunity is there but doesn't like dropping back into the neutral zone

- Why can't you be good offensively and defensively?

- He calls his method pressure defense - get in their face but be supportive, don't get outnumbered and allow odd man rushes (as we know, this has been an issue so I welcome him cleaning this up!)

- Watches and teams'll dump it in then go for a change then they all sit in the neutral zone in the 1-3-1 and wait for the other team to come in and dump it in and they won't forecheck because they're ready to go to a 1-3-1 in the neutral zone and that becomes fairly boring

Etc..... (again, that interview a few weeks ago is a good bit of insight into what we can expect)

Yeah, I liked that interview. Honest guy.

And he made it clear that he is following the Canucks in case they called (not so much Montreal since he didn't think non-French speaking coach would be welcome there). So he should be well prepared to implement his ideas given what we have.

I liked the part where he talked about his experience in Minnesota, forechecking and pressuring the defence is enough and you don't have to hit hard every time. We don't really have much of a hitter in the lineup so hopefully he can lean on that experience to get us out of this mess.

But I do find it a bit concerning that he seems like he wants to dominate the boards and we don't have big bodies to do that on this team.

I'm cautiously optimistic, hopefully he can adjust his style to suit this team.

Edited by khay
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t think Horvat gets how gravity works, or the weight of the situation, and how now.. the pressure is clearly on the players, and him as a leader…

This is Bo’s quote from today : “ "I think our team needed a spark ... but at the same time, we have to go out there and prove it now."

A spark?!? lol 

Bo is a politician, just like Trevor Linden.

Difference is Linden was good at it. 

4 hours ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I’ll take a Henrik Sedin over a Trevor Linden every day of the week. And we have no idea how he is in the locker room, you’re assuming because he’s not fired up for the media that he can’t get emotional behind closed doors? In a market like Vancouver if you get fiery with the media it can turn into a $&!# storm. Watch Bo play and watch his demeanour on the ice, he’s not this passive guy you deem him

Have you watched him play the last two years? He has been much different in terms of lead by example intensity. Maybe Boudreau can get him back to that. 

The fact that you would take Henrik Sedin over Linden as captain tells me you weren’t around for the 94 run. Linden played like a beast and almost willed the team to a cup against all odds and while severely injured.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Have you watched him play the last two years? He has been much different in terms of lead by example intensity. Maybe Boudreau can get him back to that. 

The fact that you would take Henrik Sedin over Linden as captain tells me you weren’t around for the 94 run. Linden played like a beast and almost willed the team to a cup against all odds and while severely injured.

I was definitely there for the 94 run. Linden was very impressive during that run and I still take Hank over him and it’s not really close. Henrik was an elite player during his prime where Linden was a good player during his. In terms of purely leadership intangibles, sure Linden had Hank beat but as players they’re in different tiers

1 minute ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I was definitely there for the 94 run. Linden was very impressive during that run and I still take Hank over him and it’s not really close. Henrik was an elite player during his prime where Linden was a good player during his. In terms of purely leadership intangibles, sure Linden had Hank beat but as players they’re in different tiers

I am talking leadership though, not skill or who was the better player.

Guys followed Linden through the wall and knew he would be the first one through. Never got that vibe off the Sedins tbh. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Well no matter your income bracket it is still unfortunate and nobody likes to see people lose their jobs. Can only be 32 NHL Head Coaches and General Managers right, having that job and now without can't be a great feeling.

It doesn't matter if they have their house(s) paid off or are in debt as many people still outspend and their debt is relative to their income no matter the level.

Welcome to pro sports…..

20 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am talking leadership though, not skill or who was the better player.

Guys followed Linden through the wall and knew he would be the first one through. Never got that vibe off the Sedins 

Different types of leaders though. All excellent in their own way. The fact that Trevor absolutely loved and respected the twins should speak volumes The best endorsement Henrik could ever have really.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Different types of leaders though. All excellent in their own way. The fact that Trevor absolutely loved and respected the twins should speak volumes The best endorsement Henrik could ever have really.

Different type of leaders is my whole point. This team needs more Linden, less Sedin at this point in time.

• Cheers 2