The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, 131313 said:

You must be playing NHL 22 on easy, not happening in the real world.

I am clearly being optimistic about the changes and what might happen.

You on the other hand are stating that’s it’s not happening in the real world. 

You are stating that, definitively, without a &^@#ing doubt, that my OPTIMISM is so VIDEO GAME ish and it’s in NO WAY happening in the real world…

Stanley Cup GIF by St. Louis Blues

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Wow 1311$:$sd or whatever name that is sure knows how to spoil a party 

I am saying the same thing I have been for months. The players are the problem and not the coach. The party is that they fired a coach that was a small part of the problem, most of the problem is unchanged.

• RoughGame 1

34 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Probably takes 96 points to make the playoffs. It means we need to capture 78 out of the remaining 114 points possible. Or winning 39 out of 57 games. Yeah, not too easy. 

But if you flip the number over you get 69 points, nice.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Boudreau… second highest winning percentage for coaching with over 900 games.   Established winner.

Fits the bill of what I think this team needs!  Hopefully it works out.

Does look impressive. There are things which give me pause about Boudreau's record:

Head coaching record

Team Year Regular season Postseason
G W L OTL Pts Division Rank W L Result
WSH 2007–08 61 37 17 7 (81) 1st in Southeast 3 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (PHI)
WSH 2008–09 82 50 24 8 108 1st in Southeast 7 7 Lost in Conference Semifinals (PIT)
WSH 2009–10 82 54 15 13 121 1st in Southeast 3 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (MTL)
WSH 2010–11 82 48 23 11 107 1st in Southeast 4 5 Lost in Conference Semifinals (TBL)
WSH 2011–12 22 12 9 1 (23) (fired)
WSH total 329 201 88 40     17 20  
ANA 2011–12 58 27 23 8 (62) 5th in Pacific Missed playoffs
ANA 2012–13 48 30 12 6 66 1st in Pacific 3 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (DET)
ANA 2013–14 82 54 20 8 116 1st in Pacific 7 6 Lost in Second Round (LAK)
ANA 2014–15 82 51 24 7 109 1st in Pacific 11 5 Lost in Conference Finals (CHI)
ANA 2015–16 82 46 25 11 103 1st in Pacific 3 4 Lost in First Round (NSH)
ANA total 352 208 104 40     24 19  
MIN 2016–17 82 49 25 8 106 2nd in Central 1 4 Lost in First Round (STL)
MIN 2017–18 82 45 26 11 101 3rd in Central 1 4 Lost in First Round (WPG)
MIN 2018–19 82 37 36 9 83 7th in Central Missed playoffs
MIN 2019–20 57 27 23 7 (61) (fired)
MIN total 303 158 110 35     2 8  
Total 984 567 302 115     43 47  

1.) Look at Boudreau's regular season record. It is quite impressive. Now, look at his playoff record... Teams under Boudreau appear have a pretty good regular season record, but then they seem to hit a wall at some point in the playoffs (ie. they can't make it over the hump). While being in the playoffs is a good thing, constantly being in the playoffs, without having playoff success is not. Hopefully Boudreau has greater success here.

2.) Has Boudreau been the beneficiary of signing with, and achieving success with, teams which were on the cusp of success, or were already good? If so, how much team building/leadership was he responsible for, beyond providing systems and some vocal leadership etc, which worked for a while. Did Boudreau's success with Washington and Anaheim come after all the hard work had already been done by the previous coach? Might another coach have had greater success, ie. playoff success (see point #1)? And how are his results with the Wild to be interpreted? 

In the two season's prior to Boudreau coming to Washington, the Capitols were pretty dismal. This being said, Ovechkin entered his third year in the NHL when Boudreau was hired by the Caps.

Is Boudreau's shelf life here going to be around 4 - 5 years before he loses the ear of the players? Are people okay with that? Or will it be the Wild model where there are two good seasons and then people around here will be calling for another re-build?

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Bruce will challenge JT for the amount of F bombs dropped per game...that is the real win here in this change of coaching.

Bruce Boudreau Darn GIF - Bruce Boudreau Darn - Discover & Share GIFsBruce Boudreau has something to say - GIF on ImgurTop 44 The Bruce Boudreau Library GIFs by Giles Ferrell | GfycatHey guys, working on a... project. Send me your favorite Bruce Boudreau gifs!  : r/wildhockeyTop 44 The Bruce Boudreau Library GIFs by Giles Ferrell | GfycatBoudreau GIF | Gfycat

Giles Ferrell (@gilesferrell) | Find & Make GIFs on Gfycat

I'll take that in a heartbeat.  He's a guy who clearly has his players' backs and isn't afraid to call out the refs.  We could use a little emotion behind the bench.

2 minutes ago, 131313 said:

I am saying the same thing I have been for months. The players are the problem and not the coach. The party is that they fired a coach that was a small part of the problem, most of the problem is unchanged.

You keep rolling with that. Doesn’t mean you take it out on others lol

6 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Bruce will challenge JT for the amount of F bombs dropped per game...that is the real win here in this change of coaching.

Bruce Boudreau Darn GIF - Bruce Boudreau Darn - Discover & Share GIFsBruce Boudreau has something to say - GIF on ImgurTop 44 The Bruce Boudreau Library GIFs by Giles Ferrell | GfycatHey guys, working on a... project. Send me your favorite Bruce Boudreau gifs!  : r/wildhockeyTop 44 The Bruce Boudreau Library GIFs by Giles Ferrell | GfycatBoudreau GIF | Gfycat

“Kid-free” zones for up to 5 rows behind the home-team’s bench or bring along your head phones & ear muffs.

Scorched seating! 

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

someone needs to a light an F-bomb fire under these guys, why not? :D

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You keep rolling with that. Doesn’t mean you take it out on others lol

Ok, after several slightly crude and obnoxious exchanges that were made all in fun maybe I roped you into the exchange unintentionally.

sorry.

27 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Both you and your ‘doctor’ are…what’s the word again?

Unhinged indeed. 

Or maybe the doc determined that due to a pre existing medical condition a vaccine was not a good risk.

It does happen.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'll take that in a heartbeat.  He's a guy who clearly has his players' backs and isn't afraid to call out the refs.  We could use a little emotion behind the bench.

Calling out the refs:

#1 question to all applicants:  how will you be doing this?

Ingenuity is a plus, as the frequency of this requirement while here in VanCity, will blow Boudreau’s freakin’ mind! 

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

OUT: Head Coach Travis Green and assistant coach Nolan Baumgartner

IN: Head coach Bruce Boudreau and assistant coach Scott Walker

As much as I wanted Benning and Green fired, I am most relieved at Weisbrod being fired. He is a cancer to every team he joins as he only worries about consolidating his own power and influence. I guarantee Linden and Brackett being shoved out the door involved Weisbrod to some degree. 

6 minutes ago, 131313 said:

Ok, after several slightly crude and obnoxious exchanges that were made all in fun maybe I roped you into the exchange unintentionally.

sorry.

Ahh she’s all good maybe I read into it wrong. Guess we’ll find out what kind of players we got over the next couple months. 

2 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

OEL.  There's barely any other team in the league that can boast two D with that sort of play dictating power.

And instead of using them to push offense we have them retrieving the puck from our zone again and again because we can’t sustain pressure.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Or maybe the doc determined that due to a pre existing medical condition a vaccine was not a good risk.

It does happen.

I would've taken him at his word about his "doctor" recommending not to take the vaccine for legitimate reasons except he followed up with the typical anti-vaxxer excuses. 

• Upvote 1