The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Travis Green, name Bruce Boudreau as head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

26 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Does look impressive. There are things which give me pause about Boudreau's record:

Head coaching record

Team Year Regular season Postseason
G W L OTL Pts Division Rank W L Result
WSH 2007–08 61 37 17 7 (81) 1st in Southeast 3 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (PHI)
WSH 2008–09 82 50 24 8 108 1st in Southeast 7 7 Lost in Conference Semifinals (PIT)
WSH 2009–10 82 54 15 13 121 1st in Southeast 3 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (MTL)
WSH 2010–11 82 48 23 11 107 1st in Southeast 4 5 Lost in Conference Semifinals (TBL)
WSH 2011–12 22 12 9 1 (23) (fired)
WSH total 329 201 88 40     17 20  
ANA 2011–12 58 27 23 8 (62) 5th in Pacific Missed playoffs
ANA 2012–13 48 30 12 6 66 1st in Pacific 3 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (DET)
ANA 2013–14 82 54 20 8 116 1st in Pacific 7 6 Lost in Second Round (LAK)
ANA 2014–15 82 51 24 7 109 1st in Pacific 11 5 Lost in Conference Finals (CHI)
ANA 2015–16 82 46 25 11 103 1st in Pacific 3 4 Lost in First Round (NSH)
ANA total 352 208 104 40     24 19  
MIN 2016–17 82 49 25 8 106 2nd in Central 1 4 Lost in First Round (STL)
MIN 2017–18 82 45 26 11 101 3rd in Central 1 4 Lost in First Round (WPG)
MIN 2018–19 82 37 36 9 83 7th in Central Missed playoffs
MIN 2019–20 57 27 23 7 (61) (fired)
MIN total 303 158 110 35     2 8  
Total 984 567 302 115     43 47  

1.) Look at Boudreau's regular season record. It is quite impressive. Now, look at his playoff record... Teams under Boudreau appear have a pretty good regular season record, but then they seem to hit a wall at some point in the playoffs (ie. they can't make it over the hump). While being in the playoffs is a good thing, constantly being in the playoffs, without having playoff success is not. Hopefully Boudreau has greater success here.

2.) Has Boudreau been the beneficiary of signing with, and achieving success with, teams which were on the cusp of success, or were already good? If so, how much team building/leadership was he responsible for, beyond providing systems and some vocal leadership etc, which worked for a while. Did Boudreau's success with Washington and Anaheim come after all the hard work had already been done by the previous coach? Might another coach have had greater success, ie. playoff success (see point #1)? And how are his results with the Wild to be interpreted? 

In the two season's prior to Boudreau coming to Washington, the Capitols were pretty dismal. This being said, Ovechkin entered his third year in the NHL when Boudreau was hired by the Caps.

Is Boudreau's shelf life here going to be around 4 - 5 years before he loses the ear of the players? Are people okay with that? Or will it be the Wild model where there are two good seasons and then people around here will be calling for another re-build?

regards,  G.

Post-season record is a concern, but for the rest?  

If all goes according to plan, he’s the perfect guy for the job.  We need a guy who can take an underachieving yet talented group and put them over the hump. (at least so far as becoming a playoff team)

Some leg work to do to reshuffle the D as well..  but I’m really hoping his track record continues and saves this group from never achieving its potential.  He’s also 66 - not sure how many years he has left behind the bench anyways - I’m totally fine if he’s short term and we’re kind of lucky a guy of his pedigree was available mid season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Now Unleash The Podz!!!

#FreePodz

1 hour ago, combover said:

Goodbye Travis “ that’s a good team over there” Green 

Yeah, that's something I definitely won't miss. There's a place for being complimentary and recognizing game when you see it, but I got tired of hearing about how good the other team played all the time. That, and his consistently throwing his team under the bus while taking zero accountability. 

Hopefully those aren't habits he carries with him going forward, it won't endear him to a team or a fanbase.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Man I’m not gonna miss his pressers.

Back and forth between making excuses and throwing his players under the bus.

Had the arrogance of a much more accomplished coach.

Exactly, it was a real downer. 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Boudreau seem to have so much more life than other coaches. I love seeing his heart. Surely that rubs off on the players 

He does, I love that. The energy of this coaching staff, and the guys who survived the purge, should make for a much more positive work environment. And that matters regardless of what you're being paid.

39 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Glad Shaw didn’t get the axe. He deserves a shot alongside a legit NHL coach.

Im probably reading too much into it but I remember a game earlier in the season where Shaw was talking to Green in detail about something on the bench and Green looked like he was just completely tuning him out.

Something tells me  they had zero chemistry. It’s funny though cause Shaw was more qualified to coach a team than Green.

Hopefully a fresh start under Boudreau will allow him to be heard.

Agreed, I don't think he ever really got to contribute as much as he was capable of. Looking forward to seeing how we gradually improve under this group.

22 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

As much as I wanted Benning and Green fired, I am most relieved at Weisbrod being fired. He is a cancer to every team he joins as he only worries about consolidating his own power and influence. I guarantee Linden and Brackett being shoved out the door involved Weisbrod to some degree. 

Yeah, the mysterious Weisbrod. 

How about Smyl as GM and Jarvis ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

I hope everyone is patient.

We will not see an immediate turnaround... although I'm hopeful Boudreau can use the Holiday period and Break to organize his changes... hopefully the players cooperate.

If the team can win more than 50% of its remaining games then its a moral victory.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Post-season record is a concern, but for the rest?  

If all goes according to plan, he’s the perfect guy for the job.  We need a guy who can take an underachieving yet talented group and put them over the hump. (at least so far as becoming a playoff team)

Some leg work to do to reshuffle the D as well..  but I’m really hoping his track record continues and saves this group from never achieving its potential.  He’s also 66 - not sure how many years he has left behind the bench anyways - I’m totally fine if he’s short term and we’re kind of lucky a guy of his pedigree was available mid season. 

I don’t think Boudreau is a long term find for the team. He’s on a 2 year deal right? Was that something Boudreau wanted or the Aquilini family? 

I’m also concerned about Boudreau’s playoff record. It’s not great. If he couldn’t get over the hump with The Great 8, then I’m not sure how he’s going to do with a team that has no real superstar players (yet). I wonder why Boudreau was signed only for 2 years? 

Does that give the new GM an opportunity to hire his guy?

And is there a plan to hire a President or just another GM? 

36 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Does look impressive. There are things which give me pause about Boudreau's record:

Head coaching record

Team Year Regular season Postseason
G W L OTL Pts Division Rank W L Result
WSH 2007–08 61 37 17 7 (81) 1st in Southeast 3 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (PHI)
WSH 2008–09 82 50 24 8 108 1st in Southeast 7 7 Lost in Conference Semifinals (PIT)
WSH 2009–10 82 54 15 13 121 1st in Southeast 3 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (MTL)
WSH 2010–11 82 48 23 11 107 1st in Southeast 4 5 Lost in Conference Semifinals (TBL)
WSH 2011–12 22 12 9 1 (23) (fired)
WSH total 329 201 88 40     17 20  
ANA 2011–12 58 27 23 8 (62) 5th in Pacific Missed playoffs
ANA 2012–13 48 30 12 6 66 1st in Pacific 3 4 Lost in Conference Quarterfinals (DET)
ANA 2013–14 82 54 20 8 116 1st in Pacific 7 6 Lost in Second Round (LAK)
ANA 2014–15 82 51 24 7 109 1st in Pacific 11 5 Lost in Conference Finals (CHI)
ANA 2015–16 82 46 25 11 103 1st in Pacific 3 4 Lost in First Round (NSH)
ANA total 352 208 104 40     24 19  
MIN 2016–17 82 49 25 8 106 2nd in Central 1 4 Lost in First Round (STL)
MIN 2017–18 82 45 26 11 101 3rd in Central 1 4 Lost in First Round (WPG)
MIN 2018–19 82 37 36 9 83 7th in Central Missed playoffs
MIN 2019–20 57 27 23 7 (61) (fired)
MIN total 303 158 110 35     2 8  
Total 984 567 302 115     43 47  

1.) Look at Boudreau's regular season record. It is quite impressive. Now, look at his playoff record... Teams under Boudreau appear have a pretty good regular season record, but then they seem to hit a wall at some point in the playoffs (ie. they can't make it over the hump). While being in the playoffs is a good thing, constantly being in the playoffs, without having playoff success is not. Hopefully Boudreau has greater success here.

2.) Has Boudreau been the beneficiary of signing with, and achieving success with, teams which were on the cusp of success, or were already good? If so, how much team building/leadership was he responsible for, beyond providing systems and some vocal leadership etc, which worked for a while. Did Boudreau's success with Washington and Anaheim come after all the hard work had already been done by the previous coach? Might another coach have had greater success, ie. playoff success (see point #1)? And how are his results with the Wild to be interpreted? 

In the two season's prior to Boudreau coming to Washington, the Capitols were pretty dismal. This being said, Ovechkin entered his third year in the NHL when Boudreau was hired by the Caps.

Is Boudreau's shelf life here going to be around 4 - 5 years before he loses the ear of the players? Are people okay with that? Or will it be the Wild model where there are two good seasons and then people around here will be calling for another re-build?

regards,  G.

His playoff record doesn't bother me, playoffs are a weird beast and people used to say similar things about Trotz before he won with Washington. Get to the dance at all is an achievement, and you can't win it all without a ticket to the dance. Some of the best coaches never win a championship, sports be like that. 

We're not contenders, we shouldn't have those expectations. Getting back to the playoffs regularly should be our goal first, contending just isn't realistic at this junction. 

As for your second bit, the answer's probably a bit of both. Has he benefitted from talented rosters? Of course he probably has, but he was also able to get those rosters to perform. A symbiotic relationship of sorts, a good coach should look good because his team plays well. But said coach being able to get that out of said team is noteworthy because not every coach can, especially consistently like Boudreau's been able to. 

Coaches all have a shelf life, they know that going in. If he's here for 4-5 years so be it. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

His playoff record doesn't bother me, playoffs are a weird beast and people used to say similar things about Trotz before he won with Washington. Get to the dance at all is an achievement, and you can't win it all without a ticket to the dance. Some of the best coaches never win a championship, sports be like that. 

We're not contenders, we shouldn't have those expectations. Getting back to the playoffs regularly should be our goal first, contending just isn't realistic at this junction. 

As for your second bit, the answer's probably a bit of both. Has he benefitted from talented rosters? Of course he probably has, but he was also able to get those rosters to perform. A symbiotic relationship of sorts, a good coach should look good because his team plays well. But said coach being able to get that out of said team is noteworthy because not every coach can, especially consistently like Boudreau's been able to. 

Coaches all have a shelf life, they know that going in. If he's here for 4-5 years so be it. Time will tell. 

4-5 years? By that time, Boudreau’s going to be close to 70. 

I don’t know any other coach in the league that’s that old and is still coaching. Health issues got to be a concern at that stage of life, no? 

I think he’s here 2 years, and then they move on from him. 

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

No but he definitely planted a seed with that Capitals team about what it takes to be competitive while he was there. 

He was fired 10 months after that F bomb rant.  It didn't work.  He's a great regular season coach.  He will help us get to the playoffs unless Smyl remains the GM and starts making trades.  However, the playoffs is a different story.  

I miss the days of Pat Quinn and Brian Burke.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

He was fired 10 months after that F bomb rant.  It didn't work.  He's a great regular season coach.  He will help us get to the playoffs unless Smyl remains the GM and starts making trades.  However, the playoffs is a different story.  

I miss the days of Pat Quinn and Brian Burke.

Well, making the playoffs regularly should be the goal for this group and team. We’re not contenders, so expecting this group to contend for Lord Stanley is just not realistic. 

Boudreau I think can probably get us to the playoffs next year, assuming some changes are made to beef up the roster. But once there, this city has been starving for a championship for almost 52 years now. 

Do the Aquilini’s have a time frame for hiring the next GM? Because he should probably have enough leeway to get a gauge on the 2022 draft as well. Can’t screw that one up, especially it being so deep. 

• Upvote 1