The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I thought he was let go as well…

I thought so also. Aqua-mans tweet does say Jim, John , Green and Baumer.   I hope that is true. I heard something suggesting that John was still here. 

33 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Might feel like the Crawford coached Canucks. Run and Gun and hope for the best defensively. 

Demko's a lil better than Cloutier though. 

Wonder if they have the defence to play that type of system. Might get a Rathbone callup sooner than later.

I don't mind watching us get burned on this style occasionally, its just so much more fun to watch this team when they are set free.

I do feel a bit sad for Jim, I don't think he was bad person in the slightest, but too many mistakes caught up with him.

The kind of "GM by committee" thing should be fine for the rest of this year, it signals no major player changes will happen or trading 1st round picks.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Timråfan said:

I said what Benning had coming because he was a bad leader. I got that right…
What have you contributed?

Jim is gone because his cap management finally caught up with him, and he bet on the wrong coach. It has nothing to do with your ideas on his personality, if we were even a .500 team right now he'd still have a job.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Jim is gone because his cap management finally caught up with him, and he bet on the wrong coach. It has nothing to do with your ideas on his personality, if we were even a .500 team right now he'd still have a job.

Dahlen was only a minor part of his bad communication skill as witnessed by Tanev, Toffoli, Tryamkin and more.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I give the new management and coach 2 weeks before the same people are clamoring for new new management, yelling at the coach for loving plugs, and then deciding we need new owners, maybe a new arena, training staff, and whatever else they can come up with.

2 weeks? try the 2nd intermission tonight. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I give the new management and coach 2 weeks before the same people are clamoring for new new management, yelling at the coach for loving plugs, and then deciding we need new owners, maybe a new arena, training staff, and whatever else they can come up with.

Nonsense… Canucks fans are long suffering.  Their dissatisfaction with the Benning regime has been close to a decade in the making.

It is honestly puzzling how long many people supported him as they seemed to conflate cheering for their team with the performance of one individual.  People blamed everyone else until it became ludicrous.  8 years later we have a bad team and bad prospect pool because of Gillis, Linden, Brackett, Ownership, Desjardins, Green, etc…

No GM got fewer wins per dollar spent over his tenure.  No other GM had a below .500 record and got the amount of leash he got.

He simply was bad at his job.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I was a big supporter of Benning and I liked most of his moves. I would’ve liked to see him through with another coach. 

Why would a GM that has had virtually no results after 8 years and 2 coaches deserve to hire yet another coach?

24 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I hope so!! That way we can draft the 2nd round gems that Gillis did.

Such hits as...

Yann Sauve, Anton Rodin and who could forget Alexandre Mallet.

Where are the other 2nd round picks you might ask? He traded 3 of them away.

That was 2 GMs and 8 years ago my man let it go.

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

TL was right about doing a proper rebuild not overpaying UFA's to try and fast track things.

Uhh from what I remember, TL was the one who directly stated once that a rebuild "wouldn't be fair" to the Sedins... which further delayed the process.

Don't remember him actually clearly vouching for a proper rebuild.

As for the reason why he had a falling out with Benning and ownership, well there was no clear reasoning given and its all speculative.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Creating cap for next year, lose these:

800  Hunt            
750  Chiasson    
750   Lammikko 
2.65  Dickenson      
750   High             
3M    Luo          

1.1M Sutter       

4 goals between this lot, 3 of those goals gifted pp time to Chiasson. 

That makes 9.7M for upgrades

Add DiGuseppe and Lockwood would make 11 forwards. (To our top forwards.) If we're stuck put either Burroughs/Booker/Schenn on the 4th line,for 12th forward.

Brock about the same 5.875 at 6M x3. 

Maybe keep Sutter? 

Maybe trade Ferland to someone who could use cap relief.Is that a thing? 

With 9.7 add a 3rd line centre and a RHD.

I admire your optimism but I don't think you can take a bunch of league minimum/IR contracts add Dickenson then have 9.7m to spend. We'd still have to fill a roster. Ferland and Dickenson have negative value, paying to get rid of them would leave you 2.65M to sign a 3rd line centre and a RHD. Almost forgot Luongo, yes his cap penalty is over but the cost of our buyouts goes up by about 2m. So you've got just over 3.5m left for two good FA signings...

Bon chance mon ami!

edit: oh and isn't Boeser's QO 7.5m? can't see you getting him to sign for 6

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Like 1

Marc Bergevin.   

No, no,no,no,no,no,no.

He is not a guy who will take time to build an organization. If they bring in a guy like Bergevin we will know that the owners have learned nothing. This organization needs to be built from the ground up. They say they want to compete for a cup.   

There is no quick fix to get you there. Drafting and developing.

It's a shame it came to this. For the first while, Green created buy-in and the players were a very close and play-hard-for-each-other team. At the same time, Benning was creating a team full of elite young talent and character, while slowly getting closer to the changing of the guard of older vets and the new young core.

Then...

Player Name continued to fester. Covid struck. Benning, for all of his positives, made some questionable moves, likely in response to the fans' hate towards the Player Name signing, and he let Marky and Tanev go and didn't resign Taffoli. At the time, most pundits and fans saw these as shrewd but necessary moves, as how could we risk signing three players on the wrong side of 30 for 4+ years each yet again? Hindsight, of course, asks, "Maybe we should've kept them?" I still think these non-moves will one day show to be the better moves, but it's clear now how much of an impact it had on the culture of the team and buy-in. Losses start to pile up, Green had no answers except, "Stick to the process", but by that time the players didn't feel the process was going to work like they were told it would. 

So where are we now? 

We're left with a tabula rasa and an elite young core of players and support players, and we have Benning to thank for this. There's  no reason why we can't recognize what he's done for the makeup of our team, and I truly think one day we will look back on his tenure as being monumental. But, we're also left with one of the worst made bluelines in recent history, and a mentally damaged, young team. The time was now. This could be the jolt this team needs to really start to turn things around. Granted, it'll likely mean a mid-round pick again, but we have the pieces to make a great team. We just need some smart moves made to fix the blueline, and maybe the bottom six forwards. 

Cheers to you, Benning, for all of your drafting and the trades that worked out. See ya later Green and Baumer - I hope you can learn some answers to your failed systems. 

I'm so pumped for these moves made by FA, especially to see some new systems and how the players respond. Less gooooo!!!!!

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Dahlen was only a minor part of his bad communication skill as witnessed by Tanev, Toffoli, Tryamkin and more.

Tanev and TT were cap snafu's. Nik is an odd bird that doesn't want to be in the NHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Uhh from what I remember, TL was the one who directly stated once that a rebuild "wouldn't be fair" to the Sedins... which further delayed the process.

Don't remember him actually clearly vouching for a proper rebuild.

As for the reason why he had a falling out with Benning and ownership, well there was no clear reasoning given and its all speculative.

You are correct, believe that was right after he came on board, could be wrong tho

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I still have one of your last posts on CDC present; you viewed the losses on the ice as the normal ups and downs a NHL team goes through during a season. This Canucks play on the ice and the record have nothing to do with the normal ups and downs of a NHL team. You couldn't be more wrong with your take. I assume you still believe in your theory and believe and Jim and Travis still deserve to be part of this organzation, because of their great performances. That's funny. Isn't it.