The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

Sad, but true. Unfortunately, there are really only four ways to acquire players: the draft, waivers, free agency and trades. If you can't find a trade partner, the draft is over, and nobody worthwhile is on waivers, you are seduced into thinking that free agency is the way, the truth and the light. Yes, Benning made some colossal, head-scratching moves on or after July 1st each year and deserves fair criticism for that. But really, and I am NOT trying to defend him, what other options did he have?

Sign players to contracts that doesn't handcuff the team cap-wise and term.

Use cap space (weaponize) to get more draft picks.

That is what I originally wanted.  But whatever.

We got Miller, OEL, and Garland.   So that's a positive to me.

But we also got Myers, Dickerson, and Pearson for a few more years.  That's a negative to me.

2 minutes ago, butters said:

What I am really hoping is that all the malcontents simmer down for a while. But I figure the next lynch mob is a couple weeks away.

We've already got people complaining the owner hired a coach himself.  Any GM coming in will love having a coach who is decent, but who he can fire without it being his fault for firing him if things go south.

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

One of the biggest myths about the Canucks is that Horvat is a 2 way centre.  He is a well below average defender.  

Hes pretty good 2 ways.  Better than most and the best on the team for sure.

Hes not Bergeron level but bo is still a helleva hockey player.

Im almost certain and theres been talk hes playing hurt this year.  Reasoning behind him not being on the pk. He has always been one of our best pk guys . There cant be any other reason other than injury. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Tom Sestito said:

Benning gave out more trade protection, traded more futures, and run the organization with no future planning moreso than any other GM in Canucks history (At least during my lifetime)

Iceman has to be trolling

BB, EP, TD, QH, NH, VP, BH, JR, CG, the list goes on…..seems like trying to build around key young guys was the plan all along

18 minutes ago, butters said:

What I am really hoping is that all the malcontents simmer down for a while. But I figure the next lynch mob is a couple weeks away.

Hopefully coming out tonight with a rejuvenated approach under Boudreau will silence some of the whining. 

Whichever GM comes in is going to be forced to be okay with Boudreau... 

Have to think they'll go with a younger GM but an older PoHO....

Ryan Johnson for GM? (respected league wide), new assistants (Mellanby/Futa/Darche/Chayka?)

Old boys club PoHO  (McPhee? Tambellini? Larionov? Nicholson? Renney? Bergevin? Lombardi)

Edited by BureBurrito