The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 06, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

The Bouds Boudreau honeymoon lasts for how long? I love his openness and willingness to talk hockey. He has been hired 3x and fired 3X before. I doubt there is much he hasn’t seen in the game. His statement that his decisions are always based on what is best for the team stays with me. Look at how he spread the TOI out last night. Pretty damn even as any team building towards contention should be. Uneven ice time tells players how maybe their efforts aren’t valued. The only player with extended ice was Hughes. The only 2 players on the team that are playing like top ranked players are Hughes and Demko. 

A lot of solid performances last night. I thought Dickenson had one of his best games as a Canuck. Releasing the hounds to chase the puck to an extent worked. LA was kinda of listless so I don’t build to much into the win. Just a much better effort which has been building for 3 weeks now. 

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

watching the game tonight i was impressed the way the D played as there appeared to be no sit back and wait for the play to come to them. I think it threw the Kings a bit that there was pressure on them in our end. Myers and Poolman actually looked decent.

The fore check was great and turned the puck over especially on the Lammiko goal.

The energy level was definitely higher than in previous games and we looked like a faster team.

Demko was his usual great self and got some run support finally. you cant win in this league scoring 2 goals or less every night

Pettersson had his best game of the season and looked dangerous again

Brock scores and played a lot better as well.

Bruce has had an effect on the team already. Looking forward to what he brings to the team longer term.

I posted earlier this week about needing an established NHL coach to replace Green. Well you couldnt find a more established coach than Boudreau.  Wins everywhere he has gone, never had a losing season.Pretty much the definition of what we were looking for.

The d played d last night and were not expected to drive the play in the offensive zone. We finally got to see our skilled forwards drive the play from the hash marks in the offensive zone. Just an easy fix and so hard for Green to grasp.

4 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Always the most negative person.

Do we need to burn the team and start from scratch or can we push for a playoff spot and a decent record?

I wonder if you will be able to say anything positive now that we moved on... hmmmm

These guys are more interested in being right all the time than anything Canucks. They will never change because they are know it all's and it's so very important that they hold it over everyone. Once the luster wears off they'll be right back to lambasting and deeply insulting the next faction that is standing between them and there own perceived glory. The only time the bitching will subside a bit is if we win the cup and even then they'll still be bitching about how they would have done it better and sooner. It's rather obnoxious but being super annoying and trolling the rest of CDC isn't against the rules.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

A bag skate is about one thing and one thing only:

Its about an insecure coach needing to somehow establish dominance over his players. It doesn’t improve fitness. It doesn’t teach them anything. It just shows a coach who has no answers left.

While I could take it or leave it…. It does give you a pretty quick indication of who came to camp in shape. So that could be two things….. 

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

These guys are more interested in being right all the time than anything Canucks. They will never change because they are know it all's and it's so very important that they hold it over everyone. Once the luster wears off they'll be right back to lambasting and deeply insulting the next faction that is standing between them and there own perceived glory. The only time the bitching will subside a bit is if we win the cup and even then they'll still be bitching about how they would have done it better and sooner. It's rather obnoxious but being super annoying and trolling the rest of CDC isn't against the rules.

I feel like it’s pretty much a staple at this point lol.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Sportsnet I think.

They had a graph a few games ago showing us in 5th spot for puck possession. Might have been 5 on 5 play.

I had a look around, it's a hard stat to find on the web for this old man. 

Thanks - think I found it.  Did a search on twitter using "canucks puck possession" and someone posted a Sportsnet screen grab that shows them 2nd in o-zone puck possession time but with 5.4 shots from the inner slot per game while the other 4 teams ranked are between 7.1 and 8.4 (EDM, TOR, MIN, COL).  Not sure if 5v5 or all situations.  

• Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I like what Bruce said about winning the week. That mindset. I think as a fan that’s what I’ll Hope/watch for too

Me too. I liked that message, and also keeping things simple for his high end talent. "Shoot the puck more Brock" :lol:

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Thanks - think I found it.  Did a search on twitter using "canucks puck possession" and someone posted a Sportsnet screen grab that shows them 2nd in o-zone puck possession time but with 5.4 shots from the inner slot per game while the other 4 teams ranked are between 7.1 and 8.4 (EDM, TOR, MIN, COL).  Not sure if 5v5 or all situations.  

I'm hoping coaching in a better net presence changes that part of the stat.

17 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

The d looked completely different with Shaw in charge.

It was still pretty sloppy, but also just game 1 with no practice.

We'll see. I expect improvement simply because our AHL coaches are gone but Brucey can't change the personnel. 

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

It was still pretty sloppy, but also just game 1 with no practice.

We'll see. I expect improvement simply because our AHL coaches are gone but Brucey can't change the personnel. 

sloppy and pushing the pace, vs. sloppy and static

• Cheers 1

So yeah, after one game it can't be coaching, at least in terms of what Boudreau has to add.  But there is addition by subtraction, and the team looked like they had shackles and weights taken off them last night.  It's almost  like they felt allowed to play the way they wanted to. 

But beyond any systems, I just think that trust between the team and management broke down over the non-offers to Tanev and co. and management's failure to stick up for the players when they weren't ready to return from covid last spring.  There was a real backlog of negativity, and getting rid of Benning and Green was the only way to fix it.  Boudreau is the perfect antidote and things  are going to get better. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I dunno man. Most ppl here seem to be pretty happy rn. 

We wanted Green gone because the team was underperforming heavily. 

If the team plays better, why would we be upset?

If the team continues to under perform, it'll probably mean new GM will come in and make some trades. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. 

9 hours ago, LesPaul81 said:

Benning was legit with many of the moves he made.  But if some of the reports about him being guarded about his plans are true, that's obviously going to be an issue organizationally.  Hanging his hat on Green was, I think, his ultimate mistake.

Very true about hanging his hat on Green.  His ultimate mistake in my opinion.  And quite honestly, perhaps Green's assistants were a bigger part of the struggle.  Either way, it was time to move on.

Not sure what you mean about JB being guarded?  Curious though.