The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury started that winning culture.

Before that it was Lemieux and Jagr. 

It helps to have generational players to facilitate that winning culture.

Trade JT and sign Malkin as a UFA...I joke I Joke, I kid I kid!!!

16 hours ago, spook007 said:

That would be the Benning, who's team who is 8-0-1 in the last 9? 

Yes, but I'm quite sure most GM's would prefer to take over Canucks now to what Gilles left with all the players lock in NTCs and MTCs (and I'm one of those who understood  why NTCs and NMCs were handed out... 

Benning pretty much handed out NMCs and NTCs in the form of overpaying pretty much everybody. 

The team is in cap hell and bare cupboards in terms of prospects... He spent his load for a bubble playoff team. 

8-0-1 is great... I've been cheering the whole way but let's not get ahead of ourselves... They were close games against mostly bad teams... The nucks have their work cut out for them against the cream of the crop still.. 

• Huggy Bear 1

On 1/7/2022 at 4:06 PM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

The Penguins are a first class organization and have an indisputable winning culture. I think we could do a lot worse than adding a couple Pens' execs... 

The penguins have had some terrible stretches too, don't kid yourself. Before they drafted sid gino and fleury they were perennial bottom feeders after mario retired.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:25 PM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I was just reading that Rutherford won the Stanley Cup with Carolina in 2006 and again with Pittsburgh in 2016...........anyone else seeing what this means for us in 2026?!!:towel:

12 years to 82

12 years to 94 

12 years to .. oops

17 years to 2011

17 years to 2028

or maybe these kind of number runs are unreliable

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Run n Gun said:

Benning pretty much handed out NMCs and NTCs in the form of overpaying pretty much everybody. 

The team is in cap hell and bare cupboards in terms of prospects... He spent his load for a bubble playoff team. 

8-0-1 is great... I've been cheering the whole way but let's not get ahead of ourselves... They were close games against mostly bad teams... The nucks have their work cut out for them against the cream of the crop still.. 

If you came in as a new GM, there is no doubt which roster you would prefer to inherit between the one MG left and the one JB left.

Where as the roster MG left were old and running out of their hockey life, the roster now is new and still mostly a good bit away from its peak...

And while I agree it is mostly against supposedly bad teams, the games before BB were mostly close as well, but the play itself was nowhere near as good as it is now...

They may suck, once they meet better teams, but you can only play whomever is in from of you...

We were also considered a bad team (almost the worst) until the change of coach.

Finally, most teams will have limited in their cupboards, when you promote players to the team at a pace, as we have done. 

2 or 3 more drafts now, and once Petey, Brock, Quinn and Bo enters their prime, the supporting cast should be ready... Both Hogs and Podz still need maturing. 

Lets see how it unfolds, but for JR there is plenty of players that can be traded for good / great returns, which there weren't for JB.

On 1/7/2022 at 1:50 PM, shiznak said:

Like I said, I bet only 1 or 2 of those prospects will ever make it into the NHL.

We seen first hand (Schroeder, Juolevi, and to a lesser extent Hodgson) that even though a player dominates the tournament. They do not bring the same success to the NHL level. 

and Gaudette won the Hobey B 

15 minutes ago, spook007 said:

If you came in as a new GM, there is no doubt which roster you would prefer to inherit between the one MG left and the one JB left.

Where as the roster MG left were old and running out of their hockey life, the roster now is new and still mostly a good bit away from its peak...

And while I agree it is mostly against supposedly bad teams, the games before BB were mostly close as well, but the play itself was nowhere near as good as it is now...

They may suck, once they meet better teams, but you can only play whomever is in from of you...

We were also considered a bad team (almost the worst) until the change of coach.

Finally, most teams will have limited in their cupboards, when you promote players to the team at a pace, as we have done. 

2 or 3 more drafts now, and once Petey, Brock, Quinn and Bo enters their prime, the supporting cast should be ready... Both Hogs and Podz still need maturing. 

Lets see how it unfolds, but for JR there is plenty of players that can be traded for good / great returns, which there weren't for JB.

if you were a fan, there is no doubt which team you would rather watch

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

if you were a fan, there is no doubt which team you would rather watch

Agree...

But we only got 1 season after MG left... Hopefully we are at a stage, where our team gets exciting again.

I remember, when Mike Gilles took over, there were a lot of good young players, but don't think the team was any better than we are today... maybe slightly.

Our Young stars now are younger, than they were then. So a year or two more, and we can start to compare rosters?

Edited by spook007
  • Huggy Bear 1

From Canucks Army:

PHOTO CREDIT: NHL.COM

Report: Patrik Allvin is a frontrunner to become the Vancouver Canucks’ next general manager

DECEMBER 23, 2021, 7:00 AM | DAVID QUADRELLI

The Vancouver Canucks are getting closer and closer to naming a new general manager.

After the club let go of GM Jim Benning and AGM John Weisbrod, the organization decided to hire Jim Rutherford as President of Hockey Ops to start to fill in the holes in the Canucks’ front office.

Yesterday morning, Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli joined Mike Halford and Jason Brough on Sportsnet 650 and gave the latest on the Canucks’ hiring situation.

“Jim Rutherford has done a lot of the legwork behind the scenes to conduct interviews and set this plan in place,” said Seravalli. “I believe Jim Rutherford was actually heading back home to Carolina for the holidays, and in addition to that, a lot of it is on hold because the next step in the process for a lot of these candidates is to meet directly with the Aquilinis who will then help make the decision moving forward.”

Seravalli also mentioned Patrik Allvin as a potential name to get the job.

“I think it’s down to three candidates or so for the general manager position. Patrik Allvin from the Pittsburgh Penguins received permission to speak to the Canucks. He — I believe — is the front runner for the job. Everyone’s in a holding pattern to wait until after the holidays after the new year to meet with the Aquilinis, go through that part of the interview process, and then a decision will be made. I think the same sort of process exists, even though the Canucks are a bit further along. I think in some of these assistant GM searches that you know, there’s a little bit of a hold up at the moment for the holidays. So I’d imagine that a lot of it will wait till the back end of that and and then we’ll see some decisions that come, but I’ve heard Patrick all mean for the GM spot.”

Rutherford promoted Allvin to Pittsburgh Penguins Director of Amateur Scouting in 2017.

“We are very fortunate to have Patrik on our staff to make this an easy transition,” Rutherford said at the time. “He is a terrific judge of talent, and he has the leadership qualities to lead our amateur scouting department into the future.”

A native of Sweden, the 47-year-old Allvin joined the Penguins as a European scout in 2006-07, and was promoted to head scout in 2012.

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So another GM without prior GM experience ? :(

I think the difference now is that JR is going to ease the new guy in, rather than that bumbling retard we had as a GM giving away 2nd and 3rd rounders like they were candy for guys like Linden Vey, Gudbranson, Brandon Sutter etc the moment he sat in the GM chair

• Vintage 1

First time I've heard this name get mentioned.

Figured after all the issue's Vancouver had with rookie management that JR would go in another direction.  Going to have faith in Rutherford's cup ring's and management experience before I pass judgement though (plus it has to actually happen).  

Kind of sounds like Alvin is the low hanging fruit for the press. JR’s previous organization, easy to go there and find out had asked for approval to talk to him. 
Maybe he is the front runner but I think he is just the name the press has identified. 
Would like to see this settled soon.   

• Cheers 4

19 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Kind of sounds like Alvin is the low hanging fruit for the press. JR’s previous organization, easy to go there and find out had asked for approval to talk to him. 
Maybe he is the front runner but I think he is just the name the press has identified. 
Would like to see this settled soon.   

In person interviews happening soon with the serious contenders about 5-6 people apparently. Let's hope the Canuck owners step in and say hey we know you want to bring in people you know but Jim you said you wanted Diversity...I don't see much Diversity if you want to hire all former Penguins staff to fill roles within the Canucks. The NEW Canucks GM should be someone from outside of Pittsburgh,

signed Franceso Aquilini

PS- Look for candidates from Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Colorado, Nashville etc please and thanks!

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

In person interviews happening soon with the serious contenders about 5-6 people apparently. Let's hope the Canuck owners step in and say hey we know you want to bring in people you know but Jim you said you wanted Diversity...I don't see much Diversity if you want to hire all former Penguins staff to fill roles within the Canucks. The NEW Canucks GM should be someone from outside of Pittsburgh,

signed Franceso Aquilini

PS- Look for candidates from Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Colorado, Nashville etc please and thanks!

I am not sure why everyone seems to think that previously having hired and worked with someone and knowing what they can bring and their qualities is a detriment. 
Seems to me having experience with someone and detailed knowledge about them would be an asset. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I am not sure why everyone seems to think that previously having hired and worked with someone and knowing what they can bring and their qualities is a detriment. 
Seems to me having experience with someone and detailed knowledge about them would be an asset. 

How'd you enjoy Baumgartner and Weisbrod getting gifted jobs despite their gross incompetence?  That's the downside.

• Vintage 1