The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

This just bought time until our guy is no longer under contract. I’d bet with what we have assembled here that George McPhee or Tulusky from Carolina who Jim mentored will be the new GM here. 

Tulsky was hired by Ron Francis after Rutherford left Carolina.  He is currently AGM with Carolina and many believe he is ear-marked to be their next GM.  Doubt Dundon or Waddell would allow him to be interviewed.

Canucks have just crushed it. They just went out and got the most experienced guy to run the Buisness side of things. He will mentor whoever comes in and with Boudreau as coach we have two guys that can sit around and talk pucks for hours straight. People will actually want to come here now rather than turn down interviews due to ownership rumours of meddling. 
They actually did it the right way. 

Bravo!

• Like 4

Was hoping the team would bring in a President.  Seeing whom it is makes me wonder if this is meant to solve several issues.  

1) Give both a real and optic view that Aquilini isn't involving himself in the day-to-day.   A younger less experience President could be viewed more readily to be manipulated.  Older people often have the ability to say "Get stuffed" :>

2) Bringing in an experience mentor for the existing staff (think Sedins) that can replace him after the 3 year tenure (or sooner if need be - health). 

3) Experience at winning!!!

Hoping nothing major is done with the players until we bring in a new GM.  Hoping that Stan and team are part of the decision on whom is brought in and a new culture is brought into the team.

Best part of his initial comments was he was developing a plan.  See what you have, what you need and make a plan to reach your goal.

Very happy with these past few days.  Hopefully a new GM (in the future) will solidify our path forward.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Tulsky was hired by Ron Francis after Rutherford left Carolina.  He is currently AGM with Carolina and many believe he is ear-marked to be their next GM.  Doubt Dundon or Waddell would allow him to be interviewed.

Thank you for the info! 

1 minute ago, mll said:

I prefer their other AGM anyway.  Yorke worked under Rutherford and has a strong scouting background/

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

This just bought time until our guy is no longer under contract. I’d bet with what we have assembled here that George McPhee or Tulusky from Carolina who Jim mentored will be the new GM here. 

I think Tulusky came after JR left...though I'm hoping there's some overlap in their respective networking groups.

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

OK, please repeat after me....Rutherford is President of Hockey Operations. 

He is not he GM of this team, he is in charge of finding the GM of this team.

The moves that he made as a GM are irrellevant, as he is not the GM here.

We just got the buffer between Aquilini and hockey ops that we have wanted for years.  A buffer that comes with 3 Stanley cups on his resume.  Regardless of what people on hockey boards say, Rutherford is experienced, successful, and repsected in the hockey world.  Having him here increases the quality of GM's that we can target.  

This is a huge win for this franchise.

Nicely put BC

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

I’m betting it’s McPhee anyways to add to the old boys club. With the ties here and opportunity to build with great pieces in place it’s a no brainer. 
Mcphee will be the next GM. Pretty darn good front office too if you ask me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

20 years of GMing before Pitt. Made the playoffs in 5 of those years 

You’re going to criticize him now for what he did in his formation years as a GM? People do learn from their mistakes and become better at what they do.

If you follow the NFL, there’s this fellow named Bill Belichek. Lost a bunch of games in his early years of coaching. These days he’s referred to as the GOAT.

10 minutes ago, Thraxious said:

Was hoping the team would bring in a President.  Seeing whom it is makes me wonder if this is meant to solve several issues.  

1) Give both a real and optic view that Aquilini isn't involving himself in the day-to-day.   A younger less experience President could be viewed more readily to be manipulated.  Older people often have the ability to say "Get stuffed" :>

2) Bringing in an experience mentor for the existing staff (think Sedins) that can replace him after the 3 year tenure (or sooner if need be - health). 

3) Experience at winning!!!

Hoping nothing major is done with the players until we bring in a new GM.  Hoping that Stan and team are part of the decision on whom is brought in and a new culture is brought into the team.

Best part of his initial comments was he was developing a plan.  See what you have, what you need and make a plan to reach your goal.

Very happy with these past few days.  Hopefully a new GM (in the future) will solidify our path forward.

Boudreau & JR, are the right leadership for a young core that is ready to compete - short term hires, until this core goes stale.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, and he probably won't be the interim guy for long. He doesn't want to be GM, dunno why people are panicking about him making GM decisions.

Yup, his is a name that commands respect. Teams will take him seriously, and most of the executives out there have likely had a working relationship with him for years. He should be able to find us a quality GM. I'm not even expecting him to make a single trade.

Makes sense given his age, someone else can step into the president role later on.

And boy do we need that stability after these last eight years, it's a breath of fresh air. 

There's no way Smyl didn't know about it before we did, and there's no guarantee Smyl even wanted the position. Speculation doesn't mean $&!#.

I don't see him being a doormat for Aqua, at his age and given the success he's had he doesn't exactly have a whole lot of reasons to just roll over for Aqua. It's not as if he needs the money at this point. 

Plus, he won't be the GM, he won't be the guy reaching out to try and construct trades. 

Dude wtf are you talking about.

If you're going to quote someone and run your mouth, know what you're talking about.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I’m betting it’s McPhee anyways to add to the old boys club. With the ties here and opportunity to build with great pieces in place it’s a no brainer. 
Mcphee will be the next GM. Pretty darn good front office too if you ask me.

“Hello George want to take a pay cut, a demotion and move out of sunny warm Vegas for rainy negative Vancouver?..............

Hello George.... George? George are you there. Uhhh George I think we may have been disconnected?”

Edited by Bure_of_94

45 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Problem is we’re not getting Lombardi with a lateral offer.

Only way you get him away from Philly is if he’s interested in the GM role.

My top three choices would be Lombardi, McPhee, or MacFarland for GM.

Isnt McPhee currently employed as the POHO of the Vegas Knights? If so, why would he take a demotion to be the GM of a less successful team?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Brackett ?

He just left and not in a good way. He demanded full control and said if not I’m out. What makes you think he will be a good GM anyways? Because he can scout guys in the 5th round? A good GM assembles a scouting team to do that for him as no GM should be focused on scouting anyways until a week or two leading up to the draft. 
Brackett would be another non experienced WTH is this team doing hire as the GM. We need a AGM as well and Gillis/Gilman are rumoured to be interested. I’m actually more interested who they hire as AGM then GM because they can be just as an important voice in the room.

Edited by KyGuy123
  • Like 1