The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Canuck Luck said:

Seems like you comprehended that release from iMac way differently than I did.

I see absolutely no "shade" being thrown anywhere. iMac is purely speculating that the two newest firings were from aquaman and not JR. 

Just my thoughts.

Honestly the guy doesn't get the benefit of doubt from me anymore. He's a cancer that needs to be extracted from this franchise. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Something that was mentioned today was that the players had said that they weren't sure what Shaw's job was. So Green didn't seem to put him to use.

The other thing that I heard was to do with how the Canucks used analytics. There is a lot of teams using analytics for player deployment and some of the things that Green was doing was old school. Other teams were destroying them because of it. So it seems .Then there is their poor line changes. Other teams were using that to their advantage. 

We might see some new analytics people come in.

Almost certainly.

Rutherford built strong analytics/data departments in both Carolina and Pittsburgh. He’s said numerous times that analytics and traditional scouting should work in tandem, and that both are crucial and neither is more important than the other.

I’d expect either the new GM, or an assistant in a prominent role (like AGM or Director), will be someone with an analytics background. And similar for a legal/CBA expert.

You don’t fire the two guys with the most expertise in analytics, data, CBA/legal, and contracts, unless you have plans to replace them with better people.

It’s going to be interesting to see who comes in and how high up in the hierarchy they are, in terms of their positions/titles.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Something that was mentioned today was that the players had said that they weren't sure what Shaw's job was. So Green didn't seem to put him to use.

The other thing that I heard was to do with how the Canucks used analytics. There is a lot of teams using analytics for player deployment and some of the things that Green was doing was old school. Other teams were destroying them because of it. So it seems .Then there is their poor line changes. Other teams were using that to their advantage. 

We might see some new analytics people come in.

I think Green was pretty much onboard with analytics. Green just didn't really know how to use the people around him, which is consistent with how he mishandled the better players.

I wouldn't be surprised if Player Name actually performs well under Boudreau lol.

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Almost certainly.

Rutherford built strong analytics/data departments in both Carolina and Pittsburgh. He’s said numerous times that analytics and traditional scouting should work in tandem, and that both are crucial and neither is more important than the other.

I’d expect either the new GM, or an assistant in a prominent role (like AGM or Director), will be someone with an analytics background. And similar for a legal/CBA expert.

You don’t fire the two guys with the most expertise in analytics, data, CBA/legal, and contracts, unless you have plans to replace them with better people.

It’s going to be interesting to see who comes in and how high up in the hierarchy they are, in terms of their positions/titles.

Rutherford fired Chris Gear just a couple of hours ago actually. So you and the other poster @appleboy were right. I have no clue what Jonathan Wall does, but he got fired too, despite having 20+ years in this franchise

Edited by Dazzle

Tulsky or McFarland for GM would be awesome. Rutherford certainly has the resume for POHO. My only concern is that we don’t have a Crosby/Malkin pair to build around and our prospect pool is quite poor. Hate to see more 1st and 2nd round picks traded at this point, would prefer 2 years of stockpiling picks. Overall, cautiously optimistic about the management changes so far.  

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Stfu iMac. 

Rutherford doesn't even have a week in and iMac throws shade at him. What was happening wasn't working here. Why shouldn't he change everything. 

Did he just expect to stay the course of perennial ass?

I believe, the title Perennial Ass is Iain's handle in writing circles. 

• RoughGame 1

26 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Stfu iMac. 

Rutherford doesn't even have a week in and iMac throws shade at him. What was happening wasn't working here. Why shouldn't he change everything. 

Agreed. Scorch the earth.

We have one of the worst overall records since inception in all of pro sports.

Canucks fans have suffered enough.

Clean TF'n house

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

They did converse on the bench on occasion, but I'm going to speculate that Green knew the writing was on the wall, and was perhaps using Shaw as an asbestos suit, possibly at the advice of Benning.

Maybe the owners wanted Shaw in there.  Evaluation.

Maybe Shaw was a spy.    LOL

Edited by appleboy
  • Cheers 1

It makes me think of the movie Money ball where Boston Red Sox hire Peter Brand using a simple process of “ he gets on base a lot” which ultimately produced more runs... and the picture of the meeting with all the old time experts shaking their head is disagreement. This is the Canucks... what they have been doing is not working so fire the works and bring in new people, next up is scouting.

28 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

I could not care less about diversity unless the best person for the job is "diverse". Then it is clear who should be hired.

Otherwise, you are just hiring the lesser candidate to appease all the new age woke folk. 

If you exist in a world without history that is viable.

But when every person hired at every level for decades looks the same then you have severely limited the talent pool you are drawing from. 

I would prefer to look at a much expanded talent pool for a good candidate since we now have an experienced team builder to help shepherd someone with talent.

In a system where every candidate looks the same you sometimes have to intentionally broaden the net a bit to find someone exceptional.

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

So why did you single out the fact he was white? That way of thinking is no better than saying the same thing about hiring a POC.

Funny how you could say 1 and get a like and the other would get you banned.

Is he not? Aren’t all POHO’s and GM’s? Are their any other gender than males in those roles? Isn’t that an issue with lack of diversity running the game? 

That’s why I commented. 

48 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Stfu iMac. 

I think iMac was simply saying that the dismissal of these guys had to be in the works before JR was hired as he wouldn't have had a chance to meet them yet to determine whether they should be let go. 

Edited by SaneNuxFan