The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thread for those who disagree with the Rutherford hire

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

3 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

^ Looks like the thread is gone.

Anyway i did find a tweet from Penguins Now in 2014 that says he is NOT being considered for the job. Just before he got the job :rolleyes: 

https://twitter.com/penguinslive/status/474304408096755712?s=19

No no, it's here. I just can't find the bump you specifically referenced. It's nice you found a tweet from a completely different organization, in a different country, over 7 years ago, but I'm more curious about the one you keep talking about now.

Edited by Shayster007

4 hours ago, drofssalg said:

That link earlier in the thread was from a couple years back. DiPietro, Rathbone and maybe Lockwood seem to be the extent of higher end prospects. They just lost Gadjovich, MacEwen and Lind. The AHL Canucks are a bad team. Sure there are some that could come out of nowhere (players not signed yet) which would be fantastic but as of right now I do not see any difference makers on their way. The Hockey Writers have the Canucks prospect pool ranked at 20th in September 2021. 

I blame JR for the drop from 10 to 20. It’s already happening. /s :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

It’s just incomprehensible to me that so many people would be eternally unsatisfied.

This pitch fork mentality destroys good men. Benning’s family was threatened. Hockey. 

This is beyond “rabid fan” status. This is disgusting.

To be fair, there only really seems to be one anti Rutherford voice in this thread. So many posts by one guy makes it seem like there’s an angry mob. Props to Max for his stamina. 

10EDE126-03D1-43E3-9B88-A6C06BCE0308.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I'll find it later.

Anyway i also did a "who's a worse GM, MacT or Chiarelli?" thread. And the theme of that thread was be careful what you wish for. 

I'm sure you will..

I never denied you seem to be the root of all the negativity around this. If anything, that might be the only thing we agree on. So far the overwhelming majority of belly aching here seems to be you regurgitating HF and referencing things I can't find proof of. 

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Not to get involved in the original discussion, but while Gilles and Benning may have left the cupboards bare, the playing squad is vastly younger now that the one Gilles left. Its fair to expect that this team is going to grow, how much remains to be seen, where as Gilles team was on the top if not past the top of the curb.

Think its a slightly unfair comparison...

It’s also an unfair comparison because Gillis teams actually accomplished success at the nhl level unlike any team in the Benning era. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

@MaxVerstappen33, I've been meaning to ask, how the heck can you be a Verstappen fan? The guy is the biggest whiner in F1, along with Horner. Yuck.

Nah. Anyone that goes against Hamilton gets couched as a villian. First it was Alonso. Then Rosberg , then Vettel and now Max. Because Hamilton is so inline with the times politically. Nearly the whole English speaking world is against Max. It's almost impossible to find podcasts and coverage that is pro Max in English media 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33

3 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Nah. Anyone that goes against Hamilton gets couched as a villian. First it was Alonso. Then Rosberg , then Vettel and now Max. Because Hamilton is so inline with the times politically. Nearly the whole English speaking world is against Max. It's almost impossible to find podcasts and coverage that is pro Max in English media 

Nah, it's cause of his personality. I mean, he complained about Lewis not passing him last week, yet it was shown that he break checked. Moves like that are unlikeable. Gonna be a doozy this week! 

K, back to hockey talk :D

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I'll find it later.

Anyway i also did a "who's a worse GM, MacT or Chiarelli?" thread. And the theme of that thread was be careful what you wish for. 

We should hire you since you know better than anyone on who we should hire. 

13 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I just got into F1 this year (Go Lando!) but didn't think of it this way. To me, Hamilton has more of the Tom Brady effect, the evil empire you just love cheering against. He's just so god damn good at racing and made it so boring that I'm cheering for Max to upset him. 

To me, the guy who was trying to build a third Cup team with Crosby and Malkin is in completely different place with the Canucks. So how can we assume he'll act exactly as he did in Pittsburgh?

I know you can say one thing and do another, but he's well aware that the Canucks are in a different place than the Penguins.

"In Pittsburgh we were always a cap team, it was all-in at all times, so we traded a lot of futures away, but that was our philosophy...
...Now it’s a team in a different part of the cycle, we don’t want to trade away futures, we want to build the future,”

And part of his role here is to groom future executives.

So, I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he starts treating the Canucks as if we were the Pens, then yeah, lets revolt.

But right now, all signs point to this organization looking to build for the future.

41 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It’s also an unfair comparison because Gillis teams actually accomplished success at the nhl level unlike any team in the Benning era. 

Agree... however, Gilles succes stopped at the SC finals... 

Bennings team has lots of time on its hand to at least try to emulate it... 

regardless, we'll never know, as mostly happens, the GM assembling the talent, goes before seccess is achieved. 
8 years was enough though, and no complaints about the change, but maybe just maybe if he hadn't been so loyal to Green, he may have had the chance to see the boys achieve some success. Good know FA was very loyal to him and Green. 

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Team can take him to arbitration, but if we do that with Boeser why would he want to stay after it's done (one year at 5-6 makes sense)?   The other option is we sign him long term to a fair deal, and he gets one year at his qualifying offer, the rest more in line with what's he's earned so far, which isn't much more then 6 overall on a term deal.   He's got the rest of the year to turn it around, he should be a 30/30 perrenial player at least ... in fact he should be better then that in his peak prime.    But isn't there yet either.     Miller is going to cost more then we will get back from him but i'd keep him if we could get a team friendly deal in the 7.5 range.  Keeps it up over this season and next, a 16th league wide top scorer with his intangibles is worth 9x 8.   Those are the comps anyways.   Horvat probably 7.5 x 8 given he's a little younger but a valuable player.   You can bet Rutherford could take a glance and figure this stuff out in an instant.     So i won't be surprised either to see at least one of these guys on the block...Thank god we have Garland at least.    The way he plays the rest of the young core should be feeling the pressure to produce, and to not take more then their share of the cap.   You'd hope at least.   So far he's our Mckinnon contract, or even Burrows pre legacy deal.   Nobody on in COL has taken a team friendly deal...Rantanen, Makar...so not holding my breath. 

Well, there will be pressure for sure in Colorado, but maybe that's partly why they haven't been able to make a run either. They have their star players, but haven't been able to build around those star guys. This is why I loved our 2011 team. So many players on that team took discounts so that management could surround them with a better supporting cast (this also takes money). What do you want more of, if I were Rutherford - if you want to get paid, I'll move you to a team/organization that can do that for you, but if you want to remain here as a Canuck and have the opportunity to win a Cup, then you gotta take less. 

There's a lot of factors involved. I think as fans, sometimes we think it's just about money. But it's about uprooting your family and moving elsewhere, and starting over. Starting over is not always something players want - it's unfamiliar, and not just for the players, but for their families as well. Bo, Miller - they're family men. Pettersson and Hughes, still young so not yet. But change simply because of money - I don't see it. I think yes, players want to get paid, absolutely, but I also think they're thinking of their families when they're presented with a change. Uproot and start all over for their wives, and children, or remain and still get paid pretty well, have familiar surroundings with the city, the organization, and their teammates. 

If we can start winning again, I think there's a really good chance that Bo signs long term. 

I think JR and Boudreau will want to attempt to convince Miller to remain. 

I think if one piece of the core is going to be moved, unfortunately, I think it's going to be Brock. Though, I'd love for JR to keep all those guys in the organization, and then build around them like he did for Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, there will be pressure for sure in Colorado, but maybe that's partly why they haven't been able to make a run either. They have their star players, but haven't been able to build around those star guys. This is why I loved our 2011 team. So many players on that team took discounts so that management could surround them with a better supporting cast (this also takes money). What do you want more of, if I were Rutherford - if you want to get paid, I'll move you to a team/organization that can do that for you, but if you want to remain here as a Canuck and have the opportunity to win a Cup, then you gotta take less. 

There's a lot of factors involved. I think as fans, sometimes we think it's just about money. But it's about uprooting your family and moving elsewhere, and starting over. Starting over is not always something players want - it's unfamiliar, and not just for the players, but for their families as well. Bo, Miller - they're family men. Pettersson and Hughes, still young so not yet. But change simply because of money - I don't see it. I think yes, players want to get paid, absolutely, but I also think they're thinking of their families when they're presented with a change. Uproot and start all over for their wives, and children, or remain and still get paid pretty well, have familiar surroundings with the city, the organization, and their teammates. 

If we can start winning again, I think there's a really good chance that Bo signs long term. 

I think JR and Boudreau will want to attempt to convince Miller to remain. 

I think if one piece of the core is going to be moved, unfortunately, I think it's going to be Brock. Though, I'd love for JR to keep all those guys in the organization, and then build around them like he did for Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin. 

You’re 100% right, Brock will be gone. If he’s not it most likely means that we lose Hoglander & Podkolzin in the next year or two.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

You’re 100% right, Brock will be gone. If he’s not it most likely means that we lose Hoglander & Podkolzin in the next year or two.

If Klimovich continues to develop I'm not opposed to moving Hogs for RHD upgrades. But not for long shots, for actual veteran help.

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its easier for guys to make plays on their side, and its also nice to have for PP options.

Ahhh I see. In Jrs I never recalled it being a big deal but 5 of us were righties and we had one lefty on our regular 6. 

I’m not so dead set on either hand... I just want my D being capable of defense and positioning. Myers is atrocious at this. Really zero in on him... he is horrible at positioning and anticipating.  I always figured we had Hughes and OEL for the PP and we could always throw a forward on the point if we need a right handed shot.