The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thread for those who disagree with the Rutherford hire

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

Rutherford was quoted as saying,

" Now it's a team in a different part of the cycle, we don't want to trade away futures we want to build the future".

I THINK THAT IS VERY CLEAR !

Not sure how anyone can twist that comment ?    If he is aggressive it may be more about building for the future then an early playoff run. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I guess assembling the Bonino line was good. Bonino worked good in the Eastern conference. Value for value was it good ? I dunno. When you catch lightning in a bottle and win then all of your mistakes wash away.

That was just never my style and not the way i grew up. I'd prefer GM's like Nonis , Gillis or Benning , who rode the line almost perfectly even though they knew they will eventually get fired. Instead of pushing ALL of their chips in at once. I just don't think it's worth it.

Didn't Gillis do exactly that too though?  He pushed all his chips into the contracts, made them impossible to move, and with all that cap savings, used a first, Grabner etc to acquire Booth and Ballard?  Who later had to be  bought out to afford the next round of contracts and clauses....Plus offered Sundin, almost 40 Sundin, a two year offer at the max 2 x 10 (cap was around 60 then!! lol) with all the cap that Burke tied up and Nonis waited to use but was fired because he wouldn't screw that up with the late great Brad Richards trade?

Gillis did some good things and some very bad things too.   Those bad things wouldn't have mattered IF we won a cup we'd still be loving that now.    I honestly feel that Nonis would have done a better job then Gillis.  By a fair margin.   At the time was excited to get Gillis actually...by the end i felt he should have lost his job a year before, and that we should have fired him and kept AV. 

17 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I'm just scared he'll hire Botterill...the guy who signed Jeff Skinner to the worst contract of all time

I really don't want Botterill either but I don't think the Skinner contract was Botterills doing. I attribute that contract to Former Sabres GM Jack Eichel going straight to owner Pegula and telling him to sign him at all costs because they had great chemistry that one season and Eichel wanted the winger he's never had, same situation as McDavid.

11 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

Basically the poster is trying to say Jim did nothing to be credited for those three Cups, Jim was just lucky to be there for the ride. How clueless is the poster or just a troll. 

there always seems to be a % of the fanbase that complains no matter what. If we ever do win the cup in 7 games someone will complain it should have been done in 6. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Rutherford was quoted as saying,

" Now it's a team in a different part of the cycle, we don't want to trade away futures we want to build the future".

I THINK THAT IS VERY CLEAR !

Not sure how anyone can twist that comment ?    If he is aggressive it may be more about building for the future then an early playoff run. 

I'm willing to be that he's lying and will try and win a cup next year 

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

34 minutes ago, JM_ said:

there always seems to be a % of the fanbase that complains no matter what. If we ever do win the cup in 7 games someone will complain it should have been done in 6. 

Not true. JR is one of the most polarizing GM's in the league. It was like when Trump picked is national security advisor. He had one job. Not picking John Bolton. What did he do ? Picked John Bolton. This is what Aquaman just did 

• Haha 1

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Not true. JR is one of the most polarizing GM's in the league. It was like when Trump picked is national security advisor. He had one job. Not picking John Bolton. What did he do ? Picked John Bolton. This is what Aquaman just did 

you've lost it Max. How about you wait until his press conference next week and see what he says. Oh and who the next GM is as well.

But you're like a beagle on a hamburger over this. so I suspect we'll see more posts like this. 

• Upvote 1

I find Rutherford an interesting hire. I am not leaning one way or the other at the moment on him.

We all have our own opinion as to the state of the team and what it will take to make the team a contender. If Rutherford comes in and does not mortgage the future (no trading picks) then I will be happier. I think some trades need to be made but I think those trades need to be focused on getting back picks and prospects. If Miller, Horvat, Pearson, Myers type players are moved out for high picks and targeted/specific prospects (think D and in particular right D) then I will believe in Rutherford's vision going forward. If he trades away the first with no regard for the future then I will not be supportive of the direction he is taking the team. I believe the team needs to take a step back before taking steps forward. This teams prospect pool is a puddle and there are no players coming that they can count on to out perform their entry level contract. 

At the moment, I believe there is hope. We will know pretty quickly if that hope is buoyed or crushed based on the first couple moves he makes. 

9 minutes ago, drofssalg said:

I find Rutherford an interesting hire. I am not leaning one way or the other at the moment on him.

We all have our own opinion as to the state of the team and what it will take to make the team a contender. If Rutherford comes in and does not mortgage the future (no trading picks) then I will be happier. I think some trades need to be made but I think those trades need to be focused on getting back picks and prospects. If Miller, Horvat, Pearson, Myers type players are moved out for high picks and targeted/specific prospects (think D and in particular right D) then I will believe in Rutherford's vision going forward. If he trades away the first with no regard for the future then I will not be supportive of the direction he is taking the team. I believe the team needs to take a step back before taking steps forward. This teams prospect pool is a puddle and there are no players coming that they can count on to out perform their entry level contract. 

At the moment, I believe there is hope. We will know pretty quickly if that hope is buoyed or crushed based on the first couple moves he makes. 

By some reports , we have the a top 10 prospect pool in the league. And Pittsburgh is dead last by a long margin. Pitt had one 1st round pick in 7 years.

I'm not sure where ppl get the idea that our prospect pool is bare. It could be getting that way soon but it isn't now 

Max man. I don’t think this is good for ya.

It’s like anxiety. Ya keep thinking something bad is gonna happen but it never does yet your mind suffers from the constant thinking of impending doom.

You can’t predict the future and nor can I.

Feel free to go off the deep end if they actually make a player move you don’t like. I may join you lol but until then she’s all good.

Common sense will prevail. Common sense Is that this team needs to be assessed. And I’m not talking a couple days. I’m talking the rest of the year. As long as BBQ Bruce or whatever they calling him lol keeps this team rolling the rest will follow.

There is nothing to sweat about in the time being. Metal health is important here 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

By some reports , we have the a top 10 prospect pool in the league. And Pittsburgh is dead last by a long margin. Pitt had one 1st round pick in 7 years.

I'm not sure where ppl get the idea that our prospect pool is bare. It could be getting that way soon but it isn't now 

That link earlier in the thread was from a couple years back. DiPietro, Rathbone and maybe Lockwood seem to be the extent of higher end prospects. They just lost Gadjovich, MacEwen and Lind. The AHL Canucks are a bad team. Sure there are some that could come out of nowhere (players not signed yet) which would be fantastic but as of right now I do not see any difference makers on their way. The Hockey Writers have the Canucks prospect pool ranked at 20th in September 2021. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Had....

All our top end prospects graduated. Look at our ahl team and tell me who our top prospects are?

Pittsburgh won back to back cups, of course their cupboards are bare

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

His moves were very Benning style. We won't need drafting or player development anymore because we won't have any picks or prospects for 3 years +. He'll trade 2023 and 2024 picks this year. And 2026/7 picks in year 3. And we might have one playoff round to show for it. Just like Toronto under JFJ.

When you have prime generational talent like Crosby and Malkin on your roster, you have the luxury of doing these all in moves. 

I wouldn't start projecting the context he worked with in Pittsburgh on Vancouver just yet. He's still gotta evaluate our roster. And more importantly, hire a GM who makes those moves rather than him.

Benning basically got JFJ'ed by ownership because he had no insulation. I don't see Rutherford as someone FA can push around that easily without firing him.

Edited by DSVII
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Lol top 10 prospect pool in the league? According to who?

Name our top 10 prospects.

26 minutes ago, drofssalg said:

That link earlier in the thread was from a couple years back. DiPietro, Rathbone and maybe Lockwood seem to be the extent of higher end prospects. They just lost Gadjovich, MacEwen and Lind. The AHL Canucks are a bad team. Sure there are some that could come out of nowhere (players not signed yet) which would be fantastic but as of right now I do not see any difference makers on their way. The Hockey Writers have the Canucks prospect pool ranked at 20th in September 2021. 

And it’s gotten even worse since then