The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Acquiring a RHD, Cap and Jimmy Rutherford (Discussion/Proposal)

What is the scouting report on John Marino? Rutherford gave him a lengthy contract in Pitts, was a late round pick of the Coilers originally. Fairly young but longer term deal, is he worth 2m per year more than what Poolman brings currently?

I wonder if we have interest in Kasperi Kapanen, fast and great PK player who will be an rfa with arb rights after this year so who knows what kind of new cap hit he will require?

I always liked Severson back when I watched him with the Kelowna Rockets, is a 1 for 1 deal for BB6 fair enough for both fan bases? If we deal BB6, Garland is our lone top 6rw left...I know we use Hoglander on the right side but adding another right shot like Kapanen would be nice if we were to deal Boeser. I don't want Boeser moved, but if he doesn't turn his season around in a big way production wise he would be screwing the team over if he just wanted to take his 7.5m qualifying offer and not sign a more reasonable deal.

Unless a team knocks our socks off with a trade you can't refuse you don't trade JT Miller this year. I am talking young right shot C and right shot D coming back. Then talk to him at the start of FA and see what he wants for term and $$$ before moving on from him, which we MUST do if he isn't signing an extension imo.

Murphy from Chicago would be a nice add, but he just signed an extension so would have to overpay to get him? that was the old GM tho and looks like Chicago might be doing a rebuild or retool sooner as this season hasn't gone well so far.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I like your creativity Jan and maybe there is something along these lines that can get done. I want our new management team to assess our core over the next few months and determine if the pieces are there to move us to a cup contender. If the pieces aren't there then I am fine with management making the necessary changes to take us to the next level.

I do not see Arizona taking Motte on as a rental for this season as he will be UFA at the end of this season and I doubt he would re-sign with the Coyotes. Your proposal would leave Arizona with nothing but an added cap hit of $1.3M for next season if he signs elsewhere. I really doubt adding a 4th would be sufficient to get their interest and would suggest a 2nd would be the minimum they would accept.

To address the specifics above I want to start by noting the contract value for Miller is only good for this year and next. In my mind, this means only teams that see themselves as strong cup contenders this year or next are going to give up the type of assets you are looking for in return. That would eliminate Chicago, New Jersey, Ottawa and perhaps even the Islanders based on play this season. I have mixed feelings about whether the Rangers see themselves as true contenders yet or not but for purposes of this discussion I will assume they do. 

I believe your targeted assets in your proposal leads to a preference to deal with the Rangers but it is going to be more expensive than you think as I noted above. Are you prepared to offer up something like a Woo and a 3rd or 4th?

Lastly, when do you see the Miller trade improving the team and taking them to the next level? I believe our core, particularly Bo, want to see immediate improvement or he is likely to walk at UFA. A 3 or 4 year wait is likely not going to be acceptable to any of the core but they will all be under contact in any event. I really worry about Bo though as I believe he will only re-sign if he sees a cup contender in the very near future.

I agree with your thoughts Rick

IMO, when I make a proposal, I am looking for observation and input....................and adjustments as needed. The whole idea with me is to get people involved and thinking, as I really do think the collective is better than one, in these processes.

The teams I included in the proposal are only to illustrate the frame work, as I honestly have no idea what team really would like to do something like this.

Every year at the TDL, teams make trades that I did not see coming , and the cost sometimes is high and sometime low............and sometimes with no rationale

I agree, about Horvat to a point, as with others, but there are only so many jobs in the NHL and so much Cap, but I am sure someone would take him in a heart beat.

So yes, we need to show our desire to compete.......the question is what are the moves to do that?

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Although three way deals are probably more complicated then your proposal, I'm all for getting Braden Schneider.

But, I'm wondering if Brock Boeser makes more sense for them.

They are pretty heavy on the left side but fairly thin on the right.

Luckily, Miller is a french army knife, and plays all 3 forward positions

I do not think Brock would pull in the same amount of value, but it could be him?

In my opinion, if we're trading Miller it has to be for a big, young, proven RHD that defensively complements Hughes and is signed long term to a reasonable contract.

You don't give away a player of Miller's ilk for a "possible" impact player.

The only player I can think of that fits that bill is Carlo. I think Boston might consider it if we added Hamonic + Schenn to help replace Carlo's role in their team and took back some cap to even things up. But realistically I don't think BOS pulls the trigger.

That's ok, I am perfectly willing to keep Miller and pay him what he is worth in a couple of years.

I wouldn't trade Miller for Dobson (not proven and more of an offensive Dman - likely not a complementary piece to Hughes). Severson is 27, cannot defend and is UFA in 2023. Schneider is unproven. Most other options are either "untouchable" (Cernak, Parayko) or not signed long term and will cost you close to $7m anyway.

Is it possible to just trade away cap space but keep the player?

Like trade Rathbone + Myers $3M cap space + 3rd to Ari for a 3rd.

So Canucks keep Myers at a $3M cap hit and Ari 3rd.

Trying to think outside the box.  Maybe need a 3rd team to make it work?

13 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

In my opinion, if we're trading Miller it has to be for a big, young, proven RHD that defensively complements Hughes and is signed long term to a reasonable contract.

The only player I can think of that fits that bill is Carlo. I think Boston might consider it if we added Hamonic + Schenn to help replace Carlo's role in their team and took back some cap to even things up. But realistically I don't think BOS pulls the trigger.

That's ok, I am perfectly willing to keep Miller and pay him what he is worth in a couple of years.

I wouldn't trade Miller for Dobson (not proven and more of an offensive Dman - likely not a complementary piece to Hughes). Severson is 27, cannot defend and is UFA in 2023. Schneider is unproven. Most other options are either "untouchable" (Cernak, Parayko) or not signed long term and will cost you close to $7m anyway.

Totally agreed.  You simply can't move Miller while his value is at basically an all time high and acquire prospects.  You move him if you can get an immediate impact player in a different role that has a cap hit that is sustainable long term.  Miller is the kinda player you win Cups with.  Plays with an edge, can play any forward position up and down the lineup, kills penalties, plays on PP, etc. 

I'd sooner move Boeser than Miller, simply because Miller has way utility on this team.  If Boeser is not scoring, he doesn't bring a whole lot of anything else.

13 hours ago, BPA said:

Is it possible to just trade away cap space but keep the player?

Like trade Rathbone + Myers $3M cap space + 3rd to Ari for a 3rd.

So Canucks keep Myers at a $3M cap hit and Ari 3rd.

Trying to think outside the box.  Maybe need a 3rd team to make it work?

Not allowed per the CBA.   Technically Myers would have to be traded in full to Arizona - can't trade parts of a contract away without sending the player over too.  Only a year later could he be traded back in a retained salary transaction.  They can trade back for him at full cap hit earlier but not with retention.

Edited by mll

On 12/11/2021 at 9:04 AM, JM_ said:

Hey J - Rutherford told the Province that he's looking to add futures to the club, not move any out. So based on that, I'd assume Brock is staying put since he's still relatively young and under team control. 

Bo is just too useful, the C, and also still just 27. I guess its conceivable he's moved but that seems like a last resort thing to me. My. guess is they work hard on an extension for him.

So that leaves Mr. Miller. I have no doubt we can get a 20-32 pick and a mid-round for him and basically recover what we coughed up for him. But to me thats selling low, he's shown he's better now than when Tampa moved him.

It seems to always swing back to Dobson for me. Can we put the two oldest GMs together and see what shakes out? Is Miller worth Dobson?

___

I guess the other possibility is, and I hate to say it, move Petey?

grumpy old men oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

first thought I had…..

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Carlo + Lysell would be a great pick up. 

Honestly, I don't feel we need to make a move at this point. It's clear the team's going to try to make the playoffs, but even if that don't I don't think the pressure's there anymore as so many people had us written us off not even a week or 2 ago.

I say let's see who on the team becomes integral to the team's success long term and who ends up on the outside and at that point act accordingly. I know it's probably the most boring proposal possible, but sometimes you have to ride things out.

Scott Mayfield would be a nice pickup from the Islanders good big body right hand shot veteran on a cheap contract and short term capable of being a stay at home guy and logging big minutes as well.

Also steps up his physical play in the playoffs. Rutherford knows all about him from his time as Penguins GM going up against the Isles.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spit balling here, 

But what ufa defenseman would be good targets. ie trade for their rights or wait and make an offer? 

Kris Letang    6'  201    R    $7,2m
Giordano    6' 1"    200    L    $6,7m
Boychuk 6' 2"    227    R    $6,m
Stralman 5' 11"    186    R    $5,5m
Nick Leddy    6' 0"    205    L    $5,5m
Risto   6' 4"    220    R    $5,4m
Hampus Lind     6' 3"    208    L    $5,2m
Goligoski        5' 11"    185    L    $5,m
DeKeyser    6' 3"    190    L    $5,m
de Haan    6' 1"    195    L    $4,5m
Klingberg       6' 2"    180    R    $4,25m
Manson    6' 3"    224    R    $4,1m