The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] December 12, 2021 Carolina Hurricanes (19-6-1) @ Vancouver Canucks (11-15-2) at 7:00 pm on SportsNet

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

Just now, Canucklehead53 said:

Whether we like it or not, the biggest issue for us prior to BB was special teams. Had we had even average special teams under green we would be competing for a ticket to the dance already. 

The guys; however, are playing with a lot more confidence and enegery under BB which is huge. 

I beg to differ. I think short term you're right, but there were so many fundamentally flawed issues with this team that whether or not their execution was good or bad, they'd still lose majority of their games just with the style that they played. 

But I definitely see your point. I just don't think that if our special teams improved that we'd be competitive. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

You know what advanced stats are not really advanced stats?

Goals For/ Against.

Teams that have more goals for, tend to win.

Basic.

Simple.

But factual. 

5 on 5 GF/GA is just +/- which always makes me chuckle. 

I know there’s more out there in the different “models” but the most telling stat will always be wins/losses.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Decent presentation Drancer.

Informative.

Informative on how you can throw out a bunch of stats anyone can find online and clumsily use them to try and come to the conclusion the team is only playing a little better.

You can tell he’s a nerd that tried to analyze the game in a more “intelligent” way than the average fan. Still equals bad take after bad take.

22 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Green has had different chances with different rosters. He's had a lot of latitude to implement 'his players'. Unfortunately, we don't see any significant boosts in performance with those players, mostly because Green has a very static/stubborn way of running his bench. Then add to the fact that this season is Green's most talented roster by far, we can see Green doesn't know how to adapt to the people around him, including Shaw. Green could honestly have Crosby and the team would still be at the bottom of the standings, just like our current one.

Green was awful, and anyone who still says he's good is ignoring the numbers from over the years, as well as the product in front of us.

Absolutely agree 1000%. Green and his systems were pathetic. The more the team bought into them the worse the team performed. It always floored me when fans on CDC would say things like our players have no talent when it's been proven time and again that if uou have a well coached team with good systems you can essentially plug any pro-player  in the line up and they'll do okay. The opposite, like you say, is also true. Give Green the 1985 Oilers and they'd be basement dwellers accused of being talentless bums playing Greens system.