The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | Dec. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I hate the shoot-out.   3 x 3 OT is good enough, 5 minutes.   One point in this league, shouldn't be given out resulting in a skills competition.   Games should only have two points.   If they want to keep it, give the shoot-out winner 1.1 points and the losing team .9 points.   Just ridiculous.   Goalies stats ballooned...making 300 games won a joke when it used to be an amazing career, and 400 bar (incredible achievement) way too easy.  Lundqvist got an extra 80 plus w's as a result.   And Luongo and probabyl MAF would never get close to 500 without it too (Luongo wasn't great at it but still won 45 or so of them Simply ridiculous).

Worse then that is what teams make the playoffs.   Sure they have "tie breakers", but every year a few teams that didn't really earn it, make it in and others that really did earn it don't.    It's a silly gimmick.   3 x 3 OT decides enough games.   Can stomach the "loser point" with that.    And yes i know Demko is a stud at this and our current team would suffer some.    

It's already screwed with close to 20 years of hockey stats.   Time to abolish it. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I hate the shoot-out.   3 x 3 OT is good enough, 5 minutes.   One point in this league, shouldn't be given out resulting in a skills competition.   Games should only have two points.   If they want to keep it, give the shoot-out winner 1.1 points and the losing team .9 points.   Just ridiculous.   Goalies stats ballooned...making 300 games won a joke when it used to be an amazing career, and 400 bar (incredible achievement) way too easy.  Lundqvist got an extra 80 plus w's as a result.   And Luongo and probabyl MAF would never get close to 500 without it too (Luongo wasn't great at it but still won 45 or so of them Simply ridiculous).

Worse then that is what teams make the playoffs.   Sure they have "tie breakers", but every year a few teams that didn't really earn it, make it in and others that really did earn it don't.    It's a silly gimmick.   3 x 3 OT decides enough games.   Can stomach the "loser point" with that.    And yes i know Demko is a stud at this and our current team would suffer some.    

It's already screwed with close to 20 years of hockey stats.   Time to abolish it. 

I’ve gotten over loser points and shootouts and all that.

What drives me crazy is our understanding of winning percentage that is still based on pre-lockout wins, losses and ties.

At that point a team at 15-15-3 was legitimately a .500 team.

Now a team that loses every game in a season, but only does so in OT is a .500 team with their 0-0-82 record.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

I’ve gotten over loser points and shootouts and all that.

What drives me crazy is our understanding of winning percentage that is still based on pre-lockout wins, losses and ties.

At that point a team at 15-15-3 was legitimately a .500 team.

Now a team that loses every game in a season, but only does so in OT is a .500 team with their 0-0-82 record.

Lol no doubt.  It still bugs me.   It happened for a reason which i also got, teams in the dead puck era did change their strategy later in the game and go for the tie or guaranteed point.   Thing is, and a lot has been observed correctly and written about it post lock-out, the same thing happens now because team know they get a loser point - it solved nothing.   Might as well just have ties. And scrap OT for that matter.   That said i do love 3 x 3 OT .... but despise the shoot-out.   

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

In all honesty, this was the first game where I starting having doubts.. looked very sluggish and sad to watch. 

I'll give them a pass because its a back to back but man I got dejavu with TG's Canucks tonight. 

Seriously???? Yeah they weren't at their best but do you honestly think Green's Canucks would have salvaged a point from that game and had a chance for 2. Was that a splash I heard as you jumped over the railing?

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

OEL is worth his contract.  I can name quite a few d-men making more then 7 mil/year who aren't better then OEL.  

Elias is definitely struggling, but Danault has been named as the best defensive forward by a lot of players so it's not really a coincidence that Elias looked bad tonight.  

OEL is fine.  I like him.  I used him as an example because tons of people cry about his contract.  

Im not concerned who EP is playing against.  
That’s just another excuse, and kinda saying “if he wasn’t matched up against Danault, he would have been fine”.  Which we all know is BS.  
He could be matched against Jake Virtanen and still get shut down.  
He has been a disappointment in about 98% of the games this year.  
He sucks, and he knows it.  

I really don’t know what needs to be done to fix him, but it doesn’t look like much is going to do it. 

Classic Canuck luck.   
We finally get a franchise center, and somehow he turns to mush. 
That 7.5 mill is going to be a huge burden if he doesn’t magically return next year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t think he’ll be traded if his play is poor. That’s the very definition of selling low. If you do that, you’re going to get a low return. That’s just a recipe for a bad trade. But I hear ya. I want Petey to get back to his old self. But I also remember when Horvat had like a goalless streak of like 20 games or something. It felt like he was never going to score again. I think that was in his rookie year. 

Halak is decent. I wish he would get more support from the rest of the team. He wasn’t the problem tonight against LA. 

This isn’t like a bad goalless drought though.  
This is an effort and confidence drought.  

He is playing frustrated.  Tries to make a play, it doesn’t work, gets more frustrated.  
Game over.  

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

How can you call Chiasson a waste of valuable cap space lol 

The guy's making less then the amount that you can bury in the minors. 

These people don't know sh!t about hockey that's why. They can't understand why we didn't sign Draisaitl instead ... he's so much better. Dumb Benning. :frantic:

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

OEL is fine.  I like him.  I used him as an example because tons of people cry about his contract.  

Im not concerned who EP is playing against.  
That’s just another excuse, and kinda saying “if he wasn’t matched up against Danault, he would have been fine”.  Which we all know is BS.  
He could be matched against Jake Virtanen and still get shut down.  
He has been a disappointment in about 98% of the games this year.  
He sucks, and he knows it.  

I really don’t know what needs to be done to fix him, but it doesn’t look like much is going to do it. 

Classic Canuck luck.   
We finally get a franchise center, and somehow he turns to mush. 
That 7.5 mill is going to be a huge burden if he doesn’t magically return next year. 

Yup.  OEL is an excellent player, and on a good contract.  We have him from age 29 to 35.  Those are top years for D men.

Petey looks heavier than before to my (too often bloodshot from drink) eyes.  I’d be curious to know his exact weight, and if he indeed is a few pounds above where he was previously?  He’s like a finely tuned instrument.  Off just a bit and it sounds crappy.  He’s off just a bit.  His gifts haven’t disappeared though.  He’s still got that greatness in him.  It will show through.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

No one is arguing that Pettie is not himself, but the if you can not focus on the good, you should not be talking about the bad.

I just couldn’t disagree more.  
This is a results based game, and he has had almost nothing but poor results. 
If he was being a defensive monster while not scoring, sure.   But nope.  Doesn’t even look like he is trying. 

Do you have any idea who was checking him tonight? 

completely irrelevant. He makes 7.35 million a season to be our best player and produce.  
It is not ok to get shut down by the LA Kings, regardless of who is covering him. 

This was a one goal game and you focus on Pettersson.........that sounds like trolling to me

It sounds more like you are ignoring all the games that add up to this one.  

Did he play like a top 6 forward tonight..you bet your a$$ he did.

No he didn’t.   One ok pass doesn’t make a top 6 games. 

Did he play as Hoglander, Podkolzin, Pearson, yes he did, he actually played better

I guess if you can't see that, well I can't help you.........sorry man!

Don’t try to help us.  Maybe take the rose coloured glasses off and see what help Petey needs instead. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Lol no doubt.  It still bugs me.   It happened for a reason which i also got, teams in the dead puck era did change their strategy later in the game and go for the tie or guaranteed point.   Thing is, and a lot has been observed correctly and written about it post lock-out, the same thing happens now because team know they get a loser point - it solved nothing.   Might as well just have ties. And scrap OT for that matter.   That said i do love 3 x 3 OT .... but despise the shoot-out.   

3 points to the winner or 1 point each… Everyone wants to win if so. 

• Vintage 1

I wonder why the entire Kings line attacked Podkolzin at the break. The rookie was left on his own to fend off 5 players, until Myers decided to join in and help him out. 

So, I think the Canucks should trade Petey. I know there's not really a connection with the Podkolzin incident, but Petey really isn't that good (very overrated) and the Canucks might get some other team to give us a top Dman in return. 

• Wat 3