The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

Halak is playing like an employee in his final two weeks after giving his notice. 

When Martin came up and outplayed him with the bonus not yet paid I thought for sure we would keep Martin up and just leave Halak sitting as potential insurance or a trade piece at 9 games played. Since then he has let in 12 goals on 37 shots :o

38 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I could be wrong here, but bonuses are paid at the end of the season so wouldn’t the team whose roster he’s on at the end of the season be hit with the bonus? Even if he played 10 games as a Canuck, if he were to be traded it would be the team who acquired him that would take on the cap hit from the bonus. 

I believe performance bonus are paid as they are reached except for the ones like save % +/- etc etc those are paid after season is done if reached

18 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Halak is playing like an employee in his final two weeks after giving his notice. 

When Martin came up and outplayed him with the bonus not yet paid I thought for sure we would keep Martin up and just leave Halak sitting as potential insurance or a trade piece at 9 games played. Since then he has let in 12 goals on 37 shots :o

I wouldn't be surprised he will probably play the Buffalo game and the fans will boo him if he's average and he won't waive his nmc to stick it to Vancouver

49 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

100%. ..  and probably “tweeked” for a deep run to benefit the entire team with the experience .

Which I think should still be the status quo.

Sign Motte before UFA..

And deal with the Boeser situation (RFA 7m+ QOffer?) asap

This summer will make us even stronger without having to move major assets, only those that have become weak or stale to us.

I hope Miller states he wants to stay,.  He is the biggest building block to build around other than Demko.

others will be worth trading away, without losing his style of leadership.

no one else on the team has it, or are going to “get it” if they haven’t by now.

A lot of the teams identity and direction does depend on JT. Trade deadline, extension talks this off season could go either way. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Halak could still be a tradeable asset at deadline.

There's still time and entirely dependent on who else is available and for what.

Holtby's play has been decent.

Could just be a personality thing in Vancouver's room. It happens.

But i think Halak, as an attempted castoff, is actually a viable and very cheap option for some contender.

Depth, character playoff goalie for dirt cheap who still wants to play (just obviosuly not as well in a Nux jersey).

Edited by RWJC

With Poolman on LTIR hopefully we can pay the bonus this year. Halak played himself into one bonus but is destroying the save % one all in the same motion. I think a good strategy going forward is play Demko in all the games we should easily get 2 points and secure those points. Play Halak vs the teams you think you’re going to lose to anyways.

1 minute ago, KyGuy123 said:

With Poolman on LTIR hopefully we can pay the bonus this year. Halak played himself into one bonus but is destroying the save % one all in the same motion. I think a good strategy going forward is play Demko in all the games we should easily get 2 points and secure those points. Play Halak vs the teams you think you’re going to lose to anyways.

That's one of the problems Bruce says needs to desperately be alleviated though, and totally what i see too...expecting a failure and playing tentatively until it inevitably occurs.

They already look at 60mins that way, don't need to stretch that out to the calendar too.

2 hours ago, Me_ said:

Yeah yeah Stanley Cup or crap. Got it.

Oh!  You were serious!   Hahahahha

Very good teams don’t get blown up by the Devils.  
Very good teams don’t rely on their goalie to win them every game.  
Very good teams don’t clean out their entire front office and coaching staff mid season. 
Very good teams are right up against the cap and miss the playoffs every singe year.   

I could go on if you like…….

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

trade? I'd be happy with waivers. Edmonton would find a way to make space. 

I agree. I think we discussed a possbile scenario where JR finds a suitor for Halak on waivers, Halak for free. Once the suitor is found, and Halak agrees and waives his NMC, off he goes. It just isn't working for either parties and it's time move on. It's best for everyone involved.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I agree. I think we discussed a possbile scenario where JR finds a suitor for Halak on waivers, Halak for free. Once the suitor is found, and Halak agrees and waives his NMC, off he goes. It just isn't working for either parties and it's time move on. It's best for everyone involved.

I doubt that will work. Anyone with a priority pick over the suitor could claim him so Halak isn't going to waive his NMC with that uncertainty.

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I doubt that will work. Anyone with a priority pick over the suitor could claim him so Halak isn't going to waive his NMC with that uncertainty.

he can pull a Spezza and say he'll just retire.