The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

7 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Says the person who wears a speedo and calls himself Thundernuts :lol:

Kidding aside, thank you for reminding me of one of the all time best cameos in a movie!

Speedo… nope. No one wants to see that.  

I assume you’re referring to Hulk Hogan as Thunderlips?

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Why the &^@# does a back up goaltender have a full NMC?? 

:picard:

We had a horrible GM, I mean we bought out Holtby after seeing Demko could handle being a #1 then instead of getting a cheap back up G or having some competition at camp we over pay an aging vet G again with a NMC and incentives of 1.5m in bonuses that could get deferred to next seasons cap...was just an all around $&!# show with the old regime here.  

EDM

Halak

VAN

3rd ‘22

Why such a high pick from Edmonton you may ask?

Two reasons.

1. An Edmonton 3rd is like another team’s 2nd.

2. It’s Edmonton.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/4/2022 at 12:44 PM, Canuckster86 said:

We had a horrible GM, I mean we bought out Holtby after seeing Demko could handle being a #1 then instead of getting a cheap back up G or having some competition at camp we over pay an aging vet G again with a NMC and incentives of 1.5m in bonuses that could get deferred to next seasons cap...was just an all around $&!# show with the old regime here.  

We didn’t have a horrible GM. Look at the team we have under a new coach.

This argument is asinine.

We signed Holtby as protection against absolute failure in case Demko failed miserably.

But then, DEMKO.

Halak came in as best backup available and in his defense, used to be a pretty good 1G. But I agree, the Canucks paid a premium by NMC-ing him.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/4/2022 at 9:44 AM, Canuckster86 said:

It’s true. Benning sucked ass when it came to managing this team. 

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

We didn’t have a horrible GM. Look at the team we have under a new coach.

This argument is asinine.

We signed Holtby as protection against absolute failure in case Demko failed miserably.

But then, DEMKO.

Halak came in as best backup available and in his defense, used to be a pretty good 1G. But I agree, the Canucks paid a premium by NMC-ing him.

But why did Benning feel the need to have given a NMC to a back up tender?

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

EDM

Halak

VAN

3rd ‘22

Two reasons.

2. It’s Edmonton.

Trade within the division? Make a 2nd. 

Or Edmonton continues to suffer.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

But why did Benning feel the need to have given a NMC to a back up tender?

I think what you have to look at here is Halak's history. This is his 1st season being below 0.900 since 2012-13 where he had a 0.899. There is also only 1 season in his history before this season where is doesn't have a winning record. He's actually historically been a pretty consistent and solid backup. Arguably one of the best bang for you money backups possible. So when you want to entice someone like that, an NMC isn't really out of the question for a backup given his rather consistent history.

This season we're seeing now I doubt anyone could have foreseen. You have to take that into account with all of this. It's easy to wonder why he has an NMC now, but less so when he was actually signed. It looked like it would be a good signing. A solid backup for Demko. It's just unfortunate how things have turned out.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think what you have to look at here is Halak's history. This is his 1st season being below 0.900 since 2012-13 where he had a 0.899. There is also only 1 season in his history before this season where is doesn't have a winning record. He's actually historically been a pretty consistent and solid backup. Arguably one of the best bang for you money backups possible. So when you want to entice someone like that, an NMC isn't really out of the question for a backup given his rather consistent history.

This season we're seeing now I doubt anyone could have foreseen. You have to take that into account with all of this. It's easy to wonder why he has an NMC now, but less so when he was actually signed. It looked like it would be a good signing. A solid backup for Demko. It's just unfortunate how things have turned out.

Seems to be the case for almost every player that has come through Canuck doors. 

I think Benning still could have gotten Halak without a NMC clause. 

It is what it is I guess. But he’s hard to move because of that clause. 

And &^@#, I would not want to help Edmonton by sending him there, unless we’re getting a 2nd in return. Make it hurt for the Oil.

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Seems to be the case for almost every player that has come through Canuck doors. 

I think Benning still could have gotten Halak without a NMC clause. 

It is what it is I guess. But he’s hard to move because of that clause. 

And &^@#, I would not want to help Edmonton by sending him there, unless we’re getting a 2nd in return. Make it hurt for the Oil.

I guess I have a couple of questions in regards to this:

1) Are we really that hurting if we don't move him? I mean it's not like we play him lots

2) Do we really care about the value we'd get back if we do entice him to go pretty much anywhere?

3) Does the NMC really hurt us that much in the end in this case?

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I guess I have a couple of questions in regards to this:

1) Are we really that hurting if we don't move him? I mean it's not like we play him lots

2) Do we really care about the value we'd get back if we do entice him to go pretty much anywhere?

3) Does the NMC really hurt us that much in the end in this case?

1. I think for a team that is up against the cap, every little bit counts. 

2. I think it's important to always get value, look at Benning for not getting the most out of deals, it's really haunted us, even now. 

3. Depends. If we're willing to keep him, then I guess not? It wouldn't matter at that point right?

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

1. I think for a team that is up against the cap, every little bit counts. 

2. I think it's important to always get value, look at Benning for not getting the most out of deals, it's really haunted us, even now. 

3. Depends. If we're willing to keep him, then I guess not? It wouldn't matter at that point right?

Can't demote him to the AHL because of his NMC - makes it more challenging to bring up Martin to evaluate whether he could be a reasonable backup option for next season.

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

EDM

Halak

VAN

3rd ‘22

Two reasons.

2. It’s Edmonton.

Why would Edmonton want Halak? As flimsy as their goaltending is adding Halak isn't going to improve it. Plus this also means Canucks will be getting either Smith or Koskinen back which doesn't help the Canucks cap situation

45 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Why would Edmonton want Halak? As flimsy as their goaltending is adding Halak isn't going to improve it. Plus this also means Canucks will be getting either Smith or Koskinen back which doesn't help the Canucks cap situation

we don't any of those goaltenders. just get a high pick back (a 2nd would be ideal). 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I was suspicious of this signing considering how bad we are defensively and how Halak has been sheltered for most of his career by good teams. I thought the same of Holtby who really got shelled and is doing much better with Dallas.

Demko's at the point now where he doesn't need a veteran or mentor. We could easily take a young backup. I'd be happy with Martin taking 20 games easily.

How do we move Halak's bulky contract? Hopefully someone needs him and is willing to give him a second chance, but it'll be a hard sell.