The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buy Low Candidates?

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Other than we don't need another left D, I'd love Provorov. Maybe with Hughes on the right...

I think there's better moves, that fit our needs better... But we could do a lot worse.

He’d be great for Podkolzin as well. Having another Russian. LHD isn’t a priority but if we could unload OEL somehow it would be an upgrade.

3 hours ago, mll said:

Crouse isn't a buy low candidate - Arizona are in a full tear down and looking for draft picks.  Zacha probably wouldn't be cheap either given his role. 

Nashville still thinks that Glass can be a good player and have sent him to the AHL to develop.  They are playing someone like McCarron in the NHL to give him that time in the AHL.  Don't see them ready to move him just yet.  RD Philippe Myers could be a buy low candidate out of Nashville though.

Rutherford thought Kessel was a distraction - don't see them re-uniting.

Agree with the P Myers comment. I think he could be had as part of a bigger deal, e.g. Boeser in exchange for Jeannot + Myers + 2nd round pick

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Agree with the P Myers comment. I think he could be had as part of a bigger deal, e.g. Boeser in exchange for Jeannot + Myers + 2nd round pick

There's really no chance that Nashville trades Jeannot - he's one of the players they are building around.  They even protected him in expansion when they had only 3 forward spots.

Not sure Nashville will be trading picks either.  Poile announced that they were in a competitive rebuild this summer - he now calls it a transition to get younger.  They traded Arvidsson for 2x 2nd round picks as part of that transition.  He wants to build up the farm system and start giving more opportunity to their young players.  

Not sure Boeser has much trade value with a 7.5M qualifying offer.  Regardless, don't really see Nashville being interested in him at that cost.  Poile also once said that the most important skill in his mind is speed.

Edited by mll

5 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Not a fan of either of those two bustaroo bonsai McSoftys.  

We keep Boeser if the return is craperolla.  

20 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Phil Myers was in the doghouse earlier in the year in Nashvile wasn't he? Wonder how much he is playing now...could we get him in a deal involving Poolman or Hamonic when healthy?

Can't seem to get in the lineup.  Don't see Nashville being interested in Poolman or Hamonic.  

A Myers buyout gives them additional cap space because of how his contract is structured so don't really see why they would take cap back when a buyout is more advantageous for next season.  Poile has often gone the buyout route too.

Edited by mll

5 hours ago, mll said:

There's really no chance that Nashville trades Jeannot - he's one of the players they are building around.  They even protected him in expansion when they had only 3 forward spots.

Not sure Nashville will be trading picks either.  Poile announced that they were in a competitive rebuild this summer - he now calls it a transition to get younger.  They traded Arvidsson for 2x 2nd round picks as part of that transition.  He wants to build up the farm system and start giving more opportunity to their young players.  

Not sure Boeser has much trade value with a 7.5M qualifying offer.  Regardless, don't really see Nashville being interested in him at that cost.  Poile also once said that the most important skill in his mind is speed.

speed without skill = Emerson Etem. I'm sure Poile is looking for skilled players too.

I don't think Brock's QO is as big a barrier as many seem to think, or that him signing a long term deal for less than is QO is somehow out of the question. 

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

speed without skill = Emerson Etem. I'm sure Poile is looking for skilled players too.

I don't think Brick's QO is as big a barrier as many seem to think, or that him signing a long term deal for less than is QO is somehow out of the question. 

He sees skating speed as an important aspect of a player's skill set - a player can be skilled and skate fast.  

Think it is for a team trading for him.  They have no guarantee they can reach an agreement unless an extension is agreed before the trade.

Edited by mll

Just now, mll said:

He sees skating speed as an important aspect of a player's attributes - a player can be skilled and skate fast.  

Think it is for a team trading for him.  They have no guarantee they can reach an agreement unless an extension is agreed before the trade.

But there's so much communication now with agents that any team trading for hm would know if there's real interest in him signing long term. I doubt a trade happens without that kind of communication ahead of time, which is why I don't think its an issue.

Signing for less than his QO is inevitable too imo. Sure he can take it for 1 year and make 7.5 and go to UFA. But his chances of getting a 7 or 8 year deal also go down since he's a year older and maybe doesn't have. career year prior. There's a lot of incentive for him to sign a 7 or 8 year deal with us in the mid-6's. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

He sees skating speed as an important aspect of a player's skill set - a player can be skilled and skate fast.  

Boeser is an RFA guy.

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

But there's so much communication now with agents that any team trading for hm would know if there's real interest in him signing long term. I doubt a trade happens without that kind of communication ahead of time, which is why I don't think its an issue.

Signing for less than his QO is inevitable too imo. Sure he can take it for 1 year and make 7.5 and go to UFA. But his chances of getting a 7 or 8 year deal also go down since he's a year older and maybe doesn't have. career year prior. There's a lot of incentive for him to sign a 7 or 8 year deal with us in the mid-6's. 

That's an option too - he agrees on an extension before the trade.  

Don't see Nashville being interested though and certainly not at the cost of Jeannot who they think is just getting started - he's also still a rookie.  

Just now, mll said:

That's an option too - he agrees on an extension before the trade.  

Don't see Nashville being interested though and certainly not at the cost of Jeannot who they think is just getting started - he's also still a rookie.  

yea I don't see that deal either. For me, I'd prefer to keep Brock if he's agree to something like 6.5 aav over 7 years. Something in that range. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can sign an RFA to any deal.  QO is only one option.  

Once he is qualified he can sign his QO - Laine did.  He didn't have the best of seasons so instead of negotiating a deal he just signed his 1-year qualifying offer.

The only way to by-pass the qualifying process is to agree on a deal beforehand or take him to arbitration or Boeser letting the q.o. lapse.  Team elected arbitration buys some time to negotiate a contract but if they go through the process he can decide if he wants a 1-year or a 2-year deal and the award can't be less than 85% of his last salary or 6.375M.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't think Brock's QO is as big a barrier as many seem to think, or that him signing a long term deal for less than is QO is somehow out of the question. 

Even if he signs for less than his QO, he's going to be getting a raise on his current salary

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Even if he signs for less than his QO, he's going to be getting a raise on his current salary

a small one. I don't think any GM see's him as a 7.5 AAV player so it would be short term thinking on his part to just try to force a 1 year deal, or as @mll has pointed out it can go to arbitration too, which wouldn't be good for anyone.

I know you don't like him, but for me he's the kind of person you bet on building a team. Its OK that we differ on it.

• Cheers 1