The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who will be Sellers at the Trade Deadline and what players will be available?

21 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

So more of a long term move rather than a short term one. 

I think with smart moves they'd be competitive next year and a solid playoff team in two years time.  I also think JR is, more or less, going to follow JBs timeline

22 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

why is this? 

Because teams get stars in their eyes about a Cup run and always overpay for improving their chances at the deadline.

At the draft those picks become tangible and teams get stars in their eyes about the lottery ticket they represent.

• Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, Provost said:

Because teams get stars in their eyes about a Cup run and always overpay for improving their chances at the deadline.

At the draft those picks become tangible and teams get stars in their eyes about the lottery ticket they represent.

interesting point. Certainly rings true.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

If we’re trading Halak, we’d need a goalie to come back. None of our goalie prospects are ready to step in at this stage of their development. 

Couldn't they just play out the season with Martin as the backup? If management decides they don't believe we're in it this year does it really matter who our backup is so long as we're not ruining a prospect? 

Edited by Coconuts

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Couldn't they just play out the season with Martin as the backup? If management decides they don't believe we're in it this year does it really matter who our backup is so long as we're not ruining a prospect? 

I mean, even if we’re out of the playoffs, the goal is still to win games. LOL 

Having Martin in goal, almost guarantees that we lose. 

2 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

If anyone is going to be sellers - it'll be Seattle and Montreal. 

We probably should be sellers as well. 

This road trip to me was the one that either made or break our playoff chances. We’re 1-3 on this road trip so far. Win tomorrow, and we’re 2-3, decent, but not great, and certainly not enough to make up ground with the playoffs. 

1-4 road trip? We’re basically done. 

I think JR probably has his mind made up by the end of this month where this team is at. We’re 1 game below .500, but we’re like 5/6 points behind SJ for that last spot, no? 

2 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

If anyone is going to be sellers - it'll be Seattle and Montreal. 

Yeah. Seattle for sure. Flip their players for prospects and draft picks for the upcoming 2022 draft. 

Montréal I think might trade some of their players, but they’re going to want to keep their young players to build upon. 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It's true, I think they'd rather have someone more competent. I just question who'd be available and how much we'd be willing to give up, which probably wouldn't be much.

57 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

47 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's true, I think they'd rather have someone more competent. I just question who'd be available and how much we'd be willing to give up, which probably wouldn't be much.

Something like Halak  for DeSmith and a pick would work fine.

DeSmith might even be a good buy low guy to extend, that Clarke could work with. He's been a solid backup for most of his career.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

DeSmith might even be a good buy low guy to extend, that Clarke could work with. He's been a solid backup for most of his career.

Yup, but it's sounding more like we'll be stuck with Halak from what we've heard lately 

I'd count on having his bonus tacked on to our cap next season

If it isn't that's a welcome surprise 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, but it's sounding more like we'll be stuck with Halak from what we've heard lately 

I'd count on having his bonus tacked on to our cap next season

If it isn't that's a welcome surprise 

Is Halak’s bonus a problem moving forward? 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Kind of washes out right? Except, we might have to tag on a pick to get Halak’s bonus off our hands. 

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Is Halak’s bonus a problem moving forward? 

Not a long term problem, but it'll hurt us in the offseason and next season 

If he earns his bonus, and he will if he stays, it'll count as dead cap next year, which is problematic because the Virtanen and Holtby buyouts eat up more cap next season and eat up most of Luongo's  recapture being freed up

It puts the squeeze on a roster that's currently pretty capped out as is

Edited by Coconuts