The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Nothing to see here. Rumour likely leaked to light a fire under him. We need his tenacity and points to keep the ball rolling. He's integral to our team.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Big Potato Games

hes been mostly invisible for like 2 months. 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

source: Hockeywriters / Ty Smith (D), who is on a ELC as possible return for Garland?

Multiple reports last offseason indicated the Devils were interested in Garland, so it’s not a surprise to see them involved again if he’s available. As with any trade, the price is always key. If a first-round pick is what the Canucks are looking for in return for Garland, that may be a price too steep to pay. But a second-round pick and a couple of other assets, and there may be a deal to be had. 

Patrick Johnston, who covers the Canucks for The Province, believes Ty Smith and Damon Severson would interest Allvin and Canucks president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford (from ‘Flames 1, Canucks 0 (OT): Thatcher Demko carries defence as offence goes silent’, The Province – 1/30/22). 

Severson is an expensive price for Garland, not one the Devils would or should be willing to pay. But parting with Smith may be something they’re OK with doing. The Devils have Luke Hughes, Shakir Mukhamadullin, Kevin Bahl, Daniil Misyul and Reilly Walsh coming up on defense in their prospect pool. It’s a position of strength for them, so they could probably absorb trading Smith for a scorer. Johnston also indicated Smith could be of more interest to the Canucks because he’s only 21 years old and still on his entry-level deal. A second-round pick, Smith and another asset should get a deal done.

Garland could play on a line with any of Nico Hischier, Jack Hughes or Dawson Mercer, so he makes sense for the Devils. His contract is more than reasonable (four years remaining at a cap hit of $4.95 million), and he fits with the Devils’ core, as he turns 26 in March. It’ll be interesting to see how hard a push Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald makes to acquire him. 

Why would we want NJ castaways for a top 6, cost controlled player?

Hockey writers are just dumb. Why would we need Ty Smith when we have Hughes and Rathbone? 

Elliotte Friedman said we are looking to move Garland because we need cap space... What makes no sense, why would we trade a cost controlled forward in his prime for forwards... Good lord. We could trade so many other pieces... 

26 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

he's been mostly invisible on the score sheet since BB took over but he's still noticeable on the ice trying and hustling.

first of all, so what? second of all, I disagree anyway. there have been entire games where I was like "is he out with covid and I missed it? nope, guess he played after all."

his first month he looked electric. he's been basically nathan gerbe ever since. 

If a deal could be made for Carlo I would trade Garland. Carlo has an extra year and is 4.1M for a 2nd pair defensive defenseman who turned 25 back in November. 

If Boston is still interested in OEL we could somehow package OEL/Garland for Carlo+ I would take it too. OEL isn't bad but to save 7.25M long-term would be super helpful. Would have to take some short-term cap dumps back for sure.

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, tas said:

first of all, so what? second of all, I disagree anyway. there have been entire games where I was like "is he out with covid and I missed it? nope, guess he played after all."

his first month he looked electric. he's been basically nathan gerbe ever since. 

so what? the entire teams been struggling offensively.. by your standard hoglander podz chiasson dickenson myers poolman and everyone else that's not producing have disappeared too.

32 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If a deal could be made for Carlo I would trade Garland. Carlo has an extra year and is 4.1M for a 2nd pair defensive defenseman who turned 25 back in November. 

If Boston is still interested in OEL we could somehow package OEL/Garland for Carlo+ I would take it too. OEL isn't bad but to save 7.25M long-term would be super helpful. Would have to take some short-term cap dumps back for sure.

Poolman is paid half than Carlo and he’s the better player.  

36 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so what? the entire teams been struggling offensively.. by your standard hoglander podz chiasson dickenson myers poolman and everyone else that's not producing have disappeared too.

none of the players you mentioned are being paid $5 schmil with the expectation of putting up 20+ goals and 50+ points in a top 6 role. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

none of the players you mentioned are being paid $5 schmil with the expectation of putting up 20+ goals and 50+ points in a top 6 role. 

let's toss OEL and Myers in there then i think they are expected to produce more than 19 points combined between 13.5mil

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Why would we want NJ castaways for a top 6, cost controlled player?

Hockey writers are just dumb. Why would we need Ty Smith when we have Hughes and Rathbone? 

Elliotte Friedman said we are looking to move Garland because we need cap space... What makes no sense, why would we trade a cost controlled forward in his prime for forwards... Good lord. We could trade so many other pieces... 

Ty smith is a castoff? You dont watch much hockey do you?  Ty smith has thr potential to be a top pairing dman.   Rathbone isnt even in the same league. 

50 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

We arent getting mercer for garland.

If it’s for average pieces that aren’t even blue chip center or RHD prospects what’s the rush on an average deal. Garland for a Ty Smith caliber type prospect could be made in 3 years after we’ve gotten great value out of Garland and deal him in his expiring year. If a team wants a top 6 locked up on this deal they’re going to have to give up something worth missing out on that value. The Smith type prospects are nice but they shouldn’t move the needle here on a guy with so much term left.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Ty smith is a castoff? You dont watch much hockey do you?  Ty smith has thr potential to be a top pairing dman.   Rathbone isnt even in the same league. 

Eddie,

Why would we trade an established top 6 player on a good cost controlled contract for a 5'10 left shot D who can't defend? Smith is redundant here and therefore makes 0 sense to trade for him. Smith has shown nothing to date that suggests he is a future top pairing guy. Just because he was drafted in the 1st round doesn't mean he has increased value due to "potential". Just a few seasons ago Boeser had the potential to be a 40 goal guy and Pettersson had the potential to be a 90 point guy. Just because you have potential doesn't mean you hit it.  There is a reason NJ is willing to trade Smith for Garland and not guys like Severson, Holtz, and Mercer. Hint: Smith maybe just isn't as good as they thought he was. They wouldn't be trading their "future 1st pairing" guy for Garland tho I could assure you that! Leave the evaluating talent to the experts!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Eddie,

Why would we trade an established top 6 player on a good cost controlled contract for a 5'10 left shot D who can't defend? Smith is redundant here and therefore makes 0 sense to trade for him. Smith has shown nothing to date that suggests he is a future top pairing guy. Just because he was drafted in the 1st round doesn't mean he has increased value due to "potential". Just a few seasons ago Boeser had the potential to be a 40 goal guy and Pettersson had the potential to be a 90 point guy. Just because you have potential doesn't mean you hit it.  There is a reason NJ is willing to trade Smith for Garland and not guys like Severson, Holtz, and Mercer. Hint: Smith maybe just isn't as good as they thought he was. They wouldn't be trading their "future 1st pairing" guy for Garland tho I could assure you that! Leave the evaluating talent to the experts!

In part to create cap space but Garland should bring back a decent return.  Smyl again echoed Rutherford this week saying that cap space is a big issue and that they need to fix that to be able to move forward.

Boudreau has a puck mover at the top of his wish list.  When Rutherford replaced Johnston with Sullivan he blamed himself for not bringing in enough puck movers.  Pittsburgh didn't allow many goals against but felt that their lack of mobility limited their offence.  He traded for Daley and Schultz who wasn't known for his defensive play and they went on to win the Cup that season.  

My question about Garland is whether we are seeing his ceiling right now? He is still young and might still have more. If JR wants some size then Garland might bring that in a deal. Great contract. Garland has to bring a player back and a draft pick. A second?