The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

1 minute ago, Harold Drunken said:

Because at $7.25 per year you're also expected to contribute offensively. 7.25 per should get you a little more than solid defense, we could have got that re-signing Tanev for $4.5 per. Tanev also has 2 more goals and 2 more points on the season than OEL which let's be honest shouldn't happen.

OEL is a good leader and has given us some stability back there, but 8 points in 41 games is very underwhelming 

The lack of offense is a bummer, but that's pretty much across tye board.  He's been a stabilizing force over the last two months.  To me, this year is a write off

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure sure that list inspires much hand wringing when it comes to lost prospects....... especially when you consider they got Karlsson for Dahlen.

Yeah that wasn't really my point but I see what you're trying to do, if you really want to go into it you can take into account all the picks that were traded  and what those could have turned out to be. Stawns there a reason our prospect pool is shallow and we lack picks, that's just reality.

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yeah that wasn't really my point but I see what you're trying to do, if you really want to go into it you can take into account all the picks that were traded  and what those could have turned out to be. Stawns there a reason our prospect pool is shallow and we lack picks, that's just reality.

A big g reason n it's shallow is because guys who would normally still be prospect age are in the NHL.  I also think we tend to focus on the AHL, but they got some solid prospects in Europe and the NCAA as well.  I don't think it's as bleak as we think it is.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

A big g reason n it's shallow is because guys who would normally still be prospect age are in the NHL.  I also think we tend to focus on the AHL, but they got some solid prospects in Europe and the NCAA as well.  I don't think it's as bleak as we think it is.

Yeah I mean we have included picks in a lot of our recent trades that plays into it. It's not like we don't have any prospects I'm excited about McDonough and Klimovich but I wouldn't label it as a deep talent pool by any means. Rathbone should be back with the club soon too. 

5 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yeah I mean we have included picks in a lot of our recent trades that plays into it. It's not like we don't have any prospects I'm excited about McDonough and Klimovich but I wouldn't label it as a deep talent pool by any means. Rathbone should be back with the club soon too. 

I think McDonough, Jurmo, Person, Costmar, truscott, Karlsson are all guys outside of the AHL developing nicely.

I agree that there's a hole from traded 1st picks, but they got good value for those traded picks and at least one of those moves is probably going to bring back multiple ready to go prospects.

3 hours ago, thrago said:

I never said burn it down,  but making smart trades now can set this team up for decades.  Look at the Linden trade and what it did for the Canucks.  Just cause someone on your roster is an asset your willing to trade doesn't mean you just trade him for the sake of trading him, you only do it if it makes your team better now or the near future.

I am all for it. They can't add with the cap issues so something has to give. I am ok with a step back for a couple of years. They have an opportunity to turn a couple of high end talents into depth for the future. 

They must be getting a kings ransom to make it work. JR could be the perfect GM for the point this team is at. Boudreau is also the right coach because he is showing the true capabilities of a few players. Guys like Meyers are being shown in a much better light. If they do this right it could set this franchise up for years to come.  

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Creating cap space with poolman, Burroughs, etc is fine and dandy.

Creating cap space with the only comparable player we've had to the honey badger under cost controlled and reasonable contract after giving up a 9tg overall is not

The Garland interest makes sense but unless the return is amazing, he seems like he'd be a better option to stay than to move out.  If the new management team wants the team to get faster, then Garland seems to be part of the status quo that already provides that.  Even though Garland isn't the biggest player, he's pesky, quite gritty and doesn't back down from the physical play so I don't think his size is that much of a factor.  This is also all not factoring in Garland's contract which is of just as much value to the Canucks as it is to other teams.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

You guys are way more up on this stuff than I am.

What do you think of Garland for Schneider?

Fair trade?

Both sides have to add? 

e.g.  Nux add Miller:  NYR add?  Maybe a C and a 1st+

Miller + Garland for Schneider, a center, a 1st + ?

Miller alone should get you Schneider a center (chytil) and a first.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

So the difference between Miller and Garland is Chytil?

Thanks; I had not heard of either Schneider nor Chytil 'til this 'trade Miller' talk started.

You've never heard of Schneider?  Chytll I could see, but schneidef was a key piece for team Canada at the WJHC.  Chytil was also a key member of the Czech Republican WJHC team........Schneider drafted #19 in 2020, Chytil #21in 2017

Just now, shiznak said:

Friedman mentioned NJ as a possible landing spot for Garland.

I’ll do Garland for Sharangovich, straight up.

I do think any move for garland would be a younger roster player coming back.  The spot the Canucks are in isn't about draft picks as the focal point, imo, or even prospects 2-3 years away.  They need players who will be making significant contributions in the next year or so.  Guys like Podz and Hogz

5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Friedman mentioned NJ as a possible landing spot for Garland.

I’ll do Garland for Sharangovich, straight up.

Sharangovich would be a nice for on the 3rd line guy, but I think Garland is worth a little more than that.

Edited by stawns