The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

No matter what happens, I just hope we target the right people. Prospects/picks/players/drafting etc. 

So much unknown with everything right now, speed and skill along with youth is what I’ve heard Rutherford say the most. 
We have great pieces to go either way with our forwards, but our Defence is a tire fire with Myers and OEL eating up money. No clue how that gets fixed or if it does. 

52 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

No matter what happens, I just hope we target the right people. Prospects/picks/players/drafting etc. 

So much unknown with everything right now, speed and skill along with youth is what I’ve heard Rutherford say the most. 
We have great pieces to go either way with our forwards, but our Defence is a tire fire with Myers and OEL eating up money. No clue how that gets fixed or if it does. 

It’ll be hard to fix OEL, almost impossible, me thinks. I think he’s probably here to stay for the foreseeable future. Maybe Coyotes fans were right after all, in that he’s been declining for years. And now we have an asset who might continue to depreciate. Benning and his idiotic moves to save his own ass. That man has done this franchise horribly with his dumb transactions/trades/UFA signings/cap management, etc. 

Myers - the good news about his contract is that it expires in 2 years. So there’ll be cap relief there, and he could be trade-able in his last year of his contract, for a contending team for, again, more prospects/picks/young roster players. If he continues to play the way he has been the next two years, I don’t see why a contender won’t want to add him to their playoff run. 

I don’t think anyone wants to go near OEL, to be fair. Benning was an idiot to want to go after him that hard. Could Garland not be had for the 90A alone? 

12 hours ago, appleboy said:

LOL

Burn it down.

I never said burn it down,  but making smart trades now can set this team up for decades.  Look at the Linden trade and what it did for the Canucks.  Just cause someone on your roster is an asset your willing to trade doesn't mean you just trade him for the sake of trading him, you only do it if it makes your team better now or the near future.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Me_ said:

NYR

Garland

VAN

Kravtsov

Kravtsov would be a solid acquisition but Garland's value is at all time high, and Kravtsov is an all time low. There's no need to trade Garland and he's on a sweet contract - if NYR wants him, they gotta overpay.

Kravstov, Schneider + 2nd + 7th

But I'd prefer straight up Kakko + Schneider for Garland.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 1/29/2022 at 5:57 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

Man trading him already would suck.

If they trade Miller AND Garland we are really setting ourselves back a number of years in regards to being competitive.

Yes but that was this franchises mindset and mistake when we should have actually been rebuilding years ago but instead tried to remain competitive and kept trading prospects and picks...all we got was year after year of mediocrity and a depleted prospect pool. That's the thing, to truly rebuild and re stock the cabinets so to speak you cant have it both ways. I'm not saying we are in a rebuild now situation I think are past that, more of a re-tool. Question is, how competitive are we with this group and moving forward? We struggle to score goals and our defense doesn't produce or support at all....people talk about playoffs on here like we have the recipe for post season success but truth is right now we don't. I think keeping Garland makes more sense than trading him although completely depends on return.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Edmonton, the game where we were missing our first line and our first two goalies?  

Yesterday we were only missing Pearson, and our ENTIRE right side defence (Myers, Poolman, Hamonic, Burroughs). 

I will wait to pass judgment :) 

So are you saying if we had Myers, Poolman, Hamonic and Burroughs (by the way those guys wouldn't even all be playing if available) we would have scored a goal? Because the problem wasn't our defensive game or play from our back end....the problem is we couldn't score any goals. I don't see the logic or relevance of missing those guys and us creating zero offense. If we let in 7 goals then that's a different argument. We were shut out, I'm not sure those guys would have played a big role in changing that lol.

Edited by Harold Drunken

8 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

So are you saying if we had Myers, Poolman, Hamonic and Burroughs (by the way those guys wouldn't even all be playing if available) we would have scored a goal? Because the problem wasn't our defensive game or play from our back end....the problem is we couldn't score any goals. I don't see the logic or relevance of missing those guys and us creating zero offense. If we let in 7 goals then that's a different argument. We were shut out, I'm not sure those guys would have played a big role in changing that lol.

Myers transition game.has been awesome. I don't think it's a stretch to think that there's a good chance we score 1 with him in the lineup.

• Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yes but that was this franchises mindset and mistake when we should have actually been rebuilding years ago but instead tried to remain competitive and kept trading prospects and picks...all we got was year after year of mediocrity and a depleted prospect pool. That's the thing, to truly rebuild and re stock the cabinets so to speak you cant have it both ways. I'm not saying we are in a rebuild now situation I think are past that, more of a re-tool. Question is, how competitive are we with this group and moving forward? We struggle to score goals and our defense doesn't produce or support at all....people talk about playoffs on here like we have the recipe for post season success but truth is right now we don't. I think keeping Garland makes more sense than trading him although completely depends on return.

Who did they trade that's made any impact somewhere else?  I guess you could say McCaan, but that's about it

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Myers transition game.has been awesome. I don't think it's a stretch to think that there's a good chance we score 1 with him in the lineup.

I won't disagree, but we also had Hughes and OEL in the lineup who are regarded as our puck moving Dmen, and Myers only having 11 points in 44 games doesn't really lead me to believe he would have had a big impact on our offensive output. This team struggles to score goals and has all season regardless of who's back there. 

Just now, stawns said:

What's to "fix"?  He's a solid dman who will likely play at this level through his contract.   Not like the Canucks have a lineup of good young d waiting for a ice time

I really don't know what people are watching to say that OEL needs fixing, he's playing solid defense.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

What's to "fix"?  He's a solid dman who will likely play at this level through his contract.   Not like the Canucks have a lineup of good young d waiting for a ice time

That is the scary thing. JB drafted some amazing talent forward wise but our defencive cupboard is shockingly empty…so many of his D picks have fell flat. Woo looks ok and has some nice upside, but other than that it’s not much at all. Oh and we can kinda count Tryamkin…? Rathbone, maybe…he keeps getting hurt tho so hard to access him properly. Anyways we definitely need to shore that area up.

Edited by Attila Umbrus

4 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I won't disagree, but we also had Hughes and OEL in the lineup who are regarded as our puck moving Dmen, and Myers only having 11 points in 44 games doesn't really lead me to believe he would have had a big impact on our offensive output. This team struggles to score goals and has all season regardless of who's back there. 

There's more to offense than just pts.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who did they trade that's made any impact somewhere else?  I guess you could say McCaan, but that's about it

I'm not sure that was my point, but while you ask:

McCann

Forsling

Jonathan Dahlen

Nate Schmidt (kinda had to trade him but nonetheless)

I'm sure there are others, my main point was saying you can't trade players because we "need to remain competitive" is kind of flawed and completely depends on what Jim and Patrik see as the direction of the team. I don't want to trade Garland by any means it would take an amazing package for me to be ok with it.

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Kravtsov would be a solid acquisition but Garland's value is at all time high, and Kravtsov is an all time low. There's no need to trade Garland and he's on a sweet contract - if NYR wants him, they gotta overpay.

Kravstov, Schneider + 2nd + 7th

But I'd prefer straight up Kakko + Schneider for Garland.

I’d be happy with Kratsov + Schneider + 3rd.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

There's more to offense than just pts.

Yes I realize this, Myers is having a good season but saying we likely would have produced more offense with him in the lineup lacks evidence - I'll say it again, this team is 28th in the league in goals scored and very inconsistent in their offensive output. This is a season long issue, not because Myers was out of the lineup.

4 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I'm not sure that was my point, but while you ask:

McCann

Forsling

Jonathan Dahlen

Nate Schmidt (kinda had to trade him but nonetheless)

I'm sure there are others, my main point was saying you can't trade players because we "need to remain competitive" is kind of flawed and completely depends on what Jim and Patrik see as the direction of the team. I don't want to trade Garland by any means it would take an amazing package for me to be ok with it.

I'm not sure sure that list inspires much hand wringing when it comes to lost prospects....... especially when you consider they got Karlsson for Dahlen.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I really don't know what people are watching to say that OEL needs fixing, he's playing solid defense.

Because at $7.25 per year you're also expected to contribute offensively. 7.25 per should get you a little more than solid defense, we could have got that re-signing Tanev for $4.5 per. Tanev also has 2 more goals and 2 more points on the season than OEL which let's be honest shouldn't happen.

OEL is a good leader and has given us some stability back there, but 8 points in 41 games is very underwhelming 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

That is the scary thing. JB drafted some amazing talent forward wise but our defencive cupboard is shockingly empty…so many of his D picks have fell flat. Woo looks ok and has some nice upside, but other than that it’s not much at all. Oh and we can kinda count Tryamkin…? Rathbone, maybe…he keeps getting hurt tho so hard to access him properly. Anyways we definitely need to shore that area up.

I'm not a big fan of drafting dmen anyway, they are too hard to project at 18.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1