The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Conor Garland

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Brains has to come first though.  Vilardi is another dumbo.  No more Virtanen's!

Also there’s lots of dumb players that work hard and are willing to go through walls. We need more meat and potato guys and less fancy boys.

• Cheers 1

Kings have a lot of good prospects/young players, so I hope Allvin takes advantage of that

Vilardi

Kaliyev

Byfield

Kupari

Durzi

Turcotte

Clarke

Grans

Geez, they could be a playoff team AND have this prospect pool.  They're rich with prospects, time to Robinhood the Kings.

• Cheers 1

I honestly don't know why Garland is even in the trade rumors. His last season with the Coyotes was fabulous, with 39 points over 49 games on a horrible team. That projects to a 65 point pace. No, he hasn't been as good since coming here, being on pace for 46 points in a full season. But even that is considered "good" for a 2nd liner.

Then there's his motor, tenacity and agitating qualities, and we have to factor in that he's still in his mid-20's, locked in for 4 years after this one at under 5m.

The only knock I really have on the guy is that he's small and not much of a physical presence despite not being afraid to get his hands dirty. But while he may not be laying out bone-crushing hits, his edgework is fantastic and he manages to squirt out of board battles he would otherwise have no chance of winning so although he's small, I don't feel it's as much a detriment that you'd expect. (Similar to what we see with Q. Hughes.)

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, nergish said:

I would trade Miller AND Garland for a package including both Turcotte and Clarke. 

Don't really see why LA would be loading up on high-end roster players and sending out A-level prospects at this stage in their rebuild arc. 

Me neither, but I was only referring to why Turcotte is associated to Garland rumors, and not Clarke.  Not suggesting we want to trade with LA, or LA is interested in Miller, but as to why Clarke is not the name being thrown around... since it would take a piece like Miller to have Clarke associated with.

1 hour ago, T.Demko said:

Clarke would enter the conversation when LA is interested in Miller.  I don't see them moving Clarke for Garland.

they might. They do need more scoring if they are going to get past EDM or Cowgary. 

16 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

The options are pretty exciting:

Garland for Turcotte and Grans

Miller for Schneider, Kakko and a 1st

Motte for Liljegren 

If those things are possible that would be a major haul and sets us up for years.

This would end up giving us a young core of:

Kakko Pettersson Boeser

Podkolzin Horvat Hoglander

Pearson Turcotte Dickinson

Highmore Lammikko Lockwood 

Hughes Schneider

OEL Liljegren 

Rathbone Myers

Grans

Once Klimovich is ready he could replace Pearson or Dickinson and same with Grans replacing Myers in a year or two.  We have our first plus the Rangers 1st to add more depth too.  Hopefully we go for it as the timing seems too good to pass up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

We need more meat and potato guys and less fancy boys.

I don't disagree, so what do you have in mind?
This won't happen, but maybe someone like Josh Anderson? Someone that can put up some numbers, but can also hit with some size.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Kakko Pettersson Boeser

Hughes Schneider

OEL Liljegren 

Rathbone Myers

Grans

Once Klimovich is ready he could replace Pearson or Dickinson and same with Grans replacing Myers in a year or two.  We have our first plus the Rangers 1st to add more depth too.  Hopefully we go for it as the timing seems too good to pass up.

Lol. Liljigren will never be an NHL top four dman. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Kakko Pettersson Boeser

Hughes Schneider

OEL Liljegren 

Rathbone Myers

Grans

That is not a great looking lineup. You will also be wasting prime years of Pettersson, Hughes and Demko. Not the solution.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Lol. Liljigren will never be an NHL top four dman. 

Nope.

Just cause you pencil out a lineup doesn’t mean it will ever happen.

Kakko has also yet to show he can be a first liner.

And Schneider, Turcotte, and Grans are still just what ifs. Turcotte can’t produce at a high level in the AHL yet but he’s gonna be our third line center?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1