The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Feb. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Our defense makes 30 million. That’s ludicrous. When Pittsburgh won their two cups, they paid 18 million and they could actually put the puck in the net. You limit your team so much if you don’t get any offense from the backend and we pay our defense the second most in the league. It’s crazy.

Big part of why our D is overpaid is this organization has historically been brutal at drafting D. Hardly ever have D on entry level deals.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Big part of why our D is overpaid is this organization has historically been brutal at drafting D. Hardly ever have D on entry level deals.

Ya, I agree. We also had that horrible and unfortunate accident with Bourdon. I think he would have been a stud but historically it’s been bad. It’s also crazy that in the franchises 52 year existence we have never been bad enough to get a number one overall pick to draft a superstar. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya, I agree. We also had that horrible and unfortunate accident with Bourdon. I think he would have been a stud but historically it’s been bad.

Ah, RIP Luc. He was gonna be a stud. Wish he was there for 2011. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Reality check. They have to play .700 hockey to make it and they haven’t done it consistently. Yes they play most of their games at home but it’s highly unlikely they will be able to do it. I think what’s more important is building the depth in the organization, adding assets and freeing up money from trades. Freeing cap space and adding depth are the most important things in the long run.

Well said, lets let our newly hired great hockey minds get this done. Playing .700 is asking a lot, while hoping all above you are loosing. Our new management team are not that optimistic, expect player movement for sure. My thoughts are say by by to Miller, Halak, Mott. Don't worry folks we are not selling the farm, but those 3 players will give us some great future assets. Big advantages is we have time with deadline over a month away, teams not trying to bargain with us as we are not desperate like an EDM, NYI. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Vancan2021 said:

Well said, lets let our newly hired great hockey minds get this done. Playing .700 is asking a lot, while hoping all above you are loosing. Our new management team are not that optimistic, expect player movement for sure. My thoughts are say by by to Miller, Halak, Mott. Don't worry folks we are not selling the farm, but those 3 players will give us some great future assets. Big advantages is we have time with deadline over a month away, teams not trying to bargain with us as we are not desperate like an EDM, NYI. 

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, b3. said:

To many players on this team that get paid to make a difference who are consistent no shows.

Boeser, Horvat, Garland,Petey and on and on

This is absolutely true. Especially if you're making 5+ million a year, step up to the plate. There shouldn't be any excuses. 

It's pretty pathetic. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

This is absolutely true. Especially if you're making 5+ million a year, step up to the plate. There shouldn't be any excuses. 

It's pretty pathetic. 

It’s also one of the biggest problems, handing out contracts and not getting their value from them. It’s crazy how many contracts on this team have had this happen.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

Reality check. They have to play .700 hockey to make it and they haven’t done it consistently. Yes they play most of their games at home but it’s highly unlikely they will be able to do it. I think what’s more important is building the depth in the organization, adding assets and freeing up money from trades. Freeing cap space and adding depth are the most important things in the long run.

In reality, yes it's very tough to do.  But I will be cheering for them to do it.  They don't need cap space for this season so they don't have to do it at the TDL.  They can do it before the draft, or before the next season starts.

It’s also one of the biggest problems, handing out contracts and not getting their value from them. It’s crazy how many contracts on this team have had this happen.

The thing is, sure it's on this/our team, but it is common throughout the league. 

My beef is, if you're making millions of dollars playing the game you love and are playing in the best league in the world, it's a privilege, respect it.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

In reality, yes it's very tough to do.  But I will be cheering for them to do it.  They don't need cap space for this season so they don't have to do it at the TDL.  They can do it before the draft, or before the next season starts.

Yes but Miller will get the greatest amount of assets back right now. You run the risk of injury or a bad season next year which would lower his value. The value of some of the players  are at their highest right now.

8 minutes ago, Vancan2021 said:

Unless Halak waives his NMC he's not going anywhere.  Miller will be traded if they get what they're asking for.  I have a sneaky feeling that Motte might be re-signed.

2 hours ago, Devron said:

Why would they? It would be a horrible decision. He may not regain form this season but he’s only 23. People forget that. A full healthy off-season with no contract distractions will be huge for Petey 

He will never be anything with this team. Had a bit of a run, but it’s over. Maybe with luck he could fit in with a new team and get some confidence back. 
I told all my friends the same thing years ago with the other high paid player Luongo. Said they would never win a cup with him because he choked on all the big saves when it really counted. 

Just now, BarnBurner said:

The thing is, sure it's on this/our team, but it is common throughout the league. 

My beef is, if you're making millions of dollars playing the game you love and are playing in the best league in the world, it's a privilege, respect it.

Ya and it seems to be a reoccurring theme of not starting out great and having to claw our way back just to talk about the possibility of making the playoffs and then failing to do so. We always hear at the end of the year we need to be better but it never happens to start the year. You get paid millions, you need to earn it.

Yes but Miller will get the greatest amount of assets back right now. You run the risk of injury or a bad season next year which would lower his value. The value of some of the players  are at their highest right now.

And he may have a better season next year.  This is all hypotheticals.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Viper007 said:

And he may have a better season next year.  This is all hypotheticals.

Do you really want to run that risk to fall short of the playoffs yet again. You need to look at the history of the team. They are following the same pattern of not being able to make the playoffs. We are headed down that road again. We have had problems in the past of not getting assets for players and having them walk. No thanks. Been there done that. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is it the mix of players that aren't right?

Are we too small?

Not physical enough?

I really don't know. All I can say there's seems to be a big gap between that Canucks and playoff teams.

I hate to say this but I’m starting to believe our best options might actually be trade to EP and BB. And the only reason i say this is because that combined identity of those two players is what we need less off, unfortunately.

I would replace these two with gritty larger forwards who play with intensity, consistently. 2 F who can immediately create that impact. 

If I was GM, I would truly consider offering EP or BB to MTL for Josh Anderson. His profile is exactly what should be the Canuck prototype when it comes to retooling this roster.

I believe it would also dramatically help shift the locker room to more of a workhorse mentality. 

As for the other forward…any thoughts?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

He will never be anything with this team. Had a bit of a run, but it’s over. Maybe with luck he could fit in with a new team and get some confidence back. 
I told all my friends the same thing years ago with the other high paid player Luongo. Said they would never win a cup with him because he choked on all the big saves when it really counted. 

say what? 

Lol Time for ol’ Devron to take a break from CDC for a bit I think 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

Are the canucks a contender?  Of course not.  Nobody said they were.  Nobody should be expecting them to be that.  Can they make the playoffs?  I believe they can.  But they'll need some help.

When will they be? 
I’ve been waiting since 1971