The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Feb. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

The only players you shouldn't be trading are EP, Hughes and Demko. It's not a novel idea but some of you seem o thinks otherwise. 

Sometimes players just have bad seasons, ask MacKinnon before he broke out. You don't trade those guys, you trade the guys around them. 

EP needs to be on the list, this team is need of a super star presence and I don’t believe EP is it or will achieve that

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Brock cost us the game last night. Hes inching toward negative value.

Definitely not negative value. He’s 24 years old having a down year on a stagnated team. 

I mean you could argue he’s been steadily declining in points department. Is his value what it was say a year ago maybe? Perhaps not, but definitely not close to negative value. At least as of yet. 

4 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I just don't understand why this team can't score. Horvat, Pettersson, and Boeser all having down years at once? Why? 

My "expert" opinion is that, often, they hold the puck a second or two too long before getting the shot off. Even one timers give a clue that they're coming. Also, their aim is terrible...maybe if they took the "heat" off some of the shots to aim a bit more precisely? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I just don't understand why this team can't score. Horvat, Pettersson, and Boeser all having down years at once? Why? 

No doubt.  Maybe they all need a sports therapist ... have a bubble covid hangover ... young players that should be having the time of their lives, instead covid ... Who knows.   Agree it doesn't make a lot of sense - on paper anyways we should be scoring more goals! 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yes, I just don't see New York in particular being interested. A team that could possibly contend sooner than later likely wants more consistency, but I suppose it depends on who's available. Between Boeser and Miller I know who I'd want.

Well, you should reconsider your position because CDC always has accurate and insightful trade options. They would never write the same proposal 15 times in wannabe GM and congratulate each other about how good their trade is. Never!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Definitely not negative value. He’s 24 years old having a down year on a stagnated team. 

I mean you could argue he’s been steadily declining in points department. Is his value what it was say a year ago maybe? Perhaps not, but definitely not close to negative value. At least as of yet. 

I didn't say he had negative value. I said he was inching toward negative value. 

Inching toward negative value=declining.

30 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

My "expert" opinion is that, often, they hold the puck a second or two too long before getting the shot off. Even one timers give a clue that they're coming. Also, their aim is terrible...maybe if they took the "heat" off some of the shots to aim a bit more precisely? 

True, I notice they always hold on to the puck for two long and not just Boeser and Petersson but most of them. Miller gets his shot off quickly most times so thats why he is the leading scorer. Garland also shoots right away and from any angles. Boeser, Petersson and Horvat should practice taking 100 shots a day into the net every practice until it becomes natural to them. Boeser before his rookie year was shooting 100 pucks per day and that was he was so quick and accurate, even in all-star shooting event. Bruce needs to get them to shoot more or this team is not going anywhere with only Miller and 4th line showing up

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

True, I notice they always hold on to the puck for two long and not just Boeser and Petersson but most of them. Miller gets his shot off quickly most times so thats why he is the leading scorer. Garland also shoots right away and from any angles. Boeser, Petersson and Horvat should practice taking 100 shots a day into the net every practice until it becomes natural to them. Boeser before his rookie year was shooting 100 pucks per day and that was he was so quick and accurate, even in all-star shooting event. Bruce needs to get them to shoot more or this team is not going anywhere with only Miller and 4th line showing up

Hell even Myers shoots! 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

"expert" opinions are also welcomed.

Have you ever watched a practice sessions or a pre-game warm-up, Deb?

How many times in a practice session do players shoot the puck to the goal?

How many times in a warmup do players shoot the puck to the goal?

I can't understand that the shot accuracy just isn't there.

I can't understand that some players take stupid penalties over and over again.

I can't understand the reasons why some of the players are not able to learn from their mistakes.

The issue that the puck is passed from one player to the next player on the PP over and over again and &^@#ing nobody has the balls to shoot the puck to the net - we had issue in this season not only time, no we had this issue in numerous games and in numerous PP situations.

It's the same discussion at this stage of the season like in the previous seasons: we are sellers , we discuss what return player x,y.z would us fetch, we discuss the spot we would most likely draft in the NHL entry draft in Summer.

Same procedure as every year.

Nothing changed.

Sad.

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

"expert" opinions are also welcomed.

Have you ever watched a practice sessions or a pre-game warm-up, Deb?

How many times in a practice session do players shoot the puck to the goal?

How many times in a warmup do players shoot the puck to the goal?

I can't understand that the shot accuracy just isn't there.

I can't understand that some players take stupid penalties over and over again.

I can't understand the reasons why some of the players are not able to learn from their mistakes.

The issue that the puck is passed from one player to the next player on the PP over and over again and &^@#ing nobody has the balls to shoot the puck to the net - we had issue in this season not only time, no we had this issue in numerous games and in numerous PP situations.

It's the same discussion at this stage of the season like in the previous seasons: we are sellers , we discuss what return player x,y.z would us fetch, we discuss the spot we would most likely draft in the NHL entry draft in Summer.

Same procedure as every year.

Nothing changed.

Sad.

I was jealous seeing forsberg dying to shoot the puck on  the pp. 

The guys need to be hungry to score and it just doesnt look that way on the pp 50% of the time for whatever reason

2 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

EP needs to be on the list, this team is need of a super star presence and I don’t believe EP is it or will achieve that

The great thing about his bridge is we get a chance to see that before committing big $$ long term. I'd be pretty scared if this was Hughes right now. IF he hasn't performed to a CORE PLAYER fashion at TDL in 2023 or 2024, ship him.

Having said that, I just cant fathom how a player that looked SO strong and consistent for 2 years just tanks physically like he has. My only guess is that he didn't train right in 2021, so lets see how he rebounds next year before we trade him for a below previous play level return.

5 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I heard on SN 650 that we have the worst shooting percentage in the league. That almost always balances out over time, but it does seem very strange. No way we have the least talented bunch of shooters in the NHL, do we?

Bruce's motto; "Just Shoot". Don't get me wrong, not condoning it, just saying......

7 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I heard on SN 650 that we have the worst shooting percentage in the league. That almost always balances out over time, but it does seem very strange. No way we have the least talented bunch of shooters in the NHL, do we?

We have a bunch of guys that only wanna score if it’s bar downsky.

Bruce needs to get Petey, Brock, and Miller together at practice and drill home the message of getting the puck on net!

Shooting high and wide every time loses possession and has a low percentage of creating a scoring chance.

Low hard shots with a tip or a screen create way more goals than post and in shots.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We have a bunch of guys that only wanna score if it’s bar downsky.

Bruce needs to get Petey, Brock, and Miller together at practice and drill home the message of getting the puck on net!

Shooting high and wide every time loses possession and has a low percentage of creating a scoring chance.

Low hard shots with a tip or a screen create way more goals than post and in shots.

A lot of this could be solved having a playmaker in our top 6, someone who’s sole focus is to get the puck to those guys. But again, they really need to improve on their shot selection and shot delivery… it’s atrocious. Miller does a wind up slap shot 15ft from the net as if it won’t ring around the boards all the effing time. 

If we didn’t have Garland, I would be doing everything I can to try and get Debrincat. Obviously having two 5’7 forwards is not ideal

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

A lot of this could be solved having a playmaker in our top 6, someone who’s sole focus is to get the puck to those guys. But again, they really need to improve on their shot selection and shot delivery… it’s atrocious. Miller does a wind up slap shot 15ft from the net as if it won’t ring around the boards all the effing time. 

If we didn’t have Garland, I would be doing everything I can to try and get Debrincat. Obviously having two 5’7 forwards is not ideal

Yea the lack of playmakers and guys that can get to the “soft spots” on the ice is glaring.

That would solve some of the issues but it’s up to them to get into and shoot from better positions.