The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Terrible customer care thread

Gurn

On 2/3/2022 at 10:25 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

Many years ago, I was playing in a band in PG. One of our guitar players had always wanted a 100 Watt Marshall head with a 4 x 10 cabinet.

In those days there was a crappy Mom and Pop music store in PG called B&B Music It was owned and operated by a family of condescending jerks, the worst of which was the son and defacto manager, Jay.

Since they were the only game in town, we had all spent a fair amount of money in the store and put up with them trying to steer us to Peavey gear. The one thing they always claimed was that they would match any price we could get from other music stores, so the guitarist (Joe) decided to give that a shot. He got a verbal quote from Axe Music in Edmonton for the Marshall combo. (Don't remember what the price was, but it was a pretty good deal, since his brother had bought an entire PA system from them)

Joe takes the quote back to Jay, who looks him in the eye and says "You're lying." So that was the end of that.

A couple of weeks later, I'm talking to B&B's bookkeeper and told him the story. Then I showed him the invoice....from Axe Music....for the price that Joe had quoted....

Years ago I signed out a beautiful acoustic from B&B to try it out over the weekend.  It was a bday present to myself.  Then on Monday I went to go put a payment down on it and the shop had burned down over the weekend.  

No, I was not responsible.

I called the number posted on the door and explained I wanted to buy it in my voicemail and never heard anything back.  I'm assuming they just logged it as lost in the fire.

As much as I wasn't a fan of B&B either, they gave me a pretty sweet parting gift.

Edited by LesPaul81
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, LesPaul81 said:

Years ago I signed out a beautiful acoustic from B&B to try it out over the weekend.  It was a bday present to myself.  Then on Monday I went to go put a payment down on it and the shop had burned down over the weekend.  

No, I was not responsible.

I called the number posted on the door and explained I wanted to buy it in my voicemail and never heard anything back.  I'm assuming they just logged it as lost in the fire.

As much as I wasn't a fan of B&B either, they gave me a pretty sweet parting gift.

Just as another example, we ordered a 24 channel snake from them (Python) As it was something they normally wouldn't carry, we had to pay for it up front. When it arrived, it was dirty and had gaff tape all over it. Turns out that after it arrived, they got a request for a PA system from a traveling Evangelist who had appeared at the Coliseum the weekend before. They needed a snake for the PA rental, so they used ours.

No mention of a reduction in price. Nothing but here you go, it's yours.....<_<

Another time, we had put a few hundred bucks down on a layaway for another piece of gear. (I think it was a power amp) I went down with what would have been the final payment and was told they had sold it. They gave me the rest of the money back, but I had to ask: "Do you guys understand what a layaway is"? Of course they did. they just didn't GAF....

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just as another example, we ordered a 24 channel snake from them (Python) As it was something they normally wouldn't carry, we had to pay for it up front. When it arrived, it was dirty and had gaff tape all over it. Turns out that after it arrived, they got a request for a PA system from a traveling Evangelist who had appeared at the Coliseum the weekend before. They needed a snake for the PA rental, so they used ours.

No mention of a reduction in price. Nothing but here you go, it's yours.....<_<

Another time, we had put a few hundred bucks down on a layaway for another piece of gear. (I think it was a power amp) I went down with what would have been the final payment and was told they had sold it. They gave me the rest of the money back, but I had to ask: "Do you guys understand what a layaway is"? Of course they did. they just didn't GAF....

Wow, that's terrible.

But as for poor customer service stories, I've had far too many from the same companies that give you few choices to go elsewhere and not receive the same crappy customer service.

- Banks (currently at ATB...that's ALBERTA Treasury Branch...their customer "service" team is somewhere in the Philippines).

- Cell phone providers (they all suck, and - same for comment below - Telus is also located offshore)

- Cable and INet providers (what country would ever allow a private corporation to own the infrastructure...like we do in Canada / USA)

So, so many others. Car dealerships, clothing stores, fast food restaurants...basically anywhere that you would expect even the basic common decent customer courtesy...it's pretty much all gone bye-bye now...you get what you get.

I laugh about it now, but I got a lesson in how to use bug spray at a high rise apartment building I lived at years ago.  To make this short, there was a bug problem in my apartment, and I showed the maintenance person where the bugs were occurring - the bedroom, living room, kitchen, the hallway.  He then says - "here" and hands me the bug spray and shows me how to use it and tells me I can keep it...

Oh jeez - a lesson in how to use bug spray at a high rise apartment building for an apartment that I was paying high rent for...

Due to the bug issue, other issues, and especially the lesson in bug spray,  I started searching for a new apartment in the summer when the lease ended in winter. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2022 at 5:06 PM, gurn said:

A couple of years back I bought a Anti- virus program from  one of the "big" net security outfits.

Last year they auto renewed me for $89.00; which was a surprised as I did not recollect asking to be renewed. Since they went through Pay Pal I tried to get it stopped, but couldn't. I did manage to ensure that the  virus company couldn't get anymore of my money from Pay Pal, so all is good.

Today I get an email from the Virus people saying my auto renewal is about to kick in at $89.99; so this time I go through a rather strange procedure to cancel the auto renewal.

All good- except they send me to a page that offers to sell me the Virus protection program for $29.99(for one year, then back to $89.99)

download.jpg.d5e0af52c2514e78090e343882e56d55.jpg

so, they will give me $60 off the price, because I'm leaving; but couldn't offer it to me, and everybody at $29.99.

Jerks.

I cancelled and am now looking for a new anti virus company.

I've got about a month  and a half to find one.

My search for a new anti virus is over.

Went into Staples today, walked over to their anti-virus section and:

Bought a Norton product for $17.99. $8 bucks less than they'd charge me online and  $70 bucks cheaper than their "auto" renewal.

Next computer I'll do this differently, but with this machine I was concerned with compatibility issues- didn't want two different virus programs fighting each other.

• 7 months later...

Mall Wart:

Waiting at the checkout, while the cashier finishes dealing with the person in front of us.

By us, I mean myself and my 78 year old mom, and her rolling walker.

We have our 2 items on the belt and wait, while the person in front continues to talk to the cashier.

Cashier looks at us, presses the button to move the conveyer belt towards herself.

Stepping forward, I get a different view and realize the person in front wasn't a customer but was another Mall Wart employee, supervisor in fact.

Cashier begins ringing up our items, but has to stop as the supervisor continues to talk, and begins asking the cashier questions about transaction limits on credit cards.

So Mom and I wait. And wait. Supervisor asks the cashier 4 more questions and then starts to step back out of the way and says " Wal mart is about customer service".

Well I snap. I lose it! And say in a calm voice " Excuse me, but if this place was about customer service, you would have got out of the way and saved your questions till after the cashier was  finished with us. And a  place that valued customer service would have noted my Mom requiring a walker, and not kept her standing for 8 minutes while you do training. On a side note there was no need for you to ask the cashier the same question twice regarding credit limits, she said she didn't know the first time, no need to ask her again in that condescending tone you used on her". "Oh, you don't know?"

Then I turn to the cashier and apologize to her. " Sorry to do that, but I've had just enough psychology training to screw me up for the rest of my life, and crap like what just happened here gets me every time."

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

On 2/2/2022 at 7:43 PM, 24K PureCool said:

Anti-virus with windows 10 and beyond is kinda pointless as windows already does a pretty job protecting you against the typical viruses you will encounter.

Anything more modern is first more exotic to encounter and anti virus program does little to prevent them.

Like VPN, anti-virus trumps up their security benefits even when they do very little in that regard.

This but most people are to brainless to do some research and instead buy overpriced crap. 

Edited by kurtis

• 6 months later...

Couple of weeks back I get a phone call, allegedly from Telus; telling me they can get me better rates, than I am currently paying them.

I reply "Look I'm sorry but I'm busy right now, can you just send me an e mail with the info?" Caller tries to request my e mail, and I tell them it is the same on that is listed on my account.

I get no e mails from them, but I do get a call back a couple days later.

I'm busy again, so ask politely "just e mail me and send me a link to the offers"

Weeks go by and today:

I get a call, the lady says she's from Telus and I'm eligible for large discounts as an existing customer.

I'm not busy, so say "go ahead and let me know what's up."

She replies "First let me confirm your address"

I assure her my address is the same one they have been sending my invoices to for the last 3.5 yrs. 

There is a bit of a pause, then she asks what my e mail address is.

And again I have to tell a supposed Telus rep, that my email, address, and phone number are all on file with them and they can just look it up.

Conversation ends with her saying they will e mail me, but then I've heard that before.

What I wonder is

how many people just give these folk the answers to their questions?

If it is Telus, why waste employee time, when they could just send everyone an e mail, or include a notice in the monthly billing envelope?

Also why not just leave my old choices in place and simply reduce my fee?

Just put a card in my bill saying "Hey Gurn, we reduced your rates, for your existing plan, hope you don't mind?"

• 2 months later...

I don't really know if this is considered terrible or mildly terrible or whatever.  So a few days ago I went into the mobile carrier store that I have phone service with. I needed a second line added. The associate told me it was more benefitial to add a second line to my account instead of getting a prepaid plan and that I would get a free phone. I agreed to it. 

Where going to through the process of adding the second line and free phone, and the associate sets me up with the second line, free phone, plus a third line because the third line is free right now through a promotion and sets me up with a new plan. I told the associate which plan I wanted because it was cheaper and that I wanted two lines, not three. He begins switching me over to the plan I wanted and told me that it would take an hour that I would receive a text when it went through. 

I have not received a text. I checked my account online, and the account has not been switched to the plan I wanted, and it will not let me switch it over nor take off the third line. 

I called the mobile carrier today because I did not want to go back to the store - I felt like I was sold and that the transaction benefited the associate more than me.

When speaking to a representative on the phone, we were in the process of removing the third line and switching me to the plan I wanted, and he tells me there is going to be a prorated charge of $50-$60. I ask why because this would actually be a deduction instead of an increase in cost. 

I told him to not make any changes, that I would just go back to the store and speak with an associate. 

Even though I am so polite over the phone, internally I am not happy - I am very irritated at this. 

1. I only wanted a second line and not a third line. 

2. The plan on my account is not correct. It was supposed to be switched over to a different plan. 

3.  I should have done this myself originally online and not have gone to the store. 

• Cheers 1

Got that squared away. I spoke with the associate who setup the lines and free phone. I am still on the same plan with three lines, but am receiving the price I wanted. So I am getting more and paying less. 

Everything is cool now. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, brilac said:

Got that squared away. I spoke with the associate who setup the lines and free phone. I am still on the same plan with three lines, but am receiving the price I wanted. So I am getting more and paying less. 

Everything is cool now. 

The power of CDC is quite remarkable.

One post here, and the company immediately corrects the problem.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

My cell phone bill.

I posted my issue over a week ago, and I thought the mobile service provider and I got it squared away, but it's not. 

Wrong plan, wrong amount, I don't even want the third line, and instead of charging me for the new service the day we made the change, they charged me for the whole month! ~ Backdating it to the start of my billing cycling, causing over charges. 

I'm tired. I already interacted with them three times. Now it's going to be a fourth time on Saturday when I have time and energy to try to get this sorted out. 

Boy oh boy! 

• Huggy Bear 2