The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Cammi Granato as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Was tony a scout here?

Nope. Her brother Don Granato was a scout back in 2010-11 before moving on to resuming his coaching career. He was an AHL coach before scouting for us. He is currently the head coach of the Buffalo Sabres.

I'll be honest, I'm not super on board for this hire. She has very little experience in hockey front office, especially at the NHL level, which was similar to my feelings on the Allvin hire. That said, like with Allvin, I'm willing to take a "wait and see" approach.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I'll be honest, I'm not super on board for this hire. She has very little experience in hockey front office, especially at the NHL level, which was similar to my feelings on the Allvin hire. That said, like with Allvin, I'm willing to take a "wait and see" approach.

Cammi Granato was hired and attached to the disastrous Seattle expansion draft. It's hard not to think about how quickly she moved on from the Kraken to another divisional rival.

I don't get it. Here's what one guy says.

"She took the job because she was local, if she didn't want it she would just stay in Seattle.

She is also more the qualified for the job and one of the best female players of all time."

What changed so much that she would move on from her local team to another one in 3 months?

Edited by Dazzle

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I agree.  She seems like a very likeable person and I would really like her to see her do well because of it, but it looks like a lot of people have jumped on the Cammi-train with lots of enthusiasm and little other reason (such as some history of success as an NHL executive) to back it up.  It just seems like the popular thing to do.  Anyways, we will see and hopefully it does turn into a real-life feel-good story in the end!

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, BlastPast said:

By stunning coincidence Ray Ferraro will love everything the Canucks do from now on, regardless of result. 

I think its pretty clear Ferraro is aware of the possible repercussions, thereby making him obviously much smarter that you.

Edited by skeena1
Used the word obvious too many times. What could I do?

1. Cammi was involved with pro scouting for the Seattle Kraken: that's a negative. 

2. We already have a pro scout in Derek Clancey, don't we?  I thought that we would be hiring a well accomplished amateur scout or a head of analytics.  

I'll reserve judgment on this one, but my initial impression isn't good. 

11 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1. Cammi was involved with pro scouting for the Seattle Kraken: that's a negative. 

2. We already have a pro scout in Derek Clancey, don't we?  I thought that we would be hiring a well accomplished amateur scout or a head of analytics.  

I'll reserve judgment on this one, but my initial impression isn't good. 

1. The team that was built in Seattle is not on her. Clearly Francis had a strategy to acquire players that would allow them to keep their cap flexible. She could only do so much if the goal was to be a lottery team.

2. Rutherford is building an analytics department. Therefore it’s not necessary to have an analytics GM. Allvin was also an amateur scout, and I have a feeling Rutherford will do things more by committee than Benning.

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s true that her NHL front office experience is limited. Not even two full years working as a pro scout for the expansion Kraken.

However, her experience with hockey itself is undeniable. As a player, she’s considered the best American to have ever played the women’s game, and she’s solidly top-3 all-time in the world. All time scoring leader in international women's hockey. First woman in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Also in the HOF’s for the IIHF and USA Hockey. Lester Patrick Trophy. And a display case full of international medals, including Olympic Gold.

Granato is quite literally a living legend of the game.

And she comes from a pretty noteworthy hockey family.

She also holds a Bachelor’s in Social Sciences (from Providence College) and a Master’s in Sports Administration (from Concordia University).

After her playing career finished, she stayed around the game, working as a broadcaster and analyst for NBC Sports, covering hockey at the Olympics and in the NHL. She’s also coached hockey, just not at high levels (although she was an “unofficial” assistant coach the USHL team one of her brothers coached years ago and she recently coached Team USA for the Elite Women’s 3-on-3). But she’s also been heavily involved in child/youth hockey, especially for girls, both as a coach (at camps like the Cammi Granato Hockey School) and through charitable works (like the Cammi Granato Hockey Heroes Grant).

Apparently, Granato has had plenty of offers from NHL teams over the years. But because husband Ray Ferraro was already away from home a lot with his media career, Granato wanted to stay closer to home, valuing stability and being there for their kids over advancing to the highest NHL career position available (a familiar story for many women). So Cammi didn’t take several front office jobs that were available, but NHL teams were certainly interested in her. It wasn’t until the Kraken opportunity presented itself that she finally agreed to an NHL team’s job offer (with Seattle just down the I-5). But the Granato-Ferraros still call Vancouver home, so when the Canucks came calling, it was obviously a perfect fit (not to mention the step up from scout to AGM).

I can understand how people might want to see a few more entries and years on her record of NHL front office experience. But I really don’t think anyone can question her experience level in the sport itself.

I have no doubt that Cammi Granato will immediately command great respect from her peers in front offices around the NHL. And I expect she will be very successful as an AGM for the Vancouver Canucks. :) 

I don't doubt her hockey knowledge, but there are many other NHL players who have as much hockey experience. I will say that her education with her undergraduate and masters degree do ease my concerns a little, but I would still like someone with more experience at a front office role before giving her such a big role. I would be more interested in her as a scout with the team for a little while first, before giving her a chance at an AGM role.

It does feel to me like JR is going to be a lot more hands on than I originally thought, given the dearth of experience in our front office aside from him. Castonguay has probably been my favourite big hire recently, but I'm not sure about the other two more recent ones. Time will tell, though.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Wut?

Ferraros nickname was the “little ball of hate”. That’s what I was referencing.

No idea what you’re talking about.

Ah, sorry then. Seen too many posters here upset at Ray because he publicly questioned a lot of JB's moves. Thought it was based on that.

16 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Ah, sorry then. Seen too many posters here upset at Ray because he publicly questioned a lot of JB's moves. Thought it was based on that.

The Canucks hate runs much deeper than JB with ferraro. He's been blic enemy number one for a long time.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Wut?

Ferraros nickname was the “little ball of hate”. That’s what I was referencing.

No idea what you’re talking about.

that was actually pat verbeek.

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

This is an interesting hire. I’m not sure what to make of it. 

Like one of the previous posters said. What would cause her to jump ship from Seattle to Van in a few short months? 

she already lives in vancouver and was offered a promotion. seems like a no brainer. 

• Cheers 2