The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, khay said:

I don't get all this fuss about Halak's bonus carrying over to next season.

We are retooling so we won't be signing any big name player in the free agency. In fact, we are looking to shed some cap in the next two seasons by trading contracts off and replacing them with cheaper contracts. 

I don't mind keeping Halak and just eating up his bonus next season.

Gonna be real with you, I honestly don't care either way. I see next season as a transition season at best, I'm fine eating dead cap for a single season. Hell, between Halak, Holtby, and Virtanen we'd have just under 4M in dead cap. At that point what's another 2.65 in retaining on Miller? Eat cap for a single season, give it the best with whoever we have come September, and see what happens. 

And then adjust our approach when all that cap expires. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Why not?  They'd likely be trading for developed prospects and/or roster players. Hopefully any pick they get is a first or second rounder.  No reason that most, if not all would be good NHL players.  I would agree if they were in rebuipd mode, ALA coyotes and stockpiled picks

All 5 panning out would be hard because there is only limited development ice time available for each game.

Top prospects need prime ice time and touch on the puck to develop. Part of the reason why Petey regressed may be because he was no longer the primary puck handler as he lost that job to Miller. 

But yeah, I sure hope so. Even 2 or 3 panning out would be a big win from the point of view of the retool. 

1 hour ago, khay said:

Yeah, he's basically a Pavel Bure. Great player but if his knee ever gives out... well he will still have his skills and vision to make plays but will not be as dynamic. H will have to find a way to reinvent his game if he does lose his speed.

Honestly, I don't think McDavid would have much of a game if he loses a step or two.  He's not like Ovechkin who can live off of his shot.  He's not like Gretzky who was able to live off of his vision and passing even at 38 years old.  And he's not big and physical like Mario or Jagr were.  Bure is a good example, but even Bure was a great passer and was a great penalty killer as well as having a mean streak. 

At the end of the day the question you have to ask yourself is how effective would McDavid be if he skated like Brock Boeser?

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Honestly, I don't think McDavid would have much of a game if he loses a step or two.  He's not like Ovechkin who can live off of his shot.  He's not like Gretzky who was able to live off of his vision and passing even at 38 years old.  And he's not big and physical like Mario or Jagr were.  Bure is a good example, but even Bure was a great passer and was a great penalty killer as well as having a mean streak. 

At the end of the day the question you have to ask yourself is how effective would McDavid be if he skated like Brock Boeser?

compare McDavid with other greatest is irrelevant, Different skill set, different era He’s a once in a generation (maybe once in a lifetime) player. Sydney Crosby still has some serious skills. Nikita Kucherov has a plethora of talent around him. Carey Price can still win hockey games on his own. Ovechkin is, by the numbers, the best pure goal scorer of all time. But nobody has the speed, skill and natural ability that McDavid has, Connor is also the best I have seen, and probably the best player ever, to gain the zone on the Power Play. Of course, Ovi scores a ton of PP goals, but even with that in mind i believe that Connor makes his PP more effective than even Ovechkin does. I believe Connor will go down as the best PP player of all time.

sure his defensive aspect need develop, He is the fastest player with elite stick handling. When you combine those two skills, he appears to be better than everyone. He could use a lot of development in his defense and puck management down low (below the goal line). He also appears to lack the fierce competitive nature that the best of the best have.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Obviously not going to be very effective if he skates like Boeser.

But he can still stickhandle faster than anybody. He will still have his skills. 

And I think he can still play fast. Puck will have to be moved fast instead of staying on his stick longer.

I think he will still be a good player, probably still gonna be a bit better than Boeser... but at 12.5 mil, that's a scary thought.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, AC30 said:

Miller is a beast 

BB is half a Miller 

Yep. Hence, the conundrum. Trade Miller or don't trade Miller?

It's all up to JT. If he wants to stay here, he can just walk up to the management and ask to sign a 4 year deal at 8-8.5 mil.

Don't think that's happening.

Canucks need to minimize the risk and seriously consider trades offers on him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Great, we are gonna get a pissed off Toronto on Saturday.

I don't know. Jack Campbell is starting to look beatable.

Take NJD, EDM, and OTT games out and you have a goalie that hasn't put up good numbers in the last 10 or so games.

1 hour ago, sxqhfeh said:

compare McDavid with other greatest is irrelevant, Different skill set, different era He’s a once in a generation (maybe once in a lifetime) player. Sydney Crosby still has some serious skills. Nikita Kucherov has a plethora of talent around him. Carey Price can still win hockey games on his own. Ovechkin is, by the numbers, the best pure goal scorer of all time. But nobody has the speed, skill and natural ability that McDavid has, Connor is also the best I have seen, and probably the best player ever, to gain the zone on the Power Play. Of course, Ovi scores a ton of PP goals, but even with that in mind i believe that Connor makes his PP more effective than even Ovechkin does. I believe Connor will go down as the best PP player of all time.

sure his defensive aspect need develop, He is the fastest player with elite stick handling. When you combine those two skills, he appears to be better than everyone. He could use a lot of development in his defense and puck management down low (below the goal line). He also appears to lack the fierce competitive nature that the best of the best have.

Yeah I don't think so.  McDavid may not even be the best player on his team, never mind the greatest player in NHL history...

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

So now that Petie is heated up we're going to get a lot of trade Brock hoopla now. 

Those two things aren't necessarily related at all. Boesers play will dictate that, not Pettersson's. 

If management feels it's not in the best interest of the team to sign him at his qualifying rate, they will manage accordingly. The organization won't re sign him because fans like him or he might get back to being the old Brock. 

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's an interesting take, never thought of that before but reading this you're right it's McDavids skating ability and pure speed that is his edge. He's a pretty elite stick handler too, even at full speed. But if he had average speed I don't think he's anywhere near the player he is. 

• Upvote 1

Fun fact:

Noah Juulsen was drafted lower and two years earlier than Cal Foote. Got decimated by injuries. Yet has more points than Cal Foote in Tampa. 

So maybe we got a diamond in the rough in Noah. 

Foote: 68 GP 7 points (1 goal 6 assists)

Juulsen: 55 GP 10 Points (2 goals 8 assists)

• Cheers 4

22 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Fun fact:

Noah Juulsen was drafted lower and two years earlier than Cal Foote. Got decimated by injuries. Yet has more points than Cal Foote in Tampa. 

So maybe we got a diamond in the rough in Noah. 

Foote: 68 GP 7 points (1 goal 6 assists)

Juulsen: 55 GP 10 Points (2 goals 8 assists)

I've liked Juulsens game and think he can carve out a role here.

A diamond in the rough, you say? Maybe a Juul of a player? I actually call him 'Jewel' seems to fit even more now! Haha

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1