The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OEL's Deployment

Rate this topic

hammertime

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'll preface by saying. I'm not interested in a Quinn bashing thread. Quinn is legit the future of our D corps. I'm here to talk about OEL. Since Quinn has been out OEL has taken a more offensive role and put up 2 goals something no D has been able to do this year and 3 assists for 5 points in the last 3 games or 4 points in the 2 games without Quinn slice it how you like. Is this man's talent's being wasted in a shut down role? I'd say it is. He is literally the only threat to shoot we have from the point on our team something we woefully lack. IMO a priority of Bruce/JR/Alvin's should be improving the quality of ice time we are getting Oliver. What do you think? How do we improve the quality of ice we get this man? Would it even improve the team overall?

I will say OEL very much reminds me of Edler in the sense that he is very much under appreciated for everything he brings to the table. I'd hate to see him solely judged on his point totals given the role he's been playing for us. 

This is the Problems that Benning stacked the team with.

Offensive LHD, 1st Cs… He solved the 1st goalie issue and created two other.

We really have no choice.

What most were worried about coming into this season was how this team is going to defend, and OEL-Myers have been solid in that regard. Without them succeeding in this role, it would get ugly.

It would be nice to have yet another top-4 LD, one that is defense-first to take hard minutes away from Hughes and OEL to free them up offensively, but where are we going to find that?

This is not breaking news but this defense is composed terribly. We'll have to wait out / pay out some contracts before it's fixed.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'll preface by saying. I'm not interested in a Quinn bashing thread. Quinn is legit the future of our D corps. I'm here to talk about OEL. Since Quinn has been out OEL has taken a more offensive role and put up 2 goals something no D has been able to do this year and 3 assists for 5 points in the last 3 games or 4 points in the 2 games without Quinn slice it how you like. Is this man's talent's being wasted in a shut down role? I'd say it is. He is literally the only threat to shoot we have from the point on our team something we woefully lack. IMO a priority of Bruce/JR/Alvin's should be improving the quality of ice time we are getting Oliver. What do you think? How do we improve the quality of ice we get this man? Would it even improve the team overall?

I will say OEL very much reminds me of Edler in the sense that he is very much under appreciated for everything he brings to the table. I'd hate to see him solely judged on his point totals given the role he's been playing for us. 

You are 100% right, his talent is absolutely being wasted in a shutdown role. He's a great skater and shooter, and he's in a shutdown role because there's literally nobody else capable. 

Chaos Giraffe needs to go and we need a stay at home defenseman to partner with OEL. Maybe if Hamonic is coming back he could be a good partner for him. 

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Hamonic
Trainwreck-Pair

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

This is the Problems that Benning stacked the team with.

Offensive LHD, 1st Cs… He solved the 1st goalie issue and created two other.

What are you even saying? Yep sure is a bum rap that JB traded Player Name, Beagle, Roussel, Guenther, for a 2 way #2D and CFG.  

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

What are you even saying? Yep sure is a bum rap that JB traded Player Name, Beagle, Roussel, Guenther, for a 2 way #2D and CFG.  

Losing Tanev (though based on his injury history it made sense) was a big step back. Poolman signing was a step back, and Hamonic was some bad luck. OEL was a step forward, but a bit expensive unless he's going to be unleashed like he has been these past 2 games. 

Best case scenario, Myers gets moved and cap space is used to acquire a shutdown defenseman who blocks shots and hangs back, to play with OEL. 

It's clear to everyone that OEL is being used in a shut-down role, as he's much better equipped to play that role than Hughes. Although I understand that we don't really have any shut-down Dmen, I still think that OEL needs to share the offensive role more with Quinn, as OEL can put up mad points, if given the chance. But, at the same time, Hughes is also becoming a defensive dynamo, so there's that. 

Really, we just need two really solid defensive dmen to play with both Hughes and OEL.

• Cheers 1

As mentioned, we need to have stable defensive D (Maybe Schneider would become one if we acquire him) so that OEL can play a bit more offence.  The short term thing that should happen is to have OEL and Hughes on PP1.  The both serve a different purpose and should both be there.  That may mean that Miller, Petey and Boeser are the forwards and Horvat goes to improve PP2, or maybe this is solved if Miller is traded and Bo stays there.  

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

Boudreau recently said he wished OEL was more like 4 years ago.  He was commenting on Myers-OEL being good defensively but wished they contributed more offensively.  

For Boudreau the best Ds are solid both offensively and defensively - he doesn't think it should be a trade-off and gives Tampa as example.  On one of the shows during his break from coaching he talked of how Fowler was good at both ends of the ice.  In Minnesota Spurgeon and Suter played the toughest matchups and excelled at both ends.  The Wild were actually one of the highest scoring D-corps while being one of the best defensively under Boudreau.

11 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

As mentioned, we need to have stable defensive D men (Maybe Schneider would become one if we acquire him) so that OEL can play a bit more offence.  To be the short term thing that should happen is to have OEL and Hughes on PP1.  The both serve a different purpose and should both be there.  That may mean that Miller, Petey and Boeser are the forwards and Horvat goes to improve PP2, or maybe this is solved if Miller is traded and Bo stays there.  

Not according to Boudreau - he has another puck mover at the top of his wish list.

49 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Too early and it was just one year of the three veterans.

OEL and Hughes is the same.

We needed something else.

Just now, hammertime said:

And yet doesn't call Rathbone up after he just put up 5 points day before placing Quinn in protocol....... Hmmm 

Likely because he's not NHL ready.  Myers-OEL can do well defensively together but could either do well with a rookie on the other side - not sure.   

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Likely because he's not NHL ready.  Myers-OEL can do well defensively together but could either do well with a rookie on the other side - not sure.   

I mean he's a PPG defenceman in the AHL he's 22 it's not like he's Jordan Subban get the guy a cup of coffee hasn't he earned it?  

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I mean he's a PPG defenceman in the AHL he's 22 it's not like he's Jordan Subban get the guy a cup of coffee hasn't he earned it?  

Has to work on his defensive game.  Boudreau wants to win and so do the players.  

Guerin always says that they want prospects to become difference makers, not just guys who play in the NHL.  He insists that development happens in the AHL where they will get to play in all situations.   I suspect that his strong stance on the importance of the AHL comes from Pittsburgh/Rutherford.  Allvin did talk of the importance of the AHL in his opening presser.

I agree with your ta weke.

Fill the remaining two spots with cheaper two-way guys. I'd like to see..

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - X

X - Burroughs

I also agree with the other poster to get rid of Chaos Giraffe. He tries to make plays and be offensive, but I'd love for that to be solely dedicated to QH and OEL. It would also save us a ton of cap yet not lose much on the ice aside from his toughness.

Just now, mll said:

Has to work on his defensive game.  Boudreau wants to win and so do the players.  

Guerin always says that they want prospects to become difference makers, not just guys who play in the NHL.  He insists that development happens in the AHL where they will get to play in all situations.   I suspect that his strong stance on the importance of the AHL comes from Pittsburgh/Rutherford.  Allvin did talk of the importance of the AHL in his opening presser.

Worse defensively than Hunt or Juulsen was vs NYI? I mean I hear what you're saying but you gotta reward the guy for putting in work. It's not like he's putting up a minus 24 like Quinn did last year. Call him up get him a payday. Have an opportunity for growth and learning. You don't have to play him 20 mins get the kid some 5v5 and a lil pp2 action. If I'm him I'm starting to lose hope of being a player for the canucks. He could have stayed in college like his buddy Fox and gone anywhere he wanted instead he signed here to be treated like garbage. I'd probably ask for a trade outa here if I'm him. 

OEL needs to be the trigger man on the power play. Not Petey, not freaking Horvat, and certainly not Hughes. 

Hughes main priority should be to create space for others but I don’t want him quarterbacking at the point. Perhaps along the half wall. 

OEL gets shots through and has a deceptively wicked shot. Miller needs to not be the play

Driver as more often than not he makes that real head scratching, facepalm pass that completely ruins the momentum. 

As for 5 on 5, I would love OEL to be paired up alongside Schenn. Have Schenn focus on the shutdown which would allow OEL to take more opportunities offensively. OEL can obviously also hold his own defensively so it wouldn’t be one sided at all. 

OEL can easily put up 50-60 points. His deployments been absolutely wack. IMO, it seems his deployment got worse under this new regime. 

Also, Myers needs to play less. It seems

hes getting burnout or whatever. He doesn’t need to be playing 24+ mins a night. Leave that up to OEL and Hughes.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

One more thought on Rathbone...... 

You don't develop a guy like that by trying to turn him into Chris Tanev. Maybe the reason we can't develop anyone on our farm is because we are trying to turn players into something they aren't instead of encouraging and rewarding them for being the players they are and improving upon the skills that got them drafted in the first place.