The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OEL's Deployment

Rate this topic

hammertime

11 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

No, Hamonic is a enigma at the moment but a lot of this depends on the outcome of his status and it's a pretty big one considering he's in a 2nd pairing spot. In the meantime he will help us defensively and we need it! 

MAYBE, personally I'm more than satisfied with what Schenn and Myers have provided for us, and if we can find a taker, his $3 million should be moved.  
If any of Motte/ Miller/ Halak gets moved, I'd rather see what we have in Juulsen and Burroughs, and if either Ham or Poolman can be moved it can free up some needed cap space.  Easily taking that over a bunch of missed games.

I’m just glad this trade panned out. I was happy when it was made but was a bit concerned with OEL. This guy plays like a legit number 2 Dman.

This was a great trade for the Canucks. 
One of JB’s better moves. This and the Miller trade are pretty awesome. 

If only JB had the quick ability to react to the disastrous start to fire Green and hire Boudreau. He would still have had his job and this team would be much higher in the standings…

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

You are 100% right, his talent is absolutely being wasted in a shutdown role. He's a great skater and shooter, and he's in a shutdown role because there's literally nobody else capable. 

Chaos Giraffe needs to go and we need a stay at home defenseman to partner with OEL. Maybe if Hamonic is coming back he could be a good partner for him. 

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Hamonic
Trainwreck-Pair

Chaos Giraffe, that's pretty good.  He's fine until he finds himself out of position then he skates like Bambi

You are right though, this isn't what Benning planned when he picked up OEL.  Both he and Hughes need partners who play a defense first game.  The difference will be striking because we have seen in the last 2 games how good OEL can be.   

The 3rd pair can be made up of Rathbone, Buroughs, Juulson, Schenn moving forward

8 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

You are 100% right, his talent is absolutely being wasted in a shutdown role. He's a great skater and shooter, and he's in a shutdown role because there's literally nobody else capable. 

Chaos Giraffe needs to go and we need a stay at home defenseman to partner with OEL. Maybe if Hamonic is coming back he could be a good partner for him. 

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Hamonic
Trainwreck-Pair

If a nickname suited a player better than Chaos-Giraffe, it has to be honey badger. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

Worse defensively than Hunt or Juulsen was vs NYI? I mean I hear what you're saying but you gotta reward the guy for putting in work. It's not like he's putting up a minus 24 like Quinn did last year. Call him up get him a payday. Have an opportunity for growth and learning. You don't have to play him 20 mins get the kid some 5v5 and a lil pp2 action. If I'm him I'm starting to lose hope of being a player for the canucks. He could have stayed in college like his buddy Fox and gone anywhere he wanted instead he signed here to be treated like garbage. I'd probably ask for a trade outa here if I'm him. 

wait hows he being treated like garbage? nothing wrong with spending time in the AHL

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Chaos Giraffe, that's pretty good.  He's fine until he finds himself out of position then he skates like Bambi

You are right though, this isn't what Benning planned when he picked up OEL.  Both he and Hughes need partners who play a defense first game.  The difference will be striking because we have seen in the last 2 games how good OEL can be.   

The 3rd pair can be made up of Rathbone, Buroughs, Juulson, Schenn moving forward

Yeah absolutely. Schenn has definitely exceeded expectations, and part of that is Quinn has really figured out his defensive game. For his size, its really impressive. I think those two are alright, but obviously Schenn is not a long term solution.

I think Benning was banking on Poolman being a poor mans Tanev, and having Hamonic would have meant 2 reliable stay at home defensemen to play with Hughes and OEL. Instead Hamonic is off doing something, and Poolman is beyond useless defensively. 

The blue line is really fixable, but Myers is in the way. 

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah absolutely. Schenn has definitely exceeded expectations, and part of that is Quinn has really figured out his defensive game. For his size, its really impressive. I think those two are alright, but obviously Schenn is not a long term solution.

I think Benning was banking on Poolman being a poor mans Tanev, and having Hamonic would have meant 2 reliable stay at home defensemen to play with Hughes and OEL. Instead Hamonic is off doing something, and Poolman is beyond useless defensively. 

You're probably right about Poolman and Hamonic.   Hamonic is a game time decision v the Leafs so we'll see. He has been mostly ok when healthy but I can't describe how I feel about the other nonsense that kept him out of the line up for the longest time.  Can Hamonic be an actual #4 when healthy?  My God I hope so.  That would be one less massive piece of the puzzle to fill.  

In hindsight, I think that Benning's pro scouting intel was based on how certain players were doing years ago, if not, in Junior before they were drafted.  Clearly JR is insisting on a full pro scouting dept as well as an amateur scouting dept.  Welcome to the big leagues Francesco

Edited by Crabcakes

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

OEL is being deployed like he was in Arizona his last season there.  He took the harder minutes so Chychscrub could get the PP and easier minutes.  Now Chychscrub sucks lad socks.  He can’t put up points and he’s a minus BIG NUMBER.  

OEL played sheltered minutes last season.  Chychrun played the toughest matchups.  It's pretty easily verifiable with how there were so few opponents.  Using Colorado.  Chychrun played 60 minutes against MacKinnon.  OEL played 18 minutes in the same number of games.  This season Chychrun is left playing with rookie and 3rd pairing Ds as Goligoski moved on.   They've also downgraded their roster and in goal.  Armstrong confirmed to LeBrun that they are in a tear down rebuild.

18 minutes ago, mll said:

OEL played sheltered minutes last season.  Chychrun played the toughest matchups.  It's pretty easily verifiable with how there were so few opponents.  Using Colorado.  Chychrun played 60 minutes against MacKinnon.  OEL played 18 minutes in the same number of games.  This season Chychrun is left playing with rookie and 3rd pairing Ds as Goligoski moved on.   They've also downgraded their roster and in goal.  Armstrong confirmed to LeBrun that they are in a tear down rebuild.

except for Chychrun and Keller the poor schmucks

Its a great point.

When OEL's on the PP it feels like he's the only shooting option. Miller is more a playmaker & Horvat on his off wing isn't a great option. If you put Miller on the far side & Petey in the one-timer spot - well he doesn't always shoot either. 

Hughes is incredible but I'd say his biggest weakness is getting shots through traffic (which is a problem since the other options don't shoot enough), and that just happens to be OEL's biggest strength. Its hard to demote Hughes, but its something to consider.

At the very least OEL provides a different skillset than Quinn (less agility to walk the line, arguably quicker puck movement, better shot) so maybe its worth switching it up here & there. 

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

You're probably right about Poolman and Hamonic.   Hamonic is a game time decision v the Leafs so we'll see. He has been mostly ok when healthy but I can't describe how I feel about the other nonsense that kept him out of the line up for the longest time.  Can Hamonic be an actual #4 when healthy?  My God I hope so.  That would be one less massive piece of the puzzle to fill.  

In hindsight, I think that Benning's pro scouting intel was based on how certain players were doing years ago, if not, in Junior before they were drafted.  Clearly JR is insisting on a full pro scouting dept as well as an amateur scouting dept.  Welcome to the big leagues Francesco

The good thing about bringing back Hamonic is OEL is so competent defensively that I think they'll work brilliantly together. Hamonic doesnt have to be a Willie Mitchell or Tanev to support OEL. And Schenn works well with Hughes. 

Definitely think you're right - something was wrong with Benning's pro scouting. Some of his trades though were excellent - JT Miller trade, Highmore trade, Lamikko trade,

On 2/11/2022 at 7:47 PM, eeeeergh said:

disagree with the last part, Myershas the size intangible and you know we're going to need that eventually unless we find another bigger Dman in his place, the season can rock the show but when it's rough in the playoff's, it's no place for softness which we've seen for years. Do we have a cup? no.. and that has a lot to do with it. 

Until we match size and skill, throughout the whole roster, nothing is going to change. 

The only difference has been that OEL is on the powerplay more and he's playing more with our top forwards, whereas before he was primarily playing defensive hockey with Myers. I think OEL has changed up our powerplay for the best. When Hughes is our QB out there he's fantastic at passing the puck and skating around but he doesn't get shots through the way OEL does. 

Honestly I think we should go with 2 up top, having OEL who can send half-slap shots straight though and Hughes who can control the puck and set him up would be huge. Having just 1 point man has stagnated a lot when Hughes is on the ice because no one shoots through all the traffic.

The Canucks best PP came with Ehrhoff and Salo on the point, and we've got a chance to re-create that right now. 

As for during the 5-on-5 play, it'd be nice to see OEL jumping up in the rush a bit more but he's usually out there against opposing team's top lines so I'd be happy if he sacrifices some points for the greater good of our team. The team will play better if OEL and Myers are a fantastic shutdown pairing while Hughes goes out there hunting for points, rather than having both Hughes and OEL gambling offensively and then our shutdown pair getting shredded when OEL gets caught up ice and Myers is defending odd-man rushes.