The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OEL's Deployment

Rate this topic

hammertime

I've been saying this for a while. Hughes needs to share some of those premium offensive minutes with OEL, he's made a career of producing offense and while he's great in a shutdown role we're wasting his offensive game by pigeonholing him into that role. 

Also, play them together on the powerplay. Let Hughes play rover, he's basically a forward/D hybrid anyway. Put OEL on the point. There's absolutely no reason we HAVE to run four forwards.  

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'll preface by saying. I'm not interested in a Quinn bashing thread. Quinn is legit the future of our D corps. I'm here to talk about OEL. Since Quinn has been out OEL has taken a more offensive role and put up 2 goals something no D has been able to do this year and 3 assists for 5 points in the last 3 games or 4 points in the 2 games without Quinn slice it how you like. Is this man's talent's being wasted in a shut down role? I'd say it is. He is literally the only threat to shoot we have from the point on our team something we woefully lack. IMO a priority of Bruce/JR/Alvin's should be improving the quality of ice time we are getting Oliver. What do you think? How do we improve the quality of ice we get this man? Would it even improve the team overall?

I will say OEL very much reminds me of Edler in the sense that he is very much under appreciated for everything he brings to the table. I'd hate to see him solely judged on his point totals given the role he's been playing for us. 

I'll say that had we kept Edler instead of Hamonic or signing Poolman, we could have afford to free up OEL for more offensive situations.

Without any good LD behind QH and OEL, OEL will have to eat up those minutes and yes, his offensive talents are severely being wasted on this team.

OEL-Myers

QH-Schenn

Edler-Poolman

I'll say that we have a chance to make the playoffs if we can go out and trade for a player that can eat up defensive minutes. Kinda like the guys that we used to have like, Edler and Tanev.

Letting go of Edler was fine but you had to have a replacement plan. OEL does not replace Edler. They do different things well and defends very differently.

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I've been saying this for a while. Hughes needs to share some of those premium offensive minutes with OEL, he's made a career of producing offense and while he's great in a shutdown role we're wasting his offensive game by pigeonholing him into that role. 

Also, play them together on the powerplay. Let Hughes play rover, he's basically a forward/D hybrid anyway. Put OEL on the point. There's absolutely no reason we HAVE to run four forwards.  

Yeah QH can be like Patrick Kane on our PP. OEL to man the point like Duncan Keith did for the Hawks.

Just now, khay said:

Yeah QH can be like Patrick Kane on our PP. OEL to man the point like Duncan Keith did for the Hawks.

Having Hughes whizz around on the powerplay may also give the powerplay a bit of an unpredictable element, something it could definitely use. Hughes can set guys up as good as anyone, and his point totals reflect that. But he's not a shooting threat, OEL is. Hughes has improved defensively this year, but his shot definitely needs work. 

We could use a legit point threat, and OEL fits that role better than Hughes or Boeser. If the worst happens and you need a guy scrambling back defensively OEL's as good as anyone as we've got on the team. 

We could definitely use some better D to back up Hughes and OEL, though I don't think Myers has been as awful as some make him out to have been. We need replacements for him and Hamonic sooner than later, but that's easier said than done. 

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Having Hughes whizz around on the powerplay may also give the powerplay a bit of an unpredictable element, something it could definitely use. Hughes can set guys up as good as anyone, and his point totals reflect that. But he's not a shooting threat, OEL is. Hughes has improved defensively this year, but his shot definitely needs work. 

We could use a legit point threat, and OEL fits that role better than Hughes or Boeser. If the worst happens and you need a guy scrambling back defensively OEL's as good as anyone as we've got on the team. 

We could definitely use some better D to back up Hughes and OEL, though I don't think Myers has been as awful as some make him out to have been. We need replacements for him and Hamonic sooner than later, but that's easier said than done. 

OEL is very deceptive with the puck, which makes it hard for the defender. He could shoot or he could pass. The motion that he uses before making a pass is very similar to the motion he uses before taking a shot.

Also very deceptive with edgework. Not clear which direction he's going.

I think OEL adds a deceptive element to our PP. 

I'd set up QH as roamer like you suggested to make plays. 

Miller

QH-Boeser-EP

OEL

Horvat and Garland on the 2nd PP.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

OEL has put up two 20+ goal seasons and four others where he scored 10+. Not many defencemen in the last 10 years have scored as many goals as he has. He obviously has a knack for scoring but he's not being utilized the right way here right now.

For a team that is struggling so much to score, we would be better served to find the right usage for him offensively.

Only if we had a better defensive left shot defenceman...

5 minutes ago, khay said:

OEL is very deceptive with the puck, which makes it hard for the defender. He could shoot or he could pass. The motion that he uses before making a pass is very similar to the motion he uses before taking a shot.

Also very deceptive with edgework. Not clear which direction he's going.

I think OEL adds a deceptive element to our PP. 

I'd set up QH as roamer like you suggested to make plays. 

Miller

QH-Boeser-EP

OEL

Horvat and Garland on the 2nd PP.

Good points, you were clearly paying closer attention to OEL than I was.. haha. But yeah, I'd take that setup for sure. 

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'll preface by saying. I'm not interested in a Quinn bashing thread. Quinn is legit the future of our D corps. I'm here to talk about OEL. Since Quinn has been out OEL has taken a more offensive role and put up 2 goals something no D has been able to do this year and 3 assists for 5 points in the last 3 games or 4 points in the 2 games without Quinn slice it how you like. Is this man's talent's being wasted in a shut down role? I'd say it is. He is literally the only threat to shoot we have from the point on our team something we woefully lack. IMO a priority of Bruce/JR/Alvin's should be improving the quality of ice time we are getting Oliver. What do you think? How do we improve the quality of ice we get this man? Would it even improve the team overall?

I will say OEL very much reminds me of Edler in the sense that he is very much under appreciated for everything he brings to the table. I'd hate to see him solely judged on his point totals given the role he's been playing for us. 

I think it bodes really well if we can focus and fix the right side of our D core.  OEL being used as a shut down guy is working against his strengths.  He has been really pretty solid defensively for being a square peg in a round hole.  I can't complain at all about how the coaching staff is using him, because they just don't have any other options.  Hughes is just better offensively, and would have a harder time with the toughest defensive match ups.  We don't have a shut down pairing that could take the hardest match up minutes either.

If you swap his partner up for a Tanev/Willie Mitchell type then we suddenly have two top LD who can score a bunch.  Offence we may lose by sending out Miller/Boeser could be mostly taken up by whoever replaces them in the lineup plus added offence from the back end.  Another option is to have a 3rd pairing that is high end defensively to throw out there in place of OEL-Myers.

• Vintage 1

Honestly for 5v5, if Myers sticks with OEL, if I'm Boudreau I'd want them to alternate in who rushes up ice and who stays back.  While they're an elite shutdown pair, that doesn't mean that they both need to hang back.  Great pairings like Hamhuis - Bieksa had one defensive stalwart (Hammer) and one guy roaming forward (Juice).  If OEL is the guy who goes up, Myers has shown at least glimpses of being able to lock things down in his own end, both with physicality and good stickwork. 

Hughes - Schenn is one working pair, while OEL - Myers is another.  They just need to find a good partner for whoever of Burroughs/ Poolman/ Juulsen wins the 3rd RHD spot.
Re: the PP, agreed that they can probably have OEL run the 1st unit from time to time.  He's got a good shot (better than Hughes) and is also smart.  If they let Quinn run PP2, maybe his dynamic skating can enable him to generate more chances as a rover (pair him with a defensive guy on this unit).  

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

Scoring for the D is always helpful BUT imo if a team NEEDS to depend on that then we're in trouble, I'd rather have a D who can help keep the puck out of the net so we don't NEED scoring from the D at all. That being said, it's our entire team defence that needs work. hopefully BB is working on that with the guys though and we tighten up and not have to rely on Demko so much either.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

To VAN:

Moritz Seider

To DET:

Quinn Hughes

Opens up space for Rathbone to finally move up and we won't need Schneider anymore lol

I wouldn't do it if I'm Yzerman Edvinsson Sieder is the future Hughes doesn't make them better. Love Hughes but Sieder gives them way better balance.  

25 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Honestly for 5v5, if Myers sticks with OEL, if I'm Boudreau I'd want them to alternate in who rushes up ice and who stays back.  While they're an elite shutdown pair, that doesn't mean that they both need to hang back.  Great pairings like Hamhuis - Bieksa had one defensive stalwart (Hammer) and one guy roaming forward (Juice).  If OEL is the guy who goes up, Myers has shown at least glimpses of being able to lock things down in his own end, both with physicality and good stickwork. 

Hughes - Schenn is one working pair, while OEL - Myers is another.  They just need to find a good partner for whoever of Burroughs/ Poolman/ Juulsen wins the 3rd RHD spot.
Re: the PP, agreed that they can probably have OEL run the 1st unit from time to time.  He's got a good shot (better than Hughes) and is also smart.  If they let Quinn run PP2, maybe his dynamic skating can enable him to generate more chances as a rover (pair him with a defensive guy on this unit).  

Well sounds like Hamonic will be back shortly so that will definately help out cause..

Just now, hammertime said:

I wouldn't do it if I'm Yzerman Edvinsson Sieder is the future Hughes doesn't make them better. Love Hughes but Sieder gives them way better balance.  

I agree... Detroit is well on their way.  Yzerman is a heckuva GM.

15 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well sounds like Hamonic will be back shortly so that will definately help out cause..

Are you considering Hamonic as OEL's long-term partner?
If that's the case, I wonder where Myers goes (Hughes and Schenn are doing well, and Myers on 3rd pair would be quite expensive). 

Edited by Phil_314

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Are you considering Hamonic as OEL's long-term partner?
If that's the case, I wonder where Myers goes (Hughes and Schenn are doing well, and Myers on 3rd pair would be quite expensive). 

No, Hamonic is a enigma at the moment but a lot of this depends on the outcome of his status and it's a pretty big one considering he's in a 2nd pairing spot. In the meantime he will help us defensively and we need it!