The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Toronto Maple Leafs at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

If only 90% of this roster gave as much effort as Demko.

Don't want to complain about a win, especially against the Leafs, but some of the players on this team are straight up embarrassing with their lack of effort, care and attention to detail.

Don't worry change is coming and SOON!

Edited by RU SERIOUS

4 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I obviously can't comment on her management abilities but definately agree with you on her poor performance as Scout for the Crak-Heads.     She certainly missed the boat down there.   No matter we all have to give her a chance because maybe there are things we aren't aware of in regards to her tenure in seattle.    Time will tell - until then she has a clean slate with us!

They were sunk on goaltending.  Team is better built than their record suggests but their goalies have been extremely poor.  

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There would be 60 minutes of coverage if the Leafs won I bet. 

...but isn't it nice that we not only beat the laffs, but right in the middle of primetime on a Saturday night.   Perfect way to ruin their weekend!   They wanted that 4:00pm start and boy they got it!  Next time start the game at a normal 7:00pm.   I hate being drunk by 6:30 !

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, nergish said:

Missed the game, just caught the extended highlights. 

Man, oh man. I don’t think I’m just being a homer anymore in saying that Demko deserves Vezina consideration.

I hope the rest of the league is taking notice of what he’s doing right now.

Give him the Hart

Edited by J-23
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

I was a big Hoglander fan and really wanted to see him succeed, but for whatever reason he is dragging down every line he's on. Petey would have had at least 1 maybe 2 points if Hoglander could finish. 

yes, he looks like another casualty amongst all the other players that regressed under green - "the killer of hopes & dreams" !

Hopefully BB can get him back on his feet because he sure used to be a good player when he first got here like Petterson, Boeser, and many others that lost their abilities and were damaged under the previous green "Reign of Terror".

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, nergish said:

Missed the game, just caught the extended highlights. 

Man, oh man. I don’t think I’m just being a homer anymore in saying that Demko deserves Vezina consideration.

I hope the rest of the league is taking notice of what he’s doing right now.

Consideration for sure but I think the Vezina is Marky's. He has so many shutouts this year.

16 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

Nice stat but he made some terrible passes tonight

Yea he had one especially terrible shift in the third. Made two poor turnovers.

Forgiven a bit because he scored but ideally you want players that score and make smart plays. 

Im thinking if they’re looking at trading someone from the core Boeser might be the guy. 

He’s gonna get paid like a 30 goal scorer despite not reaching that level anymore. His passing game, while improved, leaves a lot to be desired. And his two way play and speed are somewhat of a weakness.

If JR and co put an emphasis on speed, he’s the weak link there.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yea he had one especially terrible shift in the third. Made two poor turnovers.

Forgiven a bit because he scored but ideally you want players that score and make smart plays. 

Im thinking if they’re looking at trading someone from the core Boeser might be the guy. 

He’s gonna get paid like a 30 goal scorer despite not reaching that level anymore. His passing game, while improved, leaves a lot to be desired. And his two way play and speed are somewhat of a weakness.

If this JR and co out an emphasis on speed, he’s the weak link there.

If there’s a good return for Brock,I’m ready to move on

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Demko continues to be our MVP, only reason we won 

We didn't deserve that win, they outclassed us 

Canucks cleared a lot of rebounds away for Demmer. The Leafs not so much for their ‘tender. I think we need to give some credit to the team for that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Consideration for sure but I think the Vezina is Marky's. He has so many shutouts this year.

Lol shutout means nothing... markstrom right now is not even top 3 for the vezina.. with all his shutouts he's not even top 3 in gaa sv% that shows u he's either really good in some games and really mediocre in others... at this point it's shesterkins vezina to lose... more wins lower gaa way higher sv%.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Yeah, Lammi wasn't doing well under Green. 

No one was.  Green ruined everything and everybody he touched.   All our young stars regressed under him and what did Jim B do last year - resign him?   No wonder JB got fired.   A blind monkey could tell you that green was a nothing more than a glorified AHL coach and was unfit for duty! 

47 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not on that contract. For all the flack Benning gets at times (some well deserved) his management group hit that contract out of the park. 

But I would say Vasi's better, he'd not just the product of a great team. If you talk to Lightning fans they'll tell you about how he's consistently bailing his team out, that team is a juggernaut in part because of how dominant Vasi is. And there's no arguing his dominance, his record speaks for itself. 

I'd argue Gibson's right there with Demko, he's just often overlooked because he's in Anaheim. He's a huge part of why an Anaheim team I wouldn't have expected to be where it is at this point is where it is. He's done what Demko's been doing for us this season for years. 

Shesterkin's been great this season but he doesn't have much of a track record to go off at the NHL level. 

Lol if shesterkin doesn't have much of a track record to go off at the NHL level.. then same can be said of demko who have what 25 more games played? Both have been great but save % wise shesterkins been on another level since entering the league 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

I was at the game and couldn’t believe all the Leaf fans in there. They outnumbered us Canuck fans and were way louder. :picard:

I lost my voice trying to tip the noise balance back in our favour!

Same here!  We had a good swath of Canucks fans in our section to drown out the Leaf fans but overall I think there were much more Leaf fans.  The mystifying part is that only STH's got to attend that game and don't tell me that many of our STH's are Leafs fans, so what it does tell me is that alot of STH's sold their tickets off. 

That speaks volumes and tells you what type of fan base we really have.  I would have expected hardly any Leaf fans tonight and the complete opposite happened.  Think about that for a minute!   

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 2
  • Sad 1

First of course, Demko was the only reason the Canucks won this game... rest of the team, (excluding Motte) didn't deserve it.

Man I hate this freakin' collapse to the net that the Canucks do.... this is the same bad habit they developed during Green's tenure.

They have to be more aggressive in contesting the blueline and their man on man coverage... especially 5 on 5.

Right now the only guy who is aggressive defensively 5 on 5 is Motte.  In fact as far as I'm concerned, Motte should have gotten 2nd star in this game.  He saved a couple goals with his backchecks and his shot/assist on the Lammiko goal was the key.

BB, you gotta get these guys being more aggressive and stop with this collapse to the net and surrendering the blue line.

By the way, not sure I like having Miller on the wing with Horvat at center.... reason why>>> Because that means our faceoff win percentage goes in the toilet because our two best faceoff winners are on the same line.  Anyone notice the Leafs won 55% of the faceoffs, and a higher percentage when it was important???

Yeah, yeah, it is great to beat the Leafs... but this was not a win which I take pride in... it was only the fact we have a goaltender who is one of the best that allowed it to happen.  And it is impossible even for Demko to keep up that kind of performance... a goalie can't make 50 saves night after night.

This game was a win... but the Canucks can't keep playing like this.

• Vintage 2

4 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I will repeat for you what I said later in this thread. I think there are too many egos in the new management group and there will be problems. I think Pro scout Granato did a terrible job with the Kraken as well. We shall see what this management group does.

She is going to use her extensive hockey knowledge & intuition to scout for the intangibles like hockey sense, social maturity, intelligence, character & heart - as well as for skill - so there are no more Virtanens in the lot. 

She will also be involved in player development - to make sure the team & this city has reps we can all be proud of win or lose.

We will all feel even better about praising, revering & cheering-on a team like that to be Champions - and they will be!   

Edited by viking mama