The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Toronto Maple Leafs at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

And by the way, I have never seen so much running around in the D-Zone as I saw tonight... just pathetic.  The Leafs were playing with them.

If anyone wants to know how to run an offensive system, watch the Leafs and their D-zone exits and A-zone entries.

Watch the game again and you can see all the fluid motion the Leafs show... all the criss-crossing, the positioning to take drop passes... the choreographed move to open ice by the non-puck carriers... followed by on the money passes.  The fact is, the Leafs have a beautiful offensive system and the players use it to the max.

What the Leafs don't do well is defend in their own zone... but to force them to defend you have to either maintain puck possession or pressure when you don't have it.

This Canucks team has a long way to go.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

And by the way, I have never seen so much running around in the D-Zone as I saw tonight... just pathetic.  The Leafs were playing with them.

If anyone wants to know how to run an offensive system, watch the Leafs and their D-zone exits and A-zone entries.

Watch the game again and you can see all the fluid motion the Leafs show... all the criss-crossing, the positioning to take drop passes... the choreographed move to open ice by the non-puck carriers... followed by on the money passes.  The fact is, the Leafs have a beautiful offensive system and the players use it to the max.

What the Leafs don't do well is defend in their own zone... but to force them to defend you have to either maintain puck possession or pressure when you don't have it.

Lol

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea he had one especially terrible shift in the third. Made two poor turnovers.

Forgiven a bit because he scored but ideally you want players that score and make smart plays. 

Im thinking if they’re looking at trading someone from the core Boeser might be the guy. 

He’s gonna get paid like a 30 goal scorer despite not reaching that level anymore. His passing game, while improved, leaves a lot to be desired. And his two way play and speed are somewhat of a weakness.

If JR and co put an emphasis on speed, he’s the weak link there.

Agree.  Brock served up several real tasty pizzas in the game.  Canucks are very lucky that 2 or 3 of them didn't result in goals against.

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

40 million for 4 players I would hope they at least play well in the offensive zone.

Didnt help them beat Demko.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Same here!  We had a good swath of Canucks fans in our section to drown out the Leaf fans but overall I think there were much more Leaf fans.  The mystifying part is that only STH's got to attend that game and don't tell me that many of our STH's are Leafs fans, so what it does tell me is that alot of STH's sold their tickets off. 

That speaks volumes and tells you what type of fan base we really have.  I would have expected hardly any Leaf fans tonight and the complete opposite happened.  Think about that for a minute!   

I hate it.

I know some STH's can make premium $$ from these HNIC/Leafs Saturday afternoon games but come on.....THOSE ARE THE GAMES YOU GO TO (all of them actually). It's truly sad, it does a huge disservice to our team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Did you just forget about the islanders game? Or are you predicting a win for next game?

my bad, although that was a good game to forget. let's keep it rolling next game!

Edited by Roberts
  • Vintage 1

I'll take a win against the leafs by any means. Demko stood on his head the entire night and bailed the team out.. toronto started showing up near the end of the 1st period and we were completely outclassed the rest of the game and it wasn't even close and it didn't even matter who we threw out there we were pinned inside our zone. The big boy teams this season looks like they are toying with us whenever they decide to step up their game =/ shows you how big of a gap right now between us and the elites.. I dont think it would make a difference defensively even if hughes was playing tonight. We were simply out matched and demko stole the 2 points for us.

Just now, -DLC- said:

I hate it.

I know some STH's can make premium $$ from these HNIC/Leafs Saturday afternoon games but come on.....THOSE ARE THE GAMES YOU GO TO (all of them actually). It's truly sad, it does a huge disservice to our team.

I had the same thought.

But then I thought well what if I had family or friends who were big Leafs fans? (:sick:)

The game would mean much more to them than to me who gets to see almost every home game. In that sense I could see why people would give them up.

The one’s doing it for profit are losers though.

Either way just more Leafs fans to watch their team lose. Would have been fun to be a Canucks fan there tonight!

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Same here!  We had a good swath of Canucks fans in our section to drown out the Leaf fans but overall I think there were much more Leaf fans.  The mystifying part is that only STH's got to attend that game and don't tell me that many of our STH's are Leafs fans, so what it does tell me is that alot of STH's sold their tickets off. 

That speaks volumes and tells you what type of fans base we really have.  I would have expected hardly any Leaf fans tonight and the complete opposite happened.  Think about that for a minute!   

Not true.

We have plenty of games to line-up for while Leaf-fans here will buy their tickets in bulk or at a premium - for one game only a year.

AND - this is the year that Leaf-fans have extremely high expectations for them. I WOULD have expected Leaf-fans in VanCity & the surrounding areas in western Canada to turn-out huge for this game. Single-seater ticket holders were omitted from the game, under the 50% Covid/restricted attendance requirement…and those tickets were basically homers & or would be walk-ups.  

Canucks Nation is holding its’ own in our hockey-world & in many other buildings around the league.

I just want Dr. Bonny to green-light full arenas, again, then we can talk about Canucks-fans and their loyalties more accurately. 

By the way, how’s the cost of living or property tax rate going everywhere else in Canada? Selling off a ticket to pay for your increased taxes at this time of year, I would not fault anyone for in this city, right now. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

But we all complained about how many games he missed to injury. Now, on the Flames he has become invincible. 

Definitely not all. He was finally staying healthier longer playing with much better d partners who could take a pass and exit the zone not throw it back behind the net constantly. And the protection equipment upgrades on skates and pads gave him the opportunity to remain the shot suppression king and stay healthy. I saw it turning in his last 2 years as a nuck and knew it was going to last.what burned me the most was fan’s opinions that he was asking more than he was worth after taking a team discount on his previous contract. Water under the bridge. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

The big boy teams this season looks like they are toying with us whenever they decide to step up their game =/ shows you how big of a gap right now between us and the elites.. I dont think it would make a difference defensively even if hughes was playing tonight. We were simply out matched and demko stole the 2 points for us.

I disagree.

I think this team can play a lot better defensively.... they need to focus on contesting the neutral zone better and being more aggressive in their 5 on 5 man on man coverage in the D-Zone.

Tonight was just CR*P defensively.

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The league has clearly shown they don't care if the refs openly rig games, as shown by the continued employment of Kelly Sutherland and Brad Meier.  Meanwhile, they fine coaches for calling out the refs for refusing to conduct themselves like professionals.  I don't think the league is going to hold problem refs accountable unless they're forced to by a judge.  An injured player would have a pretty good claim for criminal negligence against the NHL, and the gambling partners are likely to have grounds for a lawsuit if the league refuses to address the issue voluntarily.  At some point, Rutherford has to take the fine and advise the league that continuing to force us to play against 2 teams in the same game is not acceptable.  It's pretty sad that allowing the refs to disgrace the sport is common practice for the NHL, but the league needs to be publicly blasted until they figure it out.

We're at a point now where giving a ref the Steve Moore special is entirely justified.

We're second in the league in powerplay opportunities per game.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Definitely not all. He was finally staying healthier longer playing with much better d partners who could take a pass and exit the zone not throw it back behind the net constantly. And the protection equipment upgrades on skates and pads gave him the opportunity to remain the shot suppression king and stay healthy. I saw it turning in his last 2 years as a nuck and knew it was going to last.what burned me the most was fan’s opinions that he was asking more than he was worth after taking a team discount on his previous contract. Water under the bridge. 

And what is worse, is that Tanev is teaching the rest of the Flames D his defensive tricks... watch the rest of them... they are copying his style in the D-Zone.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The Leafs also move the puck well because they are fast and highly skilled, it's not their offensive system that makes Matthews an offensive shooting machine and gives Marner the ability to handle the puck on a string.  

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

I was a big Hoglander fan and really wanted to see him succeed, but for whatever reason he is dragging down every line he's on. Petey would have had at least 1 maybe 2 points if Hoglander could finish. 

there are many excuses for ep40 this session, this is a new one

2 minutes ago, Kovalchuk said:

The Leafs also move the puck well because they are fast and highly skilled, it's not their offensive system that makes Matthews an offensive shooting machine and gives Marner the ability to handle the puck on a string.  

Hockey is not a game of individuals.. it is a team game... and how the players interact determines their success.  Sure, a superstar can take the puck end to end every once in a while, but unless he is on the same page as the rest of the team and the rest of the team is working with him, that team doesn't win games.

Marner and Mathews are a partnership... but its not just them... you see the same style of play with Nylander and Tavares and the the Leafs defense.  They all play the same fluid interchanging positionally style... they are continually rotating positions and passing off.

That is why they are so successful offensively, not because Marner or Mathews picks up the puck and pulls off an individual effort.

Look at the number of shots that Mathews/Tavares/Marner/etc. had in the game tonight... if Boeser had that many opportunities then he'd be scoring a lot more.

The Leafs generated 50 shots because they are able to create open spaces for shots with their fluid movement.