The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Toronto Maple Leafs at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I loathe Toronto. But their top 6 forwards are dangerous. They didn't just get a lot of shots against Vancouver, they got a lot of shots against Calgary who you could argue have a better defence, and a goalie on par with Demko. But the strategy of playing high octane offence to outscore your opponents doesn't work. That's why they've lost back to back. 

I completely agree. I'm not trying to make the Leafs out to be some juggernaut, despite them being dangerous.

I just wasn't impressed by our game tonight, I don't believe wins are above criticism just because they're wins. You take the two points and run, but there's a lot to improve on.

Hats off to Demko for stealing two points.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Hoglander missed a complete gimme shot 10 feet in front of the net tonight... set up by Pettersson.

Seems to do this every night lately a couple times actually ... Hogs EP Podz would be a lot more dangerous if the finish was there ... Hoglander is for sure getting his chances to score ... at the very least it's nice to see EP get his mojo back. 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Seems to do this every night lately a couple times actually ... Hogs EP Podz would be a lot more dangerous if the finish was there ... Hoglander is for sure getting his chances to score ... at the very least it's nice to see EP get his mojo back. 

Petey and Podkolzin need to play with someone who can finish.  A pure goal scorer.  Klimovich may be that guy.  Zacha is pretty clinical so that is why they may be looking at him.  Zacha has one hell of a shot.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Hockey is not a game of individuals.. it is a team game... and how the players interact determines their success.  Sure, a superstar can take the puck end to end every once in a while, but unless he is on the same page as the rest of the team and the rest of the team is working with him, that team doesn't win games.

Marner and Mathews are a partnership... but its not just them... you see the same style of play with Nylander and Tavares and the the Leafs defense.  They all play the same fluid interchanging positionally style... they are continually rotating positions and passing off.

That is why they are so successful offensively, not because Marner or Mathews picks up the puck and pulls off an individual effort.

Look at the number of shots that Mathews/Tavares/Marner/etc. had in the game tonight... if Boeser had that many opportunities then he'd be scoring a lot more.

The Leafs generated 50 shots because they are able to create open spaces for shots with their fluid movement.

The Leafs played fast because they play well as a team.  Puck moves faster than anyone can ever skate. And even when they carry the puck in, they seem to take the puck to the blue line, then hit the guy coming in at full speed so they gain the zone easier.

We've got a long way to go to play like that. Having Hughes would have helped us a lot in that regards as he can carry the puck out of our zone, giving the forwards time to wind up and he can make a pass to a forward skating up the ice with speed. 

Without Hughes, it was just puck going to a forward that was stationary and the guy has no option but to dump it in.

We got outplayed but we hung on pretty well. Gave up some chances but Demko shut the door and forwards were helping the defence out quite well.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey and Podkolzin need to play with someone who can finish.  A pure goal scorer.  Klimovich may be that guy.  Zacha is pretty clinical so that is why they may be looking at him.  Zacha has one hell of a shot.

At least it looks like things are getting better, that line has looked good most nights.    Not sure about Miller with Horvat and Brock but it sure helped with a quick start. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

Boeser was the worst player on the ice. Terrible passes, terrible giveaways, missed shots and some which he fanned on but am more pissed about his passing. Dude passes the puck to the boards instead of passing it to his teammates. Its either passing behind or very far ahead of his teammate which drove me nuts. Thought he was blind for a moment. I really hope JR trades Boeser and keeps Miller and Horvat. His qualifying offer is not worth his play on ice and he is very slow. Canucks can get a better player for that top 6 imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

At least it looks like things are getting better, that line has looked good most nights.    Not sure about Miller with Horvat and Brock but it sure helped with a quick start. 

Horvat and Miller is fine, Boeser is complete trash. He is very slow and a very bad passer and he is not shooting like his rookie year. Canucks will get some value back by trading him now. I just hope they dont re-sign him.

20 minutes ago, khay said:

The Leafs played fast because they play well as a team.  Puck moves faster than anyone can ever skate. And even when they carry the puck in, they seem to take the puck to the blue line, then hit the guy coming in at full speed so they gain the zone easier.

We've got a long way to go to play like that. Having Hughes would have helped us a lot in that regards as he can carry the puck out of our zone, giving the forwards time to wind up and he can make a pass to a forward skating up the ice with speed. 

Without Hughes, it was just puck going to a forward that was stationary and the guy has no option but to dump it in.

We got outplayed but we hung on pretty well. Gave up some chances but Demko shut the door and forwards were helping the defence out quite well.

Now people can see the value in Hughes. None of our D can skate the puck out of trouble like he does. Benning got a steal in Hughes, I will give him credit for that and hos contract.

6 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Boeser was the worst player on the ice. Terrible passes, terrible giveaways, missed shots and some which he fanned on but am more pissed about his passing. Dude passes the puck to the boards instead of passing it to his teammates. Its either passing behind or very far ahead of his teammate which drove me nuts. Thought he was blind for a moment. I really hope JR trades Boeser and keeps Miller and Horvat. His qualifying offer is not worth his play on ice and he is very slow. Canucks can get a better player for that top 6 imo.

Boeser looks slow out there.  Probably the slowest guy in the top 9.  I don't think he has alot of trade value right now.  Miller can be traded for a King's ransom.  If we are not in a playoff race you have to trade Miller to maximize your assets.  Boeser can be re-evaluated next year.  Maybe he can go to BO's skating coach and get some help.  He will also be playing for a contract next year unless he signs long term in the summer so he will be motivated to have a good year next year.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Horvat and Miller is fine, Boeser is complete trash. He is very slow and a very bad passer and he is not shooting like his rookie year. Canucks will get some value back by trading him now. I just hope they dont re-sign him.

Why criticize a win? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser looks slow out there.  Probably the slowest guy in the top 9.  I don't think he has alot of trade value right now.  Miller can be traded for a King's ransom.  If we are not in a playoff race you have to trade Miller to maximize your assets.  Boeser can be re-evaluated next year.  Maybe he can go to BO's skating coach and get some help.  He will also be playing for a contract next year unless he signs long term in the summer so he will be motivated to have a good next year.

Biggest mistake is to re-sign a played to an extensive contract when he doesnt deserve it. And worst getting rid of our best players to re-sign inferior players. This is why our team is not good. Got rid of Tanev and Tofolli just to keep crappy players like Virtanen. This I feel is a similar situation. Losing more good players doesnt improve the team. Unless Miller can get us 2 NHL ready D prospects, they should not trade him for some magic beans. Boeser, even if we dont get much for him, it will still be fine because it opens up 6 to 7 million in cap space. That cap space can ve used to get a much better player than Boeser.

What a game. Schenn's game go attitude is infectious. We hit and finished checks, was great to see. I think that was key. We fought for the prime real estate in front of the net. Boeser scored a tough tough goal standing in the crease. He's smart enough to know a Greasy goal could make the difference. I don't think Laffs expected to get hit so much tonight. It was good to see the laff plumbers taking a lot of their shots instead of the 10M guys. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Why criticize a win? 

Not criticizing the win but honestly we didnt deserve to win and lucky to have Demko back there. The losses to Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida and almost losing to Leafs just shows the team needs A LOT of work and I mean  lots. I am happy that Demko won. 

9 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Now people can see the value in Hughes. None of our D can skate the puck out of trouble like he does. Benning got a steal in Hughes, I will give him credit for that and hos contract.

Hughes in for Hunt would have been amazing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, khay said:

Myers made some pretty tough D plays to cancel out even more grade A scoring chances - playing a team like the Leafs you need both ... Liked to see OEL jumping in - the TO's system is suspect to grade A counter attack's as well, odd man's rushes, can see how that's a weakness if they aren't outscoring the teams they play because it's tough on the D and the goalies especially if they aren't as busy to make the same grade A saves. 

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Biggest mistake is to re-sign a played to an extensive contract when he doesnt deserve it. And worst getting rid of our best players to re-sign inferior players. This is why our team is not good. Got rid of Tanev and Tofolli just to keep crappy players like Virtanen. This I feel is a similar situation. Losing more good players doesnt improve the team. Unless Miller can get us 2 NHL ready D prospects, they should not trade him for some magic beans. Boeser, even if we dont get much for him, it will still be fine because it opens up 6 to 7 million in cap space. That cap space can ve used to get a much better player than Boeser.

JR will only trade Miller for a King's ransom.  He's not going to trade him for a bunch of B prospects and draft picks.  Schneider, Kravtsov and a 1st round pick would be a starting point.  If we throw Motte and Schenn into the deal and we can get Lafreniere instead of Kravtsov then you have to pull the trigger.  I don't see the Rangers trading Lafreniere however.

• Vintage 2