The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Feb. 17, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

If there's one player that has regressed under BB, it's definitely hog. I can't figure out why.

I don't think that's actually the case. I see him getting tonnes of quality chances and shots.

He just can't seem to finish.

It could occur where a lucky one goes in and then the floodgates open.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Putgolzin said:

I don't think that's actually the case. I see him getting tonnes of quality chances and shots.

He just can't seem to finish.

It could occur where a lucky one goes in and then the floodgates open.

Hopefully that's what happens because I like hoglander.

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

LA i believe is on a 94 pt pace. 

If Canucks go 10-4 in their next 14 heading into TDL (which i think is very doable) , they'll be at a 92 pt pace. 

Thats pretty close and we definitely have a good chance. 

Pretty close to not making the playoffs. lol. Worst spot to be in. Not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to get a top pick.

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Pretty close to not making the playoffs. lol. Worst spot to be in. Not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to get a top pick.

I think if they go 10-4, they will get in. It means they have been playing high calibre hockey 46 games at that point. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

This team isn’t rebuilding.

The days of getting top 5 picks are over.

If we wanna get good young players it will come through trades and development of the players already in our system.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This team isn’t rebuilding.

The days of getting top 5 picks are over.

If we wanna get good young players it will come through trades and development of the players already in our system.

No I don’t want them to rebuild either but I still don’t think people realize how far off we are from having enough pieces on this team to be up there with Tampa, Colorado, Florida. That’s where we should all want this team to be. Being a playoff bubble team won’t get us anywhere. If you aren’t in it to win the cup then what is the point? So many people just want them to make the playoffs but you have to be realistic about this roster and see the flaws. It’s needs a lot of help still. Some people think it is so important to just get into the playoffs this year. Long term it’s not. Are fans that desperate to make the playoffs this year they are willing to sacrifice getting valuable assets we need to become elite? I don’t know about everyone else but I would rather the team be elite than mediocre.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

11 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

No I don’t want them to rebuild either but I still don’t think people realize how far off we are from having enough pieces on this team to be up there with Tampa, Colorado, Florida. That’s where we should all want this team to be. Being a playoff bubble team won’t get us anywhere. If you aren’t in it to win the cup then what is the point? So many people just want them to make the playoffs but you have to be realistic about this roster and see the flaws. It’s needs a lot of help still. Some people think it is so important to just get into the playoffs this year. Long term it’s not. Are fans that desperate to make the playoffs this year they are willing to sacrifice getting valuable assets we need to become elite? I don’t know about everyone else but I would rather the team be elite than mediocre.

And how did Colorado and Tampa get some of those pieces?

Through good drafting (not necessarily high picks) and trades.

Trading Duchene and Drouin got them key pieces to their roster. Which is exactly what we need to do now.

Edited by DeNiro

That was an ugly win, but I wouldn't say we didn't deserve it. We should have put it away in regulation. 
Miller has half our overtime game winners now... maybe we shouldn't trade him. 
I thought Pettersson looked really good. Had some insane dangles.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Nave said:

That was an ugly win, but I wouldn't say we didn't deserve it. We should have put it away in regulation. 
Miller has half our overtime game winners now... maybe we shouldn't trade him. 
I thought Pettersson looked really good. Had some insane dangles.

Yea Petey was definitely busting out the dangles.

He just needs to keep his feet moving and find the open space more.

As soon as he’s bodied or tied up it’s over.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Harold Drunken said:

Well, you mentioned one of the reasons for the struggles was a 5th string goalie....so that's kind of insinuating he was part of the problem, no?

I mentioned the issues they were dealing with... the goalie did amazing, but the whole situation disrupted the team.. including both keepers being put on Covid protocol. 
So you don't think half the team missing mattered?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

LA i believe is on a 94 pt pace. 

If Canucks go 10-4 in their next 14 heading into TDL (which i think is very doable) , they'll be at a 92 pt pace. 

Thats pretty close and we definitely have a good chance. 

Yes we have odds against it, but so does ANA, SJ and i believe probably LA too.   At this point it's for sure looking like a wild card spot now that EDM and CAL have added guys.    So that means we are in direct competition with the CALI teams, plus WNP and Dallas for one of the last two spots.   Have no idea what is going to happen, but do still have hope we can miraculously make the show. 

• Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea Petey was definitely busting out the dangles.

He just needs to keep his feet moving and find the open space more.

As soon as he’s bodied or tied up it’s over.

I think if he gains some strength and weight without losing his soft hands, he could be a very dangerous player.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes we have odds against it, but so does ANA, SJ and i believe probably LA too.   At this point it's for sure looking like a wild card spot now that EDM and CAL have added guys.    So that means we are in direct competition with the CALI teams, plus WNP and Dallas for one of the last two spots.   Have no idea what is going to happen, but do still have hope we can miraculously make the show. 

This is exactly what I'm worried about.  We have the potential to hang right around the 'playoff bubble' and then lose out just at then end when everyone realized we were never that close - everyone had games in hand all along.  From JR's comments recently it seems like even if they're anywhere close they'll be keeping assets (Miller/BB/Garland/etc...) in order to maximize their chances of playoffs - exactly what the Benning regime did for ages keeping us in perpetual mediocrity, and eventually losing significant assets for nothing, for his entire tenure here.  People will argue that if they don't make it this this season then management will probably make moves in the off-season - but there's no guarantees they'll do that either. 

Other's have said it before, I'll throw it out there again, I don't want a one-and-done playoff round just to Aquillini can make some bank.  I want JR to build a perennial contender.  This team, as is, is nowhere near that and I don't think that's even debatable, as such, moves need to be made - why wait to make those moves when you can do it now and get that process going sooner rather than later.  Yes, I realize it take two to make a deal - I believe there will be motivated buyers but do we have a motivated seller? 

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Nave said:

I think if he gains some strength and weight without losing his soft hands, he could be a very dangerous player.

I know he gets frustrated when the media asks about his weight at the beginning of each season but he needs to realize that’s the next step he needs to take.

Adding 10 lbs of muscle could make a world of difference.

• Vintage 1