The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

16 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if we're going to take Muzzy and his LTIR I wouldn't want to retain. Maybe we can send them Ferland to make up the difference. 

375k for two years balances the cap number between the Myers and Muzzin contracts, but maybe they'd be open to Ferland who knows 

12 minutes ago, Podz92 said:

He honestly doesn't have any say where he goes. His no trade clause doesn't kick in until his new contract comes into effect. So he kinda opened himself up to an unlimited market and may have done the Canucks management a big favor by signing that deal (Of course it would have been better if his play hadn't been so off this year so far) 

you really think any other ufa and agents will consider signing with vancouver ever again if you dump a player after they signed a max extension right before it kicks in?

every player signing with vancouver will want a full NTC here on out

Edited by wai_lai416

Just now, Coconuts said:

375k for two years balances the cap number between the Myers and Muzzin contracts, but maybe they'd be open to Ferland who knows 

I'd say let TO find a way to balance it, we can't afford to keep carrying dead cap. Unless TO is coughing up their 1st I wouldn't want to retain and deal with LTIR for two years. 

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

you really think any other ufa and agents will consider signing with vancouver ever again if you dump a player after they signed a max extension right before it kicks in?

Well for the next three years, that's the best news for anyone that wants to see this team be a contender. Even if canucks free up cap space, gauranteed they blow it on someone stupid. And yes I think players will come here as UFA, because we continually give them more then they could get anywhere else...

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'd say let TO find a way to balance it, we can't afford to keep carrying dead cap. Unless TO is coughing up their 1st I wouldn't want to retain and deal with LTIR for two years. 

Eh, I'm not as fussy about retaining cap as some if it facilitates a deal that brings in assets 

That's what rebuilding teams do

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

every player signing with vancouver will want a full NTC here on out

Yes, I do. No concerns about that at all. There already exists a bias against signing in Canada and that wouldn’t make it any worse at all for us. 

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Myers (375k retained) for Muzzin's 5.625M+. They both have this season and next on their deals but given Muzzin's got a spinal injury there's a strong chance he simply never plays again. 

The key part is what is the +? They ain't gonna have us eating Muzzin's likely LTIR while giving them a serviceable player for peanuts. Picks/prospects would be the price. 

This is the exact kind of a move a rebuilding squad makes.

Good call

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Yes, I do. No concerns about that at all. There already exists a bias against signing in Canada and that wouldn’t make it any worse at all for us. 

lol it'll also affect all our current roster player.. imagine EP refuse to sign a long term extension with the canucks until the final year of his RFA expires because he doesn't want to risk the team backstabbing him and trade him as soon as he re-signs to a long term. set a precedent? it's going to be on the back of the mind of every single player. no agents will want to deal with JR/PA unless they want to overpay the hell out of them.. just because there's already a bias against signing in Canada let's make the team the least desirable city and management group to deal with?

36 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Eh, I'm not as fussy about retaining cap as some if it facilitates a deal that brings in assets 

That's what rebuilding teams do

thats why I said coughing up a 1st to do it. TO needs a 4/5 RHD as much as we do right now, and shedding that LTIR helps them too. 

So we'll see, I suspect they'll go for something lower cost but who knows. 

And are we rebuilding? 

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats why I said coughing up a 1st to do it. TO needs a 4/5 RHD as much as we do right now, and shedding that LTIR helps them too. 

And are we rebuilding? 

I wouldn't even do it for a first.  Any retention of cap longer than one season is grounds for the entire management team to be fired on the spot.  We're finally almost done with the dead cap caused by Gillis and Benning being stupid; let's not repeat their mistakes. 

26 minutes ago, JM_ said:

And are we rebuilding? 

Hard to say, but I imagine we'll have an idea sooner than later

I certainly think we should 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hard to say, but I imagine we'll have an idea sooner than later

I certainly think we should 

I do too. 

I wonder what the heck is really going on in that front office right now. Denial? Shock? Anger? some kind of big chart with a plan on it? 

The Myers to TO thing does make some sense. I'd rather take a lower return and not take Muzzins LTIR, or retain. Dubie is kind of on the hot seat to fix that d. So he'll go get a F. 

25 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I wouldn't even do it for a first.  Any retention of cap longer than one season is grounds for the entire management team to be fired on the spot.  We're finally almost done with the dead cap caused by Gillis and Benning being stupid; let's not repeat their mistakes. 

if we're tanking then its a different scenario. I just don't know what we're doing, maybe they don't know yet either. 

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our owner knows.  And it’s definitely not tanking. 

Anyone who thinks we are going to tank is delusional.

JR has a couple of years until retirement.  He is not here to tank and start a rebuild.

We will have some trades and a shot at a rebuild on the fly.

Period.

Whether or not that is the best plan is completely irrelevant to the reality of what will happen.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our owner knows.  And it’s definitely not tanking. 

dunno.. he looked pretty unhappy at the HHoF night. 

I think if he's shown the numbers and can still make money during a tank he'd do it. Maybe the accountants are busy working on that.