The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

So everyone agrees that rd is the position most in need of additions, but one of the moves in that direction is to trade the #1rd?

If we want more then 1st round playoffs I'd say you damn well better try to get better than Myers schenn and burr2.0? Lol

If I was in charge. I would try to use Miller to fetch me that #1RD for huggy. If I have to retain, Maybe even add I'm going for it. Single most important next step is setting huggy up for long term success.. which leads to team success as he is one of our few guys who make s$&t happen out there

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

So everyone agrees that rd is the position most in need of additions, but one of the moves in that direction is to trade the #1rd?

IF the move or subsequent move includes a RD coming back I have no issue with it, I’ve also stated many times here that I have zero issue with Myers staying. 

We have to move salary one way or another to fix the RD and there are multiple options to do so. 

6 minutes ago, AV. said:

Moving Jeff Petry and former first-round pick Ryan Poehling to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Montreal native Mike Matheson and a 2023 fourth-round pick didn’t achieve Hughes’ main objective, which he said on multiple occasions was to gain long-term cap flexibility for the Canadiens in honouring the trade request Petry made earlier this year.  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/under-unfavourable-circumstances-hughes-lands-acceptable-petry-trade-for-canadiens/

The above illustrates that there could very well be a market for Myers seeing as it was widely known that Petry wanted out and yet MTL still had the ability to trade him and recoup as well.

Yes, we’ve both established Petry is a different type of player but it still goes to show that given all the circumstance (contract, age, disgruntled player) a team still wanted him and his term. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AV. said:

See, there lies the issue.  Everybody claims there *could* be a team with interest (and I agree, it's a possibility) but nobody seems to be able to provide a name of an actual club that might have this interest in Myers.

Kind of a proves my point, no?

Here’s the thing too, moving Myers doesn’t have to be a 1 for 1 for a RD, it could be Myers + + if need be for an upgrade, not my preferred root but still an option, it could be Myers for prospects and picks or any combo of the two then trading Miller/Garland/ etc to get a RD in return. 

Any holes in the lineup in the fallout can be filled by moving out any one or combo of Pearson/Dickinson/Poolman. As for specific teams I have no clue like was said in the thread we are not GM’s and don't know what team is doing/looking for what outside of speculation from the rumour mill. Me throwing out specific teams and deals for Myers is as stupid and pointless as you saying there is no market for him. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm a myers fan too, but we both know that fixing the right d isn't about making additions, it's about making improvements and prioritizing more sensible cap allocation.  

thats why Myers is still here, we don't have a better option for less money in the system, and likely not in trade unless we're paying a lot for it. 

Klingberg is still out there, who we could get by moving Garland and Dickie but that would have happened by now if that was going to be a thing. 

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The above illustrates that there could very well be a market for Myers seeing as it was widely known that Petry wanted out and yet MTL still had the ability to trade him and recoup as well.

Yes, we’ve both established Petry is a different type of player but it still goes to show that given all the circumstance (contract, age, disgruntled player) a team still wanted him and his term. 

Never said a market didn't exist.  I said that there are bad optics and obvious pitfalls that make a deal tough and lessen the overall market.

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Here’s the thing too, moving Myers doesn’t have to be a 1 for 1 for a RD, it could be Myers + + if need be for an upgrade, not my preferred root but still an option, it could be Myers for prospects and picks or any combo of the two then trading Miller/Garland/ etc to get a RD in return. 

Any holes in the lineup in the fallout can be filled by moving out any one or combo of Pearson/Dickinson/Poolman. As for specific teams I have no clue like was said in the thread we are not GM’s and don't know what team is doing/looking for what outside of speculation from the rumour mill. Me throwing out specific teams and deals for Myers is as stupid and pointless as you saying there is no market for him. 

Who said anything about a 1 for 1?

I'm talking about two separate deals here.  1) To acquire a RD and 2) To move Myers.  Hard to facilitate item 2 and when item 1 is also a priority and teams know this.  You can go on and on about different needs, different teams, different whatever, but they are connected.  A team moving a player in a position that isn't a strength is still going to raise questions.

And AGAIN, I have never said a market doesn't exist, I have only ever said that making a deal around Myers is difficult (and it is).  Please try and comprehend what you're reading before jumping to conclusions.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

IF the move or subsequent move includes a RD coming back I have no issue with it, I’ve also stated many times here that I have zero issue with Myers staying. 

We have to move salary one way or another to fix the RD and there are multiple options to do so. 

And why would a team ever do that?  Trade a lower salary Rd for a higher salary Rd?  

I don't see Myers going anywhere

21 minutes ago, RWJC said:

And it cost them Poehling to move him.......are you ok with giving up a top prospect?

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

And it cost them Poehling to move him.......are you ok with giving up a top prospect?

is poehling really still a top prospect? he's basically a season away from being just another hunter shinkaruk.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

And why would a team ever do that?  Trade a lower salary Rd for a higher salary Rd?  

I don't see Myers going anywhere

In some CDC'ers minds there's a way to trade Myers and somehow end up with Shea Theodore without losing any additional assets.  Like they've read about the guy who traded a paper clip for a house and believe the same strategy applies here.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Then what's the point and why would any teams just exchange rd's?

Weber for Subban just on a much lesser level.  We move Myers to a team that needs an offensive minded guy for their defensive guy.  

Seattle needs Myers and we need Larsson.  Perfect trade for both teams. 

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Just as an example, If NJ wanted to add some size and knew DS isnt going to sign.. I would do Myers + for him. This would help us and maybe them, Depending on everyone's situation and the current market / timing obviously

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Just as an example, If NJ wanted to add some size and knew DS isnt going to sign.. I would do Myers + for him. This would help us and maybe them, Depending on everyone's situation and the current market / timing obviously

I'm betting jersey would do a straight swap in a heartbeat. Severson is an absolute train wreck in his own zone.

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

If you think Poehling is a top prospect then I’d be more than happy to trade some of my “prospects” with you, Stawns Milbury.

Poehling is considered potentially 4th line depth IF he was to make the team out of camp. That is his expected ceiling. Regardless, yes it cost MTL a depth piece and a solid contributing vet, but they got that in return for much cheaper and a 4th round pick. That is still worth something. I wouldn’t consider it a loss on either side. More so

a good hockey trade given intentions of both teams.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I'm betting jersey would do a straight swap in a heartbeat. Severson is an absolute train wreck in his own zone.

I don't think he's great either. But players excell in different situations.. we know what we got in Myers, and severson isn't a downgrade at the very least imo

36 minutes ago, stawns said:

As I stated defensive dman for Myers who can contribute offensively if there is a match for a team with the Canucks adding if need be. OR a separate trade for a RD entirely. As I said there are many options right now. 

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Not sure why people keep parroting this about Severson but he's far from a trainwreck defensively. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

As I stated defensive dman for Myers who can contribute offensively if there is a match for a team with the Canucks adding if need be. OR a separate trade for a RD entirely. As I said there are many options right now. 

Is t that the definition of Myers?  He's playing a shutdown role while contributing a little on offense